Guild Wars - Nightfall edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike

Tell me Jam's opinion - I want to see if he is right.
    See, I was right. It devalues the titles to make them easier to acheive. Kind of a Big Deal my arse. Anyone can get these titles.
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
      The "skill part" refers to player skill, not the skills that the character aquires. In that way the game is a lot more skill focused than WoW, for example.

Also, the cunning and craft needed to select JUST the right 8 skills to go on that skillbar, that synergy perfectly with the 8 skills on each of your party members' skillbars... well... there's a game in itself.
      //agreed//

On the "themepark", thats a rather popular description of games like WOW and EQ, where you have certain areas for certain levels, and you grind out killing monsters usually via quests but sometimes just grinding so you can "level up" and go to the next area, and rinse and repeat. These games are invariably "level based".

Thge corolllary would be a "sandbox" game like UO, SWG or EVE Online, where there is no scripted "path" to follow. The game is essentially a wide open "sandbox" where you can do what you want to do, when you want to do it and the path to success is defined by you, not completing that next quest and "leveling up". These games are almost always "skills based"

GW's IMHO is not really either genre, it is it's own stand alone genre. Hence its not really fair to compare the two because you are essentialy comparing apples and oranges, although Guild Wars has elements of both types of games within it.

Hopefully that sort of explains "themepark" games.

Nothing against WoW, its commercial success speaks for itself, but its just not the kind of game I want to play.

Ill stick with GW's and EVE Online thank you very much
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        Well try playing with a noob group and a pro group and see if you can identify the difference. If there is no skill in the game you shouldn't be able to see one.
        //agreed//

I am definately to the point where I prefer henchies to pugs, and heros to henchies.
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

See, I was right. It devalues the titles to make them easier to acheive. Kind of a Big Deal my arse. Anyone can get these titles.
          Yup. People know me will be the new koabd.

Comment

I think they will add another level after People Know Me, if they make this change.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This thread is kinda like a lot of the emails I get at the moment. Some friends have signed me up for their clan (is that even the right termonology?) and now I get loads of emails where I don;t understand a single thing they talk about. I seem to be experiencing game through proxy.

Should I ever get round to playing the game it seems very combat heavy? Is there an economic aspect? I often enjoy the RPG aspect of single player games more than the combat...does that feature in GW? Does life continue when you;re not online?

Spike, why is this game so great ??

OK carry on now with your talk of dwarves and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Standup

Should I ever get round to playing the game it seems very combat heavy?
                It is all about combat in the end. It does this very well however, forcing foreplanning and interesting choices and decisions in making your build and your party.

Is there an economic aspect?
                There is a surface of one, almost. But not really.

I often enjoy the RPG aspect of single player games more than the combat...does that feature in GW?
                It's got a decent to good storyline, but other than that, no.

Does life continue when you;re not online?
                No, it's a single player style storyline which doesn't change till you play along it.

Well, I'm not spike but I like it because it is combat intensive, which it does very well, and doesn't waste my time on things like economics, RP, and the world don't move while I'm offline.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                  I think they will add another level after People Know Me, if they make this change.
                  Almost certainly.

Koabd was (prior to NF) based on needing one stupid grind title to get it. PKM will be attainable based on the sensible titles (maps, missions, elites + maybe sunspear) under the proposed model. Thus 15 works out pretty well for the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by Standup

Should I ever get round to playing the game it seems very combat heavy? Is there an economic aspect? I often enjoy the RPG aspect of single player games more than the combat...does that feature in GW? Does life continue when you;re not online?

OK carry on now with your talk of dwarves and stuff

It is combat heavy. There is an economy, and lots of people find trading materials and rare items fun. The market is constantly moving since Anet make rare stuff less rare over time to keep noobs happy and then create new rare stuff to keep hardcores happy, then the cycle begins again.

There is no RPG aspect really - it's a tactical RPG not a role-playing one per se.

I've posted why I think it is great above. Whether it is right for you is another question.

Comment

If you like a lot of combat and a lot of strategy involved in taking what limited skills you are allowed bounced off what your party should bring as well, this could be the game for you.

If you want an immersive/persistent world ala mainstream MMO's than no.

If you want twitch FPS to satisfy those ADD urges then no.

The economy is very simple, but there is enough there to dabble if you so desire, if not, its not required or you dont have to do it to get ahead.

get a 10 hour trial key from someone and try it out.

Its all about strategy and what skills you should bring vs what you anticipate to encounter. This gets even more "creative" in PvP

Comment

Ok anyone beat Nightfall yet? If so how long did it take you approximately in hours..........?

Comment

On 2 chars so far. Going through with a old char then going to focus on PvP.

First char was quite slow as I did almost all of the side quests, around 40-50 hours I guess. Second was quite a lot faster, around 30 hours.

Comment

My monk is now a Protector of Elona. The last 4 missions, I got in a great group that went masters all the way to the end.

The pain was the other missions that I skipped that I needed to get masters for. Got some horrible groups. In Horde, we got a Legendary Survivor monk, who tried to leech off of us. He already had maxed the title, so there was no point. Maybe he thought they'd add more to it later. Well, too bad for him, we lost.

As for the length, it still took me awhile, since I mapped most of the Elona along the way. I'd say Dr. Spike's estimate is fairly accurate.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Nice one, haven't got protector yet.

Comment

Thanks gents, definately longer than Factions then

Comment

Working...
                                X