No announcement yet.

Guild Wars - Nightfall edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may just have to get this game, I didn't know there was a single player part to it......

Do I need all 3 boxes?

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

no you don't.. i just bought it and it's my first...i'm an older gamer 60...great game

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
        I may just have to get this game, I didn't know there was a single player part to it......
        There's no separate SP part. As always with GW you can choose henchman companions over human ones. However, with NF for up to 3 'heroes' you can select their skills and upgrade their armour and weapons, and even control key skills if necessary, which makes it much easier to play through alone if you are a bit of a social reject.

Comment

Yeah ... I call SP the PvE stuff. It feels a lot like SP to me, in that the AI folks in SP games have give or take the same skill/ability level of most of the PUGs ... I play it for a lot of the same reasons, adding a bit of socialization and such that I miss in SP Morrowind etc.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25

UnO and I and another guy (Merrial) just formed our own mom and pop guild, if you start playing again and need a couple of buddies come find us in the Guild Wars section of MZO.

Do you want to play every night? Fine.

Want to play once a month? Thats fine too.

I think all of us to one degree or another got fed up with all the Guild bullcrap so we formed our own mom and pop, if nothing else so you wouldn't get spammed to join that next uber l33t guild everytime you logged on

You dont need Factions to enjoy Nightfall, and the only reason I ever got "faction" was to get Factions armor for my monk.

So if you start playing and need a small very casual group to hang with come check us out.

Merrial and I are Eastern time and UnO is Mountain, the three of us usually dont get on together until about 900PM Chicago time so the time zones should work pretty well for you.
            If I get Nightfall I'll join up with ya ... that's very much an If, and it's very much an After Christmas Darn This Retail Business...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

No problem snoopdog, just toss us a shout at MZO and we will hook ya up.
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Kinjiru, saw your post at poly, the next time Im in game Ill toss ya a guild invite
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Beat ya to it.

Just in case you don't know, Kinjiru, you'll have to open the guild panel (G on default settings) and accept the invitation.
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Good cause Im off to a retreat with my kids (Church thing) so the earliest I could get on is sunday night USA time.

Comment

Thanks for the invite. Ole Man Kinjy accepted this morning.

Now if I could just get this weekend's honey-do list knocked out I will be able to sit down and play!

Comment

No need to feel rushed, that's sorta the point of the guild, real life comes first.

I think most of the guild is largely 'off' today, anyway.
                        Merrial out for the weekend with a bum knee, con and his kids out of town, and I'm heading out for my mom's Bday.
                        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Well, I just bought Nightfall, my first experience with Guild Wars. I must say it is a bit disappointing. I remember posting a question about which game to get (wow or GW) a while back.

As much as I hate to say it, I enjoy wow more. GW's graphics and interface don't look as good to me and the sense of immersion is less. The cohesion of the world is not there. Of course that's coming from playing wow for a while now, so i'm used to that interface.

I'm giving it a chance though. As far as skill is concerned, i've heard alot about GW being more skill focused. I don't see it yet. The only difference I see beyond the more expansive class combos is being allowed to only carry a set number of skills as opposed to being able to equip many more in WOW. And I bet most people in wow only use a handful of their favorite skills anyway, even though they are all available. So it's baically the same?

Oy, more and more I find myself needing to trust no one with regards to game reviews.

I have just started, so my opinion may change after adapting to the game more.
                          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Eh... yeah, so in WoW you use a few of your favorite skills..

So you use like a few skills all your time as that character.. and there are a few builds (sometimes as few as one, depending on how good they are doing with balance) that you can respect into that gives you maybe 3-4 builds top per character (class).

In Guild Wars you can switch between secondaries almost at will, and can respec your skills at will. And there are 50+ skills per 'class'.. so with secondaries over 90 skills per character (class - with some overlap). This gives a huge number of different skills to set play style and etc.. versus WoW where you only get a couple new skills every 10 levels (After the first 20) and mostly just get upgrades of your skills every 2 levels.

For WoW your equipment is the big factor.. and it is mostly just improving one build. In GW, for the most part, your equipment is a relatively minor part.. while skill selection and skill at using those skills are a much larger part of the game.

As you can see, I am a big fan of GW, despite not really playing it for a year and playing WoW currently (it is what my freinds are playing..).

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If you play it like WoW (choose one 'build' and stick with it, focusing on improving your equipment) yeah, it won't be as good. As WoW is a much more equipment focused game and has a lot more development there (also, a lot more leveling, so a lot more advancement in the strength of your skills also).

To get the most out of GW you have to be imaginative, and try new and different builds.

I actually consider WoW sort of a limited game as far as your character is concerned.. really the only differences you have are in what talents you take, and what items you acquire.. and generally, for a certain 'build' there are only a few good options. So you end up looking and playing basically like everyone else that plays your build. The only real way to be unique is to do something that isn't ideal.. but it fun, which isn't as satisfying..

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, GW is very, well, boring till you hit lvl 20 (max level) and start facing some serious competition, IMO.

Almost everyone I know's first impression was "this sucks" the first few hours on starter island as they just wander around and whack everything at will with no problems.

Eventually it becomes "this sucks" as they get to a place that is too hard for them to pass while they've been using the same build for the whole game to that point.

Those that stick it out at start and learn to adapt to these challenges later are the ones GW sucks in.

For Nightfall, it's about Vabbi where things start kicking up the difficulty level for me to where I'm not just blasting through absolutely everything, though I have heard of others having problems much earlier.
                                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X