Guild Wars - Nightfall edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vee4473
    Well, I just bought Nightfall, my first experience with Guild Wars. I must say it is a bit disappointing. I remember posting a question about which game to get (wow or GW) a while back.

As much as I hate to say it, I enjoy wow more. GW's graphics and interface don't look as good to me and the sense of immersion is less. The cohesion of the world is not there. Of course that's coming from playing wow for a while now, so i'm used to that interface.

I'm giving it a chance though. As far as skill is concerned, i've heard alot about GW being more skill focused. I don't see it yet. The only difference I see beyond the more expansive class combos is being allowed to only carry a set number of skills as opposed to being able to equip many more in WOW. And I bet most people in wow only use a handful of their favorite skills anyway, even though they are all available. So it's baically the same?

Oy, more and more I find myself needing to trust no one with regards to game reviews.

I have just started, so my opinion may change after adapting to the game more.
    As most will know I am a slight fan of the GW series.

However, even I will accept that if you want an immersive world, you should play an MMO. If you want traditional character progression (slower levelling and item grind) play an MMO.

The beauty of Guild Wars is in the rich tactical possibilities for both individual and team builds, the latter both PvE and PvP. On this count it just blows away any online RPG (including MMOs) on the market right now.

Comment

If you LIKE doing the same thing over and over to get from level 48 to 49 then GW is probably not the game for you.
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
        If you LIKE doing the same thing over and over to get from level 48 to 49 then GW is probably not the game for you.
        No, that is a major flaw in wow design. Although the first time through wow, the grinding to 60 isn't as noticeable since the game is new to you and there are so many quests to do which "camouflage" the grinding so to speak. The feel of the "grind" comes in if you roll alts of the same race.

I'm liking GW, don't get me wrong at all. And the large number of potential character combos intrigues me. I'm just stating a first impression regarding the look and feel and how I don't really see the skill part yet regarding the difference between having 50 skills all available at once or 8 at one time.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

As you hit the "harder" areas, using strategy in what 8 skills you take is going to become very important. Its also probably even more important in PvP.

Its all about the strategy

But if you need immersion and a typical themepark path to level, you are better off playing WOW.

I for one will not play WOW just because Im at that point in my gaming where I abhor "themepark" MMO's. Thats not saying WOW is bad its just not for me.
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

The "skill part" refers to player skill, not the skills that the character aquires. In that way the game is a lot more skill focused than WoW, for example.

Also, the cunning and craft needed to select JUST the right 8 skills to go on that skillbar, that synergy perfectly with the 8 skills on each of your party members' skillbars... well... there's a game in itself.
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by themepark mmo, but anyway. I don't NEED immersion, but things like that add to the fun to me.

I unserstand that the skill refers to player skill. I'm still learning the game but so far the only difference I see between having a large pool of skills that you can carry all at once (wow) or a large pool that you can only use 8 of at a time (GW) is the fact that in GW you have to travel back to a hub to switch them out to try again if they aren't the best combo.

I guess you can call that "skill" if ya like. shrug. Although I will admit that the large number of class combos beats wow hands down and in that respect it's much less likely to run into the same character twice.
              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

oh and i fully admit that my opinion may indeed change after I get into the game more and really experience all the combos out there.

Comment

Jamski, I saw your post on guild guru and I disagree with you.

But I respect your position. If they do make the Elite skills title chapter specific, then they should do more for the multi-title title. . .title.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                    For Nightfall, it's about Vabbi where things start kicking up the difficulty level for me to where I'm not just blasting through absolutely everything, though I have heard of others having problems much earlier.
                    Yeah, for Vabbi I had to up my party of 6 to 7. And even then those horrible Scytheclaw behemoths and the necro monsters that hang out with them give me trouble. Since I'm playing my monk, they all go after me, even when I'm smiting. Glad I'm finished mapping Vabbi.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                      Not sure what you mean by themepark mmo, but anyway. I don't NEED immersion, but things like that add to the fun to me.

I unserstand that the skill refers to player skill. I'm still learning the game but so far the only difference I see between having a large pool of skills that you can carry all at once (wow) or a large pool that you can only use 8 of at a time (GW) is the fact that in GW you have to travel back to a hub to switch them out to try again if they aren't the best combo.

I guess you can call that "skill" if ya like. shrug. Although I will admit that the large number of class combos beats wow hands down and in that respect it's much less likely to run into the same character twice.
                      Though you have more than 8 skills available at one time in WoW there are a small handful of viable templates (talent wise) for each class, and everyone uses basically the same skills. In GW this isn't the case.

Also in GW the real 'skill' dimension comes in team building which adds another layer. In WoW every raid has prety much the same composition of classes doing prety much the same thing.

As a last point the whole combat model in GW is just way more advanced than WoW, which is built for solo play to 60 then 20/40 man raids afterwards. The system of enchants, hexes, conditions, shouts, echos, stances and spirits mean that on top of there being more skills there is more depth in the model through which those skills interact with the game.

And, to top it off, I am not biased and really like WoW.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                        Jamski, I saw your post on guild guru and I disagree with you.

But I respect your position. If they do make the Elite skills title chapter specific, then they should do more for the multi-title title. . .title.
                        Tell me Jam's opinion - I want to see if he is right.

Comment

That separating the Elite skill title by chapter will devalue KoaBD.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well that's obviously the case.

Comment

ok Spike, i'm gonna keep my thoughts in check until I play more.

I did mention that the sheer number of possibilities regarding builds is better than what wow has. I just have yet to see that more builds available = a game needing more skill that's all.

wow needs no skill for the part, and i've yet to see that simply adding a whole lot more build possibilities changes that, rather than just adding interest. Simple doesn't neccessarily mean less skill.

also, in pve certain builds are used because the bosses are scripted. are the GW bosses not scripted? if so, then having more build options means more variety yes, but..

Comment

Well try playing with a noob group and a pro group and see if you can identify the difference. If there is no skill in the game you shouldn't be able to see one.

Comment

Working...
                                X