Things you wish games did

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you wish games did

I've been playing some games lately, and it turns out a lot of them are great games, but don't do things I would like to see, they go the extra mile, but they don't go the inch after that, if you get what I mean.

I wish Simcity 4 would be more realistic and model depressions for cities. Nowhere in the world is it just grow, grow, grow for a place, and the focus of the game is on something that in hindsight is actually pretty retarded: traffic flow. Sure, it is somewhat important, but bad traffic doesn't stop the world's great cities. Look at Paris, New York, London, all filled with bad drivers and they're all still world cities. But removal of down cycles prevents cities from gaining a part of history that can't be gained any other way and they all eventually just fill up the whole map with high-rises and highways.

Not to say that Simcity 4 is a bad game. But the only way you can crash a city in the game is to make decisions which give Enron a glow of intelligence, which really isn't how it is in real life. Yes, there are outside factors, always. And the tier system for building densities (the one where the game thinks, "hmm, at 14,000 citizens this city should have 75% level 3 residential, 25% level 2,") just doesn't convert for industrial zones. It's even partially recognized when you only have 3 tiers of industry but 7 or 8 or 9 tiers each of commercial and residential.

But it's still a great game.

Battlefield 1942 is actually pretty good but it doesn't have any kind of fun mode where you just have a constant stream of Nazis or Japs pouring at you to be shot up. That would be "going the extra mile".

Red Faction was a great game but geomod wasn't as well-useable as it should have been. I should've been able to blow EVERYTHING up but I wasn't.

Railroad Tycoon 3 doesn't give enough depth to financial operations. It's still a great game BUT it's just building rail track and putting down trains and buying stock.

Do you all know any games like this? Or any way to fix these things that I've mentioned?
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Got me laid while they 'phoned for a pizza
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Re: Things you wish games did

Originally posted by mrmitchell
      I've been playing some games lately, and it turns out a lot of them are great games, but don't do things I would like to see, they go the extra mile, but they don't go the inch after that, if you get what I mean.

I wish Simcity 4 would be more realistic and model depressions for cities. Nowhere in the world is it just grow, grow, grow for a place, and the focus of the game is on something that in hindsight is actually pretty retarded: traffic flow. Sure, it is somewhat important, but bad traffic doesn't stop the world's great cities. Look at Paris, New York, London, all filled with bad drivers and they're all still world cities. But removal of down cycles prevents cities from gaining a part of history that can't be gained any other way and they all eventually just fill up the whole map with high-rises and highways.

Not to say that Simcity 4 is a bad game. But the only way you can crash a city in the game is to make decisions which give Enron a glow of intelligence, which really isn't how it is in real life. Yes, there are outside factors, always. And the tier system for building densities (the one where the game thinks, "hmm, at 14,000 citizens this city should have 75% level 3 residential, 25% level 2,") just doesn't convert for industrial zones. It's even partially recognized when you only have 3 tiers of industry but 7 or 8 or 9 tiers each of commercial and residential.

But it's still a great game.

Battlefield 1942 is actually pretty good but it doesn't have any kind of fun mode where you just have a constant stream of Nazis or Japs pouring at you to be shot up. That would be "going the extra mile".

Red Faction was a great game but geomod wasn't as well-useable as it should have been. I should've been able to blow EVERYTHING up but I wasn't.

Railroad Tycoon 3 doesn't give enough depth to financial operations. It's still a great game BUT it's just building rail track and putting down trains and buying stock.

Do you all know any games like this? Or any way to fix these things that I've mentioned?
      actually the city where I live does grow, grow, and grow. .

My city never has depressions. Although my city is unique as it's a major tourist attraction that is guranteed to take tourists money.

and what city actually crashes? You don't see cities go out of business. All cities grow. Just some grow more than others. actually I should add that not all cities grow in population. Because cities like Detroit are losing population to cities like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

Everquest 2 can do half of that.

Comment

I just wish games would be fun.

Comment

I will say as games progress thye seem to be modder friendlier for those of us with some primitive,basic modding skills

SWAT4 helps with a fairly easy scenario maker

C & C Generals has a World Builder and it is not too hard to comprehend

Most games either let you write script or alter with a text editor

Ages of EmpireII The Conquerors was pretty easy

CIVIII Conquests is pretty decent as well

Thats what I look for in a game, modding capabilities so when I become complacent I have abilities to do what the companies often do: Produce an add on and call it an expansion pack but not that great

Ok
            thats my $0.02 worth
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

While a coding bug meant that any money-cheats worked irl and in the game.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

While a coding bug meant that any money-cheats worked irl and in the game.
                HELL. YES. QFT.
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Comment

Dissident haven't I b*tched enough about South Arkansas for you to know that there are plenty of cities that all end in , AR and are slowly vanishing away?

Comment

Are those cities or just large towns?
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Are those cities or just large towns?
                        300-person towns all the way up to 20,000-person cities slowly drying up.

Closure of industries, lack of high-capacity transportation through and out of the area, boneheaded political mistakes, poor education, depressions, all of these are things that happen in real life but aren't properly simulated.

Comment

There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Smiley, maybe you've never been outside of California, but down here there's a rule of thumb: if you can drive through it without noticing it, it's not a city.

Even by California standards, certainly 9,000; 13,000; 21,000-size cities should be counted, especially if they used to be tremendously larger--at certain points in time, Camden had 30000 construction workers in it related to the [World] War [II], Smackover had 25000 oil-rushers, etc. History does not entirely happen in metropoli with millions of inhabitants, and if the right things had been done, we would still have those 30000 and 25000 and a hell of a lot more.

Comment

Re: Things you wish games did

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                              I have never played RT 3, but RT 2 was bad for me because there weren't enough railwaying business and too much of this finance nonsense.

Have you played RT 2 or the original? How does the third one compare?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X