• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG: Mafia 27: Bohemian Mafia

Mafia 27: Bohemian Mafia

or, Medieval Murder Mystery

Prologue

Five years ago, in 1301, the young prince Vovan, son of Vovan II of Bohemia, was crowned the King of Hungary based on an old and obscure claim. However, only two Hungarian princes out of over a dozen recognized the claim. Soon the second one of them too started to support Vovan's antiking, Charles Robert of Anjou. As tension in the kingdom grew, the teenaged sovereign grew frightened and asked his father to come get him out. Vovan II raised an army, marched to Prague, rescued his son holed up in the city, and left a regent in charge of things.

Back in Bohemia, Vovan II suddenly fell ill and finally died four years later, in 1305. Vovan III was crowned King of Bohemia, and he relinquished his title of King of Hungary to the Duke of Lower Bavaria.

But in 1300 Vovan II had been crowned King of Poland by warring Polish petty nobles after he had conquered the duchy of Krakow. This claim was now being contested, and while Vovan III did not want to rule Hungary, he did want to rule Poland. He raised an army, and headed out to Poland in 1306 to seize the throne that was his by birth.

Now it's August 1306. The entourage and armies of Vovan III are resting in the town of Olomouc in Moravia - the area that's nowadays known as the area of Morava in eastern Czech Republic. This is where our gloomy tale begins, as the royal entourage settles in at the local inn for a night's sleep.

Code:
    mafia
    Name Title Status
    1. Rah Royal Historian Alive
    2. Nikolai Count of Luxembourg Alive
    3. Skanky Burns Chief of the Royal Bodyguard Alive
    4. Snowflake Princess of Bohemia, sister of Vovan III Alive
    5. Spaced Cowboy Marshal General of the Bohemian Army Alive
    6. Dauphin Bishop of Olomouc Alive
    7. Ljube-ljcvetko Royal Spymaster Alive
    8. Adagio Manservant Alive
    9. DrSpike Royal Healer Alive
    10. Jamski Count of Moravia Alive
    11. Whoha Royal Cook Alive
    12. Hercules Courtier in Charge of Foods and Wares Alive
    13. Jonny Food Taster Alive
    14. Theben Duke of Eastern Bohemia, cousin of Vovan III Alive
    15. Reismark Royal Steward Alive
    16. DarkCloud Ambassador of Albert I, King of the Romans Alive
    17. Sparrowhawk Sparrowhawk of Habsburg, Prince of the Romans Alive
    18. Joncha Chief Advisor Alive
    19. Tuberski Royal Diplomat Alive
    20. Ben Kenobi Archbishop of Bohemia Alive
    21. duke o' york Duke of Lower Northern Middle Bohemia, nephew of Vovan's second cousin Alive
    22. Paddy the Scot Lord of Pomerania Alive
    23. gjramsey Duke of Carinthia, husband of the daughter of Vovan II Alive
    24. Vovan Vovan III, King of Bohemia Alive
    Chapter 1

Vovan III was mortified as he woke up that night, the 6th of August, with an overwhelming sense of dread. He rushed out of his room to the hallway of the disheleved inn the entourage was sleeping in. He felt incredibly hot and could not breathe - he had to get outside. Around the inn, Sir Biff the Understudy was patrolling the surroundings in full plate mail.

"Majesty", Sir Biff acknowledged the presence and knelt down as quickly as he could in his equipment.

"Get up, get up. I'm going have a little stroll."

"Majesty, with all due respect, it is not -"

"Yes, yes, I know. Yet, I do not find myself caring one bit. Just... go do your patrols, Sir Biff."

The trepidating king walked to the woods nearby.

After some minutes had passed, Sir Biff felt his bowels disagreeing with him in a most disgraceful manner.

Having conducted his business at the pit, he pondered whether the king had returned. It had been quite a while already, but when he checked the king's room, it was empty. He had no choice but to alert the bodyguard and the rest of the entourage.

Two hours of the local and the royal guards canvassing the nearby forest was enough. The king of Bohemia, Vovan III, lay dead on a small clearing. DrSpike, the royal physician, examined the body with Chief Advisor Joncha, Sir Skanky of the Royal Guard, Marshal General Spaced and the head of the town guard, Kassiopeia.

"Are you going to handle the corpse? What manner of quackery is this?" Sir Skanky asked of DrSpike. "Certainly your abilities are useless at this stage?"

"I have studied the art of examining the dead and their surroundings. Most unusual things can be discovered with some simple logic", DrSpike explained. "Observe - the land around him is soft, but there are few footprints. I would say two people were here when the act happened, Vovan and the killer. His Majesty also appears to have fallen down on his back. The killer was someone he was familiar with."

"What makes you think of that?" General Spaced asked.

"Again, observe." DrSpike carefully turned the corpse around. "This is most likely what caused the death. He was stabbed in the side. The wound, here, implies that he was struck with a small knife, perhaps a dagger, from a low angle and from the right side. I surmise, thus, that the killer was standing in front of the king, slid under the cover of darkness his hand, with a blade, to his side, and caught him completely unawares. Probably by a quick stroke, the wound is rather deep, straight and narrow."

"The king was face to face with the assassin. Quite clearly a man of his stature would treat so only a person from his own entourage", Kassiopeia concluded. "Lord Joncha, has anyone of the company disappeared over the night? Or Count Jamski, who also slept in the house, for that matter?"

"No one has vanished, save for His Majesty of course."

"That in turn means that the killer is one of the residents of the inn. That includes you, sirs. I must insist that if we are to catch the killer, you must be isolated to the inn, with my men keeping watch so that no one can escape until the guilty one is discovered."

And so was done. To reach a decision that could be accepted by everyone, or at least the most, and with no clear high authority amongst them with the sovereign's tragic passing (and heritance being the muddled affair it was at the time), it was decided that the twenty-three would take a vote. The one with the most votes would be convicted and beheaded on the town square immediately.

Time to vote!

Teh weekend approaches us, methinks it's prudent to have the deadline on Monday.

The story is based on some recorded history. The King of Bohemia, Wenceslaus III, was killed in August 1306 in Olomouc surrounded by unknown circumstances after having left Bohemia to claim the throne of Poland, and after relinquishing the throne of Hungary and after his father Wenceslaus II had perished. Some of the other nobility have an equal in the Europe of the era as well; people who are connected to the Permyslid family, which Vovan/Wenceslaus III was the last king of. I'm going to be making stuff up pretty freely from now on, though.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

What irony. Poor vovan.

I shall avenge his death!!!!!

Comment

Ha. Talk about superior survival strategy.

Oh well.

Vovan
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

That makes me Jan IV of Draschitz

Not an Archbishop yet. Not for awhile.

Just Bishop of Prague.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I think definitely tis the Duke of York tis the culprit but the Royal Cook must be share a portion of t' blame for Sir Biff's untimely departure from p'trolling duties
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Naturally, I'll ask the Bishop of Olomouc (Dauphin) for an alliance.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

if the food taster dies in any way im sol. It was Snowflake: Princess of Bohemia, sister of Vovan III either she will ascend to power, or marry the person who does(meh not really good logic, but I'll carry on my anti-snowflake crusade for as long as possible).

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                It was Snowflake: Princess of Bohemia, sister of Vovan III
                XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

Oh my dearest brother. Haven't I advised you not to take that glorious but heavy crown? How dreadful it is when one could almost see something happening but couldn't prevent it?

What has brought my dear brother outside in such an odd hours of the night? The murderer couldn't have been waiting there every night. He must have known in advance that vovan would go outside at that time. Who would have such advantages?
                  Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Darn it, too late. Sheep got me out of the habit of checking the OG forum.

Anyway, King SnowFire of Poland laughs at the feeble Bohemian effort to conquer our lovely country (in which I have practically no power and am elected, weirdly enough. I think. Eventually the king will become elected, certainly, not that it matters since the king, as mentioned before, had no power). If my hired assassins somehow do not finish off the invaders, I offer a nice bounty on any former Bohemians who bring me some heads of the invaders & swear their loyalty to us.
                    All syllogisms have three parts.
                    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

It can be no other then Adagio as anyone reading the clues must know.

/me
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

It was taht Snowfake.

First she killed poor HongHu, now it's vovan. We have to stop her before it's too late!
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Your desire to vote for me, Hercules, makes you very suspicious indeed.

Mind you, you are better than L-L with the clues, so it's probably worth keeping you around.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

Mind you, you are better than L-L with the clues, so it's probably worth keeping you around.

Is he really that much better, my dear duke?

Comment

I think that Snowflake is after the throne.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X