Favourite Forum Game (FG)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Forum Game (FG)?

Just posting a poll of forum games as it seems there is declining interest in some and a number are either winding down (Nascar, Galactic Overlord, Society) or in the recruitment stage right now (Nuclear War, Gladiator, The Disease) so it might be beneficial for a newbie to read what the forum games are all about.

I probably have missed some of the previous games as I am somewhat of a newbie to forum games myself, but I attempted to include all of the most recent ones (including Forumula One and Assassins, though I haven't seen either of these actually played).

For a newbie looking for the rules of most of these games they are in a topped thread in this forum, started by Jamski which is linked here.

Please vote and post your reasoning and help recruit lurkers and newbies to the game you have voted for.
    Assassins
    0.00%
    The Disease
    4.76%
    Formula One
    0.00%
    Galactic Overlord
    9.52%
    Gladiator
    7.14%
    Hangman
    4.76%
    Mafia
    23.81%
    Name the Game
    9.52%
    Nascar
    2.38%
    Nuclear War
    9.52%
    Society
    7.14%
    Forum Games (FG) are the LotM of the Forums (Banana Option)
    21.43%
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Right now I'm enjoying Galactic Overlord the most, but this really should have been a multiple choice poll.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

My favorite FG is banana racing but now it's about to change. I'll subscribe to the next mafia game.
      money sqrt evil;
      My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Several are my favourites, they just fulfill different roles. Mafia is a good old game of hearty fun, which I enjoy both playing and GMing. It does not require too much actual thinking or strategy until the very endgame (if you happen to be alive by then).

Galactic Overlord, on the other hand, is enjoyable and at the same time very intense. With the alliances it gets a whole new dimension of negotiation and diplomacy, and the carefully crafted, tested and proven combat system really forces you to ponder your moves.

In essence, Mafia is my "brains off" game, GO is my "brains on" game. Gladiator is a bit like GO with its combat system, but it lacks the co-operation angle, and I haven't quite gotten on with the program with it (granted, I've only played it once). The Disease, with its freeform NES-like approach, I do not really prefer.

Name the Game is an abomination, because I'm too young and didn't get a computer until six years ago, so there's really no chance for me to get any of those oldies right. The rest I should give a try some day.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

"Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

@ Apoc

Comment

Gladiators has the best blend of luck and skill. I also like GO, which is slowly being moulded into a great forum game.

NW and Mafia are fun enough, but not in the same league as those above.

Comment

Mafia I like.

Haven't tried the others.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I voted for Galactic Overlord, but I have soft spots for all my "babies". Gladiator is a great game too, with a nice skill/luck ratio, but I don't quite have the double-bluffing skills for mastery of it. Nuke War is always good for a nice fast and simple to GM game, and Mafia I have to admit was so much fun to GM that I haven't really been able to get back into it as a player. I promise to run another game when I get back on a decent machine.

GO though has the potential to beat them all. I'm tempted to make some scripts to process battle automatically and then it will be perfect, but I don't ever get round to these things (who does?)

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

That would rule. Do it after DoA though.

Comment

I voted for go, even though I like them all.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Mafia.

If I wanted to think I'd do math equations.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I voted for Mafia, simply because I've been playing the longest, and have probably derived the most fun from it. DMing the game was fun too, although it seems that some of the players didn't enjoy it as much as I did, essentially on account of the difficulty of the clues.

I'm sure I'd like Nascar more if I hadn't been Rammed (), GO was fun, and I think that Society has potential to be one of the best, once the rules are all agreed on.
                          Hangman appeals to me particularly, and it's a lot harder than playing on your own because different players' styles do not necessarily gel. Name the Game is the game I've been playing the longest, and I agree that it's hard if the game is not necessarily within your timeframe (I've only owned an Amiga, a Playstation and a PC - well, I had a Binatone too, but games from that are never on NtG ). There is a lot of fun to be had from the forum games, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a respite from the left vs right political threads of OT.

Comment

Hangman.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Hangman
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X