• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000 AD

1000 AD
    Turn #7

Stock Market slowdown, recession expected
    Trading has been down recently with only 3 societies sending shipments to their neighbours. The Dudes sent their entire supply of Snowfire Gems to the Most Evil Empire. The Paragon of Empire split their collection of Vovan Oil between the Dudes, and the Most Evil Empire. Meanwhile the newly elected leader of Ljubium sent all their Jamski Hides to the Paragon of Empire.

Code:
    From	                Cost	Revenue	To            Revenue
    Spaced (9 caravans)	144	567	Whoha     	567

Jonny (3 Caravans)      51	216	Spaced     	216
    Jonny (3 Caravans)      54	240	Smiley	     240
    Jonny (2 Caravans)  	112	30	Whoha	     112

Ljube (6 Caravans)       84	576	Jonny	     288
    King Who? and see if your still Smiling after this!!
    With many of the people of the Most Evil Empire being unaware of Whoha their despot was, they decided that a Monarch would be more appropriate to lead the Empire of Evil and when all was said and done, none other then King Whoha sat upon the throne of the Most Evil Empire.

Similarly in a land of a council was formed to lead the people and their first decision was to wipe the Smile off of their despots face by desposing him and placing of their own choosing as the new leader of their Republic of . Both the Council and the people were quick annoyed to discover that the new leader also had a habit of too much.

Land, Land everywhere, and not a spot to think!
    Every Society decided that with land at a premium that their first priority had to be the construction of new cities. When all was said and done, not a city site remained for future devolopment (and many of the Societies with plans for cities were left wondering what happened to the vast empty fields that were there when they started their plans).

Many developers were rumoured to discuss plans for colonization of a new planet while some of their counterparts were said to be looking into the cost of recovering land that has been exposed to nuclear activity. Scientists explained to all of them that while their options were both possible that neither was likely to be possible in the near future.

Not so fast, this Science race is still a race
    With the high demand for labourers and construction material for the new cities that were constructed, little funding was left in the Societies for Scientific Research but seizing the opportunity to get ahead of the Land of (whom many found to be revolting) the Land of Ljubium advanced their society with knowledge of Nuclear Fission. With their Republic pleased with this discover and in a spirit of goodwill towards their most distant neighbours to also share in this, they gifted this knowledge to the Paragon of Empire.

Silk Road full of Potholes
    The Empire of Ljubium constructed the most economical of the available wonders, the Silk Road, only to discover that the road had been replaced by newer more efficient forms of trasportation for trade goods. When told of the White Elephant purchase, the new Ljubium leader was heard to say "It may not help our trade, but our fledgling republic could use the culture enhancement that the Silk Road will bring". Amid the public outcry and voilence that followed this gross misappropriation of public funds, the Consul intended to announce the construction of National Rifle Association, but decided that a University might be a safer form of wonderous demonstration in Ljubium (only to discover that the demonstrators promptly used this University as their site of demonstrations).

The Paragon of Empire had no such fears of Guns however and were pleased to add the National Rifle Association to their Wonders of their World (though disappointed that they could not unveil the National University Rifle Association that they had intended).

Free Military Training to the Homeless
    With no room for more cities and population growth out of control, the Societies of the Dudes, the Paragon of Empire and Ljubium all put their homeless into training programs and as a result greatly expanded their Military forces.

Code:
    Society Cities Tech Army Nukes/SDI SS Parts Gold
    Spaced Cowboy - Despotism 20 9 47 0/0 0 760
    :) Smiley - Republic 20 10 33 0/0 0 1337
    Jonny - Despotism 14 11 45 0/0 0 909
    Whoha - Monarchy 13 7 23 0/0 0 1146
    Ljube - Republic 14 11 49 0/0 0 1689
    Wonders of the World
    The Smiles High Tower (E2)
    The Cubic Colosseum (B7)
    The Trojan Horse of (E3)
    The Cubium Acropolis (C7)
    The Silk Path of Ljubium (B9)
    The of Jihad (E4)
    The Mafia of Paragon of Empire (H2)
    The Trans-siberian Railroad of
    The NRA of the Paragon of Empire (H3)
    The University of California is Ljubium (A9)

Future Techs
    Cost of Tech 8 (Industrialization) is now 17 Gold
    Cost of Tech 9 (Representative Government) is now 28 Gold
    Cost of Tech 10 (Mass Education) is now 88 Gold
    Cost of Tech 11 (Nuclear Fission) is now 214 Gold
    Attached Files
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Ljube-ljcvetko
      Right. Now a few questions.

Smiley has the Trojan horse. Suppose I declare war. He can sabotage my war plans each turn cause he has two spies per turn and I have only one (By the way can I counter his espionage with my spy or not?)

Suppose I don't declare war because of this. Smiley continues building the wonders and achieves a cultural victory.

Suppose someone else gets this and joins forces with me against Smiley. No sweat, Smiley has stockpiled spies to counter any threat.

Trojan horse is way too powerful I think. The same was true before in Society I and II when I played.
      Trojan Horse has not changed since last game and if two societies send spies at each other regardless of their purpose, they cancel each other out. If a spy does get through to another society and targets espionage then the targeted society will not have successful espionage (but as you correctly illustrate with the Horse and a potential surplus of spies, it would be difficult to get this spy through unless the target were sending their spies to someone else). The confusing part is when more then 2 societies are sending spies (as will soon be happening). The spies sent at each other will still cancel each other out, and the ones who do not cross paths will be successful.

I agree that spies are a key component, and one of the ways we tried to limit this is allowing "defensive spies" this game. With a spy set to defend, it can defend any area of production against other spies. Regardless of whether or not a spy is sent against that spy, it is used up that turn.

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier
      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

A question came up this game that I have not yet dealt with, but thought I would clarify...

You can use your trade revenue as part of your budget, but you cannot use your expected trade revenue from other societies (it will be stockpiled for your use next turn). I believe this is how it has been done in previous games, and how I would like to continue (while I don't mind the math of this game and have created a detailed spreadsheet to assist with it, I don't want to make it any more complicated then necessary).

Comment

sent.

Comment

A defensive spy blocks all spies against a certain phase, so you could make sure your war plans go through. Likewise, you can stockpile a second spy and defend both war production and invasion plans. Plus, there's also the KGB.

Perhaps next game we could tone it back down and give it an expiration tech.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Re: 1000 AD

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Code:
              Society Cities Tech Army Nukes/SDI SS Parts Gold
              :) Smiley - Republic 20 10 33 0/0 0 [b]1337[/b]
              w007! 1 @M 7H3 LEET!

sent.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                A defensive spy blocks all spies against a certain phase, so you could make sure your war plans go through.
                How many spies do you have Smiley?
                I have none.

Am I guaranteed one according to the rules or not?
                If yes, I still stand some chance.
                If no, I concede to you.

Comment

Everyone at tech 7 (espionage) or beyond at the start of their turn gets a spy every turn (and the holder of the Horse gets 2). The only way you don't get a spy is if you revolt on that turn.

Comment

Can he sabotage my spy production phase?

Comment

No, because all the phases take place at the same time. It's not like Civ in which everyone takes turns. Spies come first, and then you can use them to sabotage phases after that. I suppose you could sabotage the spy production, but you'd need a stockpiled spy, and to have sent the orders the turn before.

Comment

sent.
                        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Before I can send the orders, I need to know an authoritative answer (from the GM or the author) to my question: Do I get a spy or not?

If yes, I can still try something, if no, I surrender to Smiley.

Comment

"Espionage
                            Once you discover Espionage (Tech Level 7) you gain one Spy every turn at the beginning of your Espionage turn. Spies are free and can be stockpiled."

You are above tech level 7, so you get a spy, thats from the first post by sparrowhawk in this thread..

Comment

Again my question was not answered, but I sent my orders anyway.

It's only a game.

Comment

Orders sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X