No announcement yet.

FG: Society IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can do it from 2 spaces even, trade distance = tech level.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Sent.

Comment

Sent
        I changed my signature

Comment

Orders Sent.

Comment

Just waiting on Spaced now (and no hurry he has lots of time )

Edit: it is now 11:30 pm my time, and while I wanted to wait for Spaced and process the turn, I wouldn't want to stay up to process it now anyway, sorry guys, this will have to wait for tomorrow
            Last edited by Sparrowhawk; September 3, 2004, 00:36.
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

sent!
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

1000 bc

1000 bc
                Turn #4

Trade...and more trade!
                Code:
                From	                Cost	Revenue	To	          Revenue
                Smiley (1 caravan)	7	12	Spaced	           12
                Smiley (1 caravan)	7	12	Jonny	           12
                Smiley (2 caravans)	14	24	Gamecube	   24

Gamecube (1 Caravan)	6	9	Spaced	           9

Jonny (3 Caravans)	21	36	Smiley	           36

Spaced (3 Caravans)	21	36	Smiley	           36

Cities
                More cities add in The Land of (3) & Most Evil Empire(tm) (2), but The Land of the Dudes lead the way with (3) more cities added.

Science
                Smiley continues to hold the lead in technology, this turn discovering "Geography" and using his advanced knowledge to gift "Architecture" to the Most Evil Empire of Whoha. The rest of the Societies all research or remain at architecture.

Wonders
                Both The Paragon of Empire and the Land of Cubium sought to create the Acropolis but Cubium managed to get their project completed before Paragon could muster the necessary materials and labour. Thankfully for the despot of Paragon, all materials purchased were able to be sold without a loss of any gold and all the money was returned to the treasury.

Military
                Peace reigns supreme in the land of Society, but new armies were conscripted in and the Paragon of Empire .

Code:
                Society Cities Tech Army Nukes/SDI SS Parts Gold
                Spaced Cowboy - Despotism 7 4 0 0/0 0 153
                :) Smiley - Despotism 6 5 6 0/0 0 248
                Jonny - Despotism 3 4 9 0/0 0 98
                Whoha - Despotism 5 4 7 0/0 0 101
                Gamecube64 - Despotism 3 4 0 0/0 0 84
                Wonders of the World
                The Smiles High Tower (E2)
                The Cubic Colosseum (B7)
                The Trojan Horse of (E3)
                The Cubium Acropolis (C7)

Cost of Tech 5 (Geography) is now 16 Gold
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sparrowhawk; September 4, 2004, 23:29.
                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Comment

Not sure why I am having no luck with either bmp or gif files, maybe it is the fact that I am using Paint.

I seem to remember Smiley or someone mentioning another free program at some point in the last game, maybe I will go back and check that out.

But for now, I am just going to attach another jpg file, they seem to work just fine (and if this one doesn't display.... )
                    Attached Files

Comment

The program is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and can be DL'd from gimp.org

sent.

---------------
                      Travelers report of some sort of ancient civilization in the south part of the world, near the vicinity of longitude E and latitude 8. Further investigations, however, revealed that the village was deserted and the huts empty.

A team of archaeologists discovered that the society had prospered until the ascent of a ruler with the fatal flaw of having a difficult to spell name. On one tablet alone, over six different spellings were found. Asking some nomads in the area, one replied with the following story.

...Emperor Sizpim was annoyed and felt disrespected by his subjects addressing him improperly. Let them say what they want, but don't let them write down all the false names, he decreed, fearful of confusion in the afterlife. It was difficult for business in the imperial court to proceed however without using his name. Eventually, he was fed up and outlawed the alphabet. It did him no good, though, as now he was left with little record for posterity.
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Great post! "Sizpim" I like it

---------------------------------------------------------

On topic, I see two problems coming up for me in this game:

Trade: I know that you can trade up to your tech level away, but can you trade across another Society? (In other words, Spaced right now is within trade distance of Jonny as there are only 3 squares between them and they are both at tech 4, but Smiley is between them). Can someone trade to any society that their tech level allows them to reach or can they not pass through another society to trade? (I can see pros and cons to allowing this or disallowing it, for simplicity sake I would like to go with allowing anyone in range as fair game and assume there is free passage for Caravans/Freight passing through another Societies territory).

Revolution: Very soon we are going to start getting into revolutions in the Societies I suspect. It was agreed at the start of this game that the penalties are too large for a revolution and that the societies are allowed one area of production in a revolution. My question is two fold...If a society in a revolution spends all its Gold on say Armies, and is left with no gold, does it then still not get any Tax Income this turn and thus can essentially do nothing in the next turn? (due to no gold from taxation??)...or have we allowed Tax Income during the revolution year as well.....or is Taxation one of the options that you can have happen during the Revolution (as your one area which is allowed while cities, technology, military etc would not be if Tax was the option chosen)?

Comment

My interpretations/thoughts:

Trade: Crossing over other's land is OK unless you are at war. (with Silk Road, you can still trade with anyone anywhere)

Revolution: Being able to tax and produce one area makes the penalty too small. Players can choose 1 phase to do, including tax, and Production is lumped together. Though it would still work split into the subphases.

Comment

So in my example above, if Spaced was at war with you, would he still be able to trade with Jonny (it would involve crossing your territory)?

And without allowing tax and one area of production, have we changed anything in revolutions or do we just move the penalty from the revolution turn to the following turn? (because if you use the gold you have during your revolution year and don't generate any more income, there will be little you can do in the following year unless the other societies trade with you during the revolution)

Edit: Smiley, do you think it would be worthwhile adding the ruleset to the topped thread in this forum with the rules to all the Forum Games? It might help generate interest for Society V. I would post it, but I would prefer that you do so, both as the originator of the game and the person responsible for keeping the evolving rules up to date.

Comment

In first example, no.

Another proposal was to allow tax and one phase, but halve tax income.

to adding ruleset. Let's work out these things first, I got a feeling that a couple more gray areas might pop up yet.

Comment

Sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X