Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

uh....so how do forum games work (or not work)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uh....so how do forum games work (or not work)

I had never played a forum game before and poly is the first forum I've found people play forum games. (and only after years of lurking at OT and such)

I've thought about forum games though, and I posted this on another forum which sadly was ignored. I'm just wondering if my speculations where anywhere near correct, or am I moronic as usual.

Motivation: Internet forums being a effective (?) communication and storage medium has spawned people role playing online, however I know of no good game system that exists for the forum environment. I was discouraging to see an Gundam RPG ran with only rules such as "you can not dodge too much or avoid taking effective damage for too long" and leave discretion at the players and requring alot of outside intervension to make the game fair. A resolution system, no matter how flawed, is at least fixable and objective. Disputes would be about the system rather than a billion disputes between players. While I have seen systems that are run on forums, most are either boring or ineffective.

Strength and Weaknesses: Any gaming system that is to be build up on a forum must acknowledge the strength and weakness of the said medium, which is listed below.
    Weaknesses:
    1. Slow response time, as different time zones and such can result in posts needing something on the order of a day to respond.
    2. Lack of build in random number generator.
    3. No face to face contact might limit some forms of communication.
    4. Lack of build in processing capacity, requiring player calculation.
    5. No way of doing a double blind without outside intervension.
    Strength:
    1. Potential for a large player pool. If properly organized, a forum game can be magnitudes larger than a table top or pen and paper game.
    2. Large data storage capacity, magnitudes more then card games and still larger than board games as text can be easily manipulated to store petty much everything. The limitation lies only the player's attention and processing capacity.
    3. Potentially long times can be devoted to the game, as forum junkies can spend hours a day over years on forums.

Objectives:
    Create a game system, in the order of importance
    1. Result in interesting game play
    2. Is paced so that each command is long, but the number of commands require to resolve a event is low
    3. Allows mutiple people to participate in a event effectively
    4. PC to PC interactions should require low/no third party intervention
    5. The game must be fair and not allow cheating
    6. The system must be simple to learn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now the problem is two fold, one is the lack of random number generation and the second lies in difficulty in creating a turn system that can allow some kind of reasonable pace.

With random number generation, if a suitable pseudo-random seed number can be found on the basic forum software than a third party application (on websites) can be used to generate the random numbers. Even if such a system is potentially cheatable by hacking the third party algorithm, it would be too difficult for casual gamers. The problem is that there is no suitable seed number, as the traditional seed number, time, is only accurate up to the minute for forums, where the player can certainly cheat by timing it with the clock and entering the potential times ahead.

Now of course it is possible to make a game without probability and still be interesting, however they require someway of building up complexity so that the optimal solution is not obvious, and that is difficult in a rpg setting where player only play one or two pieces.

The second problem lies in the turn structure and how games tend to grow far too long for something to happen. For example if we look at the traditional turn structure.
    Player 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-......etc
    Now this structure is reasonablely fair if the first turn is not overtly powerful. However this system is also slow, since everyone have to wait for the next person to post.

Ideally, a turn structure that is as restrictive should be faster, for example
    4 players in any order - resolution - 4 player in any order - resolution -....etc
    However the player that orders later than other players have a advantage in this case.
    Alternatively, the turn structure can be made into this:
    1 player that hadn't moved - resolution - 1 player that hadn't moved- resolution -player - resolution - player -resolution - next turn
    However there are potentials for expliotation here, for example countious attack from the end of one turn to the start of the next, and deny the opposition time to respond.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So anyone have any good ideas? I'm sure my lack of experience with pen and paper system probably have limited my imagination on what can be done.

*waits for the new round for nuclear war FG in the mean time*

(damn it I have being a newbie.....)

Heh, as the self-appointed Forum Game "Grandpa" I suppose I have something to say on the subject

The basic thing is:
    • The rules have to be simple enough that everyone can understand them, and complicated enough that there is some tactical depth to the play. I think Nuclear War is very close to this ideal, with Gladiator slightly to the simpler side, and Galactic Overlord slightly to the complex side.
    • You have to try to get into a cycle to keep the game moving. Experimentation has show that a strict 24 hour limit per turn seems to work, with extensions at weekends. Any longer, and some players lose interest.
    • There must be an absolute minimum of randomness in the game. We can't roll any dice or check percentages on forums. We need systems where "if X then Y"

All the forum games that have managed to establish themselves as reccuring favorites have adhered to these basic concepts.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

And I reserve the right to review each game and decide if it's appropriate. I haven't tossed many games.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

RAH! We were worried you'd fallen down a hole!

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Hoooray, for our God has returned to us!

Forum games also need to either have a short, repetitive cycle or some mechanism whereby players can join or leave at anytime. The former is by far the easier option and is seen in all the forum games we run.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hmm... an open, ongoing forum game sounds intriguing.

I'm not sure the theme, but it could run on a point system, with rounds updated every 24 hours and players free to come and go each round (kind of like hangman).

Any ideas on what kind of game would work well as a MMFG?
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
              Heh, as the self-appointed Forum Game "Grandpa" I suppose I have something to say on the subject

The basic thing is:
              • The rules have to be simple enough that everyone can understand them, and complicated enough that there is some tactical depth to the play. I think Nuclear War is very close to this ideal, with Gladiator slightly to the simpler side, and Galactic Overlord slightly to the complex side.
              • You have to try to get into a cycle to keep the game moving. Experimentation has show that a strict 24 hour limit per turn seems to work, with extensions at weekends. Any longer, and some players lose interest.
              • There must be an absolute minimum of randomness in the game. We can't roll any dice or check percentages on forums. We need systems where "if X then Y"

All the forum games that have managed to establish themselves as reccuring favorites have adhered to these basic concepts.

-Jam
              I think the mafia doesn't quite stick to these - or rather, they're not the reason for its success. It's a very social game.

Comment

Mafia usually isn't very social. It's mostly just docpiling and strategic voting.

It'd be ten times more fun if everyone roleplayed.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yeah, I haven't seen ANYTHING but random docpiling in my game

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    Random?????

I was very specific with the reason for the first 2 docpiles.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yes, but no one really seems to be looking for the clues.

In fact, no one seems to be talking about my big clues.

Comment

People who look for clues get targeted by the mafia, since dead people tend to lose interest in the game. And docpiling allows other people to live longer, while they figure out clues for themselves. It's like offering a sacrifice.
                        But the back and forth banter makes it a social game.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                          You have to try to get into a cycle to keep the game moving. Experimentation has show that a strict 24 hour limit per turn seems to work, with extensions at weekends. Any longer, and some players lose interest.
                          Hmmm, better crack down in Gladiator then.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Gladiator is way too slow as it is for my taste, yes. What can possibly make its orders more difficult to come up with than those of Galactic Overlord?

Originally posted by Theben
                            People who look for clues get targeted by the mafia, since dead people tend to lose interest in the game.
                            Not if they've been killed by the Mafia. Fear, for I shall have my revenge!
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Random dogpiling?

Perhaps there is a pattern you cannot see.

If you want roleplaying, give people roles other than 'Park guide' and eliminate the generics. It's hard to roleplay without a role.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X