No announcement yet.

Banned from Paradox forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adi321 you messed up, is what you did....
    That's also a pretty accurate description. Though I certainly did not hack anything.
    Btw, what's your nick on the Paradox forum? I don't remember ever seeing adi321.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
      That would make things a bit different, ofcourse, but I was under the impression people where just given access to the beta forum through a goof up in the servers. What would he need a password for?
      Good question!

Comment

That would make things a bit different, ofcourse, but I was under the impression people where just given access to the beta forum through a goof up in the servers. What would he need a password for?
        to download the installer for example...
        "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
        V. I. Lenin
        "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
        Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Generalisimo
          to download the installer for example...
          You mean a beta version Patric talked about earlier in this thread? I have not seen that, and I have certainly not tried to download it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

You mean a beta version Patric talked about earlier in this thread? I have not seen that, and I have certainly not tried to download it.
            i do not know if you did that or not, but some people did that and are banned too.
            V. I. Lenin
            Benito Mussolini

Comment

Maniac never tried to download the installer afaik. He DID download the design document and posted about doing it.

Patric

Comment

Was it clearly posted that he wasn't supposed to download the file in question or be visiting the forum in question? I mean on these internet forums it's pretty standard that if you have access to a forum and someone posts something for download then you can download it. If someone doesn't want a file to be downloaded then it is his responsability to say so or to not post it. Isn't it?

You guys screwed up and gave the public access to files so the public went ahead and accessed them. Now, you want to claim they "stole" from you? Sorry, but the one who screwed up was Paradox and not the users who just did exactly what every user always does.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  Was it clearly posted that he wasn't supposed to download the file in question or be visiting the forum in question? I mean on these internet forums it's pretty standard that if you have access to a forum and someone posts something for download then you can download it. If someone doesn't want a file to be downloaded then it is his responsability to say so or to not post it. Isn't it?

You guys screwed up and gave the public access to files so the public went ahead and accessed them. Now, you want to claim they "stole" from you? Sorry, but the one who screwed up was Paradox and not the users who just did exactly what every user always does.
                  it IS clear that only people with NDA can access those files.
                  V. I. Lenin
                  Benito Mussolini

Comment

Hey, I almost never go to the Paradox forums so that's why I asked the question. Though I still think that in a public forum the owner is the one who is responsible for protecting files. If he screws that up then he is the one to blame.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You don't want to get me started on "intellectual property" laws, downloading files will never be comparible to theft in my opinion. But even so, this isn't as extreme as robbing someone's house, or a bank, it's just some beta stuff for a computer game.
                      By robbing a bank or someones house you'd be looking at jail time. Punishment comparable to transgression...
                      --
                      Editing EU2? Get the Exhaustive Bible of Event Scripting, Scenario Editing Guide and more...
                      Hacking HoI? Visit Havards HoI Hacking Haven!

Comment

If you can't manage security for your own site and want to blame fans of your products for their own interest, tough.

Geez, banning people for doing this is the quickest way to get the stuff on Kazaa. On the internet, if you lose security over your information, you lose all the power.

I thought these games were supposed to develop diplomacy skills.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          If you can't manage security for your own site and want to blame fans of your products for their own interest, tough.

Geez, banning people for doing this is the quickest way to get the stuff on Kazaa. On the internet, if you lose security over your information, you lose all the power.

I thought these games were supposed to develop diplomacy skills.
                          Do you really think that any action by the publisher will stop the eventual availability on Kazaa? No offense but you must be pretty naive in that case.

There is nothing we can do to stop that apart from making the game online only with random parts exchanged from a central server every time you play the game. That is totally out of the question.

Patric

Comment

I think banning Maniac is completely pointless. First, if something is available for download, it is understood that you have the right to download it. It's not as if he was pirating anything; he saw that he could download it from a legitimate source and did so, even if he may have had some idea that it was only downloadable because of a bug. Second, he has apologized and clearly intends no harm. Might it be possible to only ban him from the victoria forum but let him have access to the other forums?

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
                              I think banning Maniac is completely pointless. First, if something is available for download, it is understood that you have the right to download it. It's not as if he was pirating anything; he saw that he could download it from a legitimate source and did so, even if he may have had some idea that it was only downloadable because of a bug. Second, he has apologized and clearly intends no harm. Might it be possible to only ban him from the victoria forum but let him have access to the other forums?
                              1. He obivously knew that what he was doing was wrong (deducted from his post right before being banned).
                              2. If he wants to discuss this he should do it with me or someone else at Paradox (he has not tried to contact me).

Patric

Comment

Hi Patric,

(he has not tried to contact me)
                                I just wanted to notify you I've just sent a PM to you on Apolyton.

Comment

Working...
                                X