Banned from Paradox forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Generalisimo
    Well, he downloaded stuff that wasn't allowed to download... so he is "stealing"...
    The point is that they did allow him to download it. It's not like he hacked into their servers and took it from behind a security system or something.

They gave him access to it.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

The point is that they did allow him to download it. It's not like he hacked into their servers and took it from behind a security system or something. They gave him access to it.
      but he knew he wasn't allowed to download, but he did it anyway... just like Johan or havard said, if it isn't "locked" it doesn't allow you to do what you want...
      "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
      V. I. Lenin
      "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
      Benito Mussolini

Comment

The point is that they did allow him to download it. It's not like he hacked into their servers and took it from behind a security system or something.

So he didn't do anything wrong in your opinion?

weird sense of honesty you have...

Comment

Originally posted by Havard

So if people e.g. accidentally find the vault to a bank open they are free to help themself to some spare cash?
          If a bank leaves their vault open and their doors unlocked, they shouldn't expect the money to be there in the morning. That's all I'm saying.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

See my reply above, and Johans quote above.
            --
            Editing EU2? Get the Exhaustive Bible of Event Scripting, Scenario Editing Guide and more...
            Hacking HoI? Visit Havards HoI Hacking Haven!

Comment

If a bank leaves their vault open and their doors unlocked, they shouldn't expect the money to be there in the morning. That's all I'm saying.
              Of course not!

But you probably agree that there should be some consequence for the one taking the money, right?

Comment

He didn't do anythign wrong in my opinion, no. But that's not the point I am making - I'm simply saying that they are punishing people for their own mistake, and if that's what they want to do, fine. Their choice. But as I said, they're just alienating fans for their own goof up.

I've never seen such fast replies in this forum before.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

but the people who take money from the open vault are not stealing?....
                  "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
                  V. I. Lenin
                  "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
                  Benito Mussolini

Comment

This isn't the same as robbing a bank, guys.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Noone "allowed" anyone to download either beta versions or design documents. Something glitched in the forum software. We have now realized there are three kinds of people on our forums.

1. Those who just carry on, business as usual.
                      2. Those who let us know about the problem.
                      3. Those who take advantage of the situation.

Those in category 2 have a large chance of getting something back for being honest about it.

Originally said by Johan:

so, if you forget to lock the door to your house one evening, everyone would be allowed to walk in and grab what they wanted?

Btw, you reason as if the quote from Johan is the way it should be then?

Comment

He wasnt given access. He *knew* it was a mistake and he took advantage. He also tried several times using different passwords before he got it - i.e. he *hacked* the password. We have logs showing this.

Dont matter which way you cut it - he is banned.

Last word from me ....
                        EU questions? try here:-

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/

Comment

I probably violated intellectual rights or something.
                          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by uglyduck
                            He also tried several times using different passwords before he got it - i.e. he *hacked* the password. We have logs showing this.
                            What!?! I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                              I probably violated intellectual rights or something.
                              you messed up, is what you did....

Comment

Originally posted by Patric B

Noone "allowed" anyone to download either beta versions or design documents. Something glitched in the forum software. We have now realized there are three kinds of people on our forums.

1. Those who just carry on, business as usual.
                                2. Those who let us know about the problem.
                                3. Those who take advantage of the situation.

Those in category 2 have a large chance of getting something back for being honest about it.

Btw, you reason as if the quote from Johan is the way it should be then?
                                You don't want to get me started on "intellectual property" laws, downloading files will never be comparible to theft in my opinion. But even so, this isn't as extreme as robbing someone's house, or a bank, it's just some beta stuff for a computer game.

Eitherway, it doesn't matter one way or the other to me if you ban people, I was just pointing out that the mistake was on your end, and punishing people for taking advantage of it isn't neccisarily the best course of action. But as I said, that's your choice.

He also tried several times using different passwords before he got it - i.e. he *hacked* the password. We have logs showing this.
                                That would make things a bit different, ofcourse, but I was under the impression people where just given access to the beta forum through a goof up in the servers. What would he need a password for?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X