Time for CTP 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for CTP 3?

Hi all. I've been around for awhile, mostly as a lurker. I've always liked CTP better than than Civialization series. I think mostly because it seemed to give you more freedom and go beyond the near future.

I know an effort like this would be difficult to do, just trying to get the different partitipants to agree on a design may be challenging enough. And, yes, I know Activision is never going to allow an effort like this to be called CTP 3.

I've read from time to time the different efforts to improve the game. In looking at all of the efforts that people are either taking on or wish to, it seems the game needs to be completely gutted and redone from scratch. However, I don't know if that would be enough, as I'm wondering if the game engine can handle a greatly expanded game, Hexagonian pointed out that there is a 64 limit cap in the number of buildings. Is that a limitation of the game enine?

With Windows 7 and more and more people getting 64bit OS's, is it time to get a CTP clone on a 64 bit engine or a newer 32 bit engine that can take advantage of the expanded memory and other resources. I think it's fair to say that most of us are not looking for a graphic based game like CIV-IV, that we would be happy with the graphics that CTP has.

Am I way off the mark here and should go back to lurking or is it time to take a fresh look at the game?

Without people to do the work, it will probably never get done. Plus, for all the time that would be needed to create the next gen of CTP2, the payoff would be very small. This place isn't exactly jumping with activity....

IMO, civ4 incorporates the best features of all the civ-style games - in fact, I'd go so far to say that civ4 is the most polished TBS game available for general consumption. If you want to reach the broadest audience, you should mod civ4 to something you like.

This is not to downplay the CTP2 Modding projects either...both Cradle and the AE Source Code are excellent pieces of work, and for me personally, Cradle is still the most enjoyable game, even over civ4.

The only reason why I am still playing CTP2 is because I really enjoy the modding process, and playing what I create. I'm too old and lazy to figure out how to Mod civ4.

It's my personal sandbox.

Even though I am playing CTP2, I do plan on getting back into civ4 in the future. My computer is too old to handle any new games. (I actually fear what will happen when I do have to get a new computer and cannot get CTP2 to work anymore)
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hex, I agree, it is probably impossible.

I do plan on purchasing CIV 4 at some point. Now that it looks like all of the expansion packs are out. One thing I didn't like, was that I like to play really big maps. CIV 4 seems to offer the smallest maps in the series. Is this true?

I just built a new PC this summer, and installed Windows7. CTP works on it, so you should have many years of fun to come.

Comment

Oh yeah, it's time for a CtP3. This time no short cuts, and do it properly and not rushed. Hell hire all the modders in here. Sorry I forget your names, but the people who made the apolyton patch, and craddle mods, and LotR mods etc, hire them to get the game out.

It will be a long while before we see Civ V, so this could be a potenial hit, if done properly, not rushed, and have more than one or 2 patches if needed. But if not rushed then no patches needed.

So yeah I say it's time for a new CtP.

Comment

Does anybody know if this game works on Vista ?

Comment

I meant CTP 2, of course, not CTP3.

Comment

Yes CtP2 works find on Vista, I had no problems except for not seeing the opening video. Runs fine without trouble, well at least for me.

Comment

Thanks for the info

I'll buy one then

Comment

That's surprising. I would have thought it would have the same problems as Civ III.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                  X