Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My CIV4 Challenge to Everybody: Beat Ages of Man First!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MG; in Civ2 the city will continue to build what it built before, and if it's there already will tell you so every turn until you change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
      So how does it work in Civ3? In Civ2 it works like this: The computer checks all your cities, if there is an item is complete you get a popup message about it, if you haven't disabled it. It asks whether you want to continue or you want to open the city window. If you open the city window you see that there is no build order, so you have to give it. Of course you can also use the advisors, but for some reason they never build what they are supposed to build.

So in Civ2 the city doesn't build anything when an item is complete. In CTP1/2 the city builds nothing when the last item on the build queue has been built. That's an all items vs. some items issure. And I see cities without built orders is coomon to Civ1/2 and CTP1/2, and I wouldn't be suprised if it is common as well for Civ3 and Civ4, as this event must occur if you have to manage the build orders manually, because the advisors have no idea of what you want.

-Martin
      In Civ3 you get a popup Window, saying that a build was finished, and a proposal what to build next. This proposal is either the next position in your predefined build queue, or if you did not define one, the building/unit the AI would build next, if it were in charge of that city. If the city built a unit, the build proposal is always the same unit. This can be customized in a certain limit by flags and options, though. What I described here, is my preference.

If you like the proposal, just click Ok. If you don't like it, you can change it in a drop-down menu, without having to enter the city window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
        MG; in Civ2 the city will continue to build what it built before, and if it's there already will tell you so every turn until you change it.
        This holds only for units, and fortunately not for settlers. Or did you ever saw muliple instances of buildings and wonders in one city.

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
        In Civ3 you get a popup Window, saying that a build was finished, and a proposal what to build next. This proposal is either the next position in your predefined build queue, or if you did not define one, the building/unit the AI would build next, if it were in charge of that city. If the city built a unit, the build proposal is always the same unit. This can be customized in a certain limit by flags and options, though. What I described here, is my preference.

If you like the proposal, just click Ok. If you don't like it, you can change it in a drop-down menu, without having to enter the city window.
        In comparision to Civ2 this is an improvement. But one thing I wonder if I can disable the messages if there is a new build order from the queue available, but keep them if there is no build order from the queue available. That's one important thing for me, build orders from the queue are ok, because I know that they are right and if I have to change something then I would do it during the main turn anayway.
        However if I can't just disable the messages "item build next item from queue" then I would have to check all the cities manually or read all the messages and have to decide, whether it is useful or not, and that takes time. But if you have these two message classes and you can just dissable one of these class then an empty build queue is a rare event in Civ3 as well.

However maybe I should add an option that you can end only the turn if you have no city with an empty build queue, and if you click on the end turn button then the first city with an empty build order is selected.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

The thing about an empty build que isnt bad considering how Pw is handled in ctp2. I always assumed that if the que was empty than my city was using less Pw to build and it would get stored nationally. was I wrong?
          Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
            In comparision to Civ2 this is an improvement. But one thing I wonder if I can disable the messages if there is a new build order from the queue available, but keep them if there is no build order from the queue available. That's one important thing for me, build orders from the queue are ok, because I know that they are right and if I have to change something then I would do it during the main turn anayway.
            There are 2 options in the preferences, however with horrible misleading names:

- Ask for build orders after unit construction (IMO enables/disables the window)
            - Always build previously built unit (IMO repeats building the same again if the last was an unit)

Or something. I am not entirely sure what they do, I selected both and was for all time happy with it (I want the window).

However maybe I should add an option that you can end only the turn if you have no city with an empty build queue, and if you click on the end turn button then the first city with an empty build order is selected.

-Martin
            That would be a very nice improvement. I perceived empty build queues as annoyance in CTP games.

Comment

Okay, this thread never had anything to do with Civ4 and now it has nothing to do with AoM anymore either, so I'm moving this to the CtP2 forums. The only reason why I tolerated it in the first place was because it gave people awaiting Civ4 something to do to kill the time (I know, probably weak and biased, but I'm only human), but with Civ4 just days away I doubt anyone will pick up AoM now if they haven't already.
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

to the guys that made AoM. The AI is not as stupid as in vanilla CtP2, and I really like the new techs, buildings, tile improvements, wonders, goods, governments, and extending the game back to 5000BC. The way you gus implemented disasters, the Dark Ages, the Huns, the Mongols, and the Black death was also excelent.

One complaint though, The disaster videos are ANNOYING.

Comment

Working...
                X