Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My CIV4 Challenge to Everybody: Beat Ages of Man First!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CIV4 Challenge to Everybody: Beat Ages of Man First!

Dear Poly People:

Many of you might have been following the development of the Ages of Man game, which is a complete overhaul of CtP2. If you played CtP2 and hated it, forget what you knew then. AOM really is worth your time to try, and I think that the more people from Apolyton who play this game, the further ahead we will be on mod ideas for Civ 4.

So why not try to beat the game just once? I promise it will make you a better Civ 4 player if for no other reason than shaking up your assumptions a little bit.

For those who have followed AOM's development a bit, you should know that Stan has recently come up with a host of refinements that might warrant your giving things a try again if you haven't already. To see some of these improvements Stan is working on, you can read the draft readme of the upcoming build at:

For more information on the rest of the game, please see:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have been prodding and probbing AOM for some time now (not as much as I would like, however). While I think there are aspects of the game that could use tweaking, Stan has been remarkably open to feedback. Chances are quite good that if you make some decent recommendations that he will consider them carefully. Who knows, you might even have a version named after you.

So even if you don't think that AOM is going to be as fun as Civ 4, please do consider giving it a try if for no other reason than to get your gaming critic hat ready for Civ 4. And if you've played AOM many months ago and gave up for some reason, at least look at the readme to see if anything there looks worth your time.

Finally, if you have nothing other to say than CtP2 sucked, we know that already! Indeed, that's point of AOM.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

CTP sucks!

(edit: If I'm not mistaken that was my first post on Poly, oh, 6 years ago or so).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I've tried Age of man a few days. The reason I don't play Age of man anymore is mainly twosome:

1. My girlfriend complained she never saw me. I was locked up in a room with a possessed look on my face.

2. In the Dark Ages, last time I played, I finally got an excuse to heed my girlfriend's complaints: Of my 11 cities 9 rebelled and formed a new state, so in a single turn I had only two left and a new powerful enemy beside me.

So I decided to wait for CIV 4 as I like a lot of what I have seen and heard of civ 4... but reason No.1 weighed about 15 times more heavily than reason number two. And a reason NO.3 is I feel I have other more pressing things to do with my spare time... CIV 4 is going to destroy some more of that time.

But Stan has done a fantastic job.

P.S. Imran lives!

Comment

I think one of my first posts was about a class-action lawsuit against Activision! Ah, how we've mellowed.

Freddz: Drop the chick. We'll get you buzzing through the Dark Ages in no time. In fact, Stan toned down that event a little bit now. Seriously, what good are women (the hang around you all the time kind, I mean)?

Seriously, though: Those events are one of the things that get you to think a bit differently about how to mod a game. Honestly, it's worthy figuring them out and think forward to Civ 4.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Mellowed?! Well maybe, but trolling CTP fans is always fun. At the time neither SMAC nor CTP came out and YYYH (my bud at the old OWO forums) told me about these CTP forums we could troll (an 'invasion' if you will... if you know anything about Poly history you could see how this would come back at YYYH ). And we trolled away... Markos was not happy .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Freddz
            P.S. Imran lives!
            Well I ain't dead .

Comment

Well, the Dark Ages event was just an excuse. But it was good it happened, you know I have to work on my hobby projects, otherwise the artist gets distressed, and I will get very distressed too, that's a further 3 unhappy faces in my home, besides from the seven my girfriend contributes. Worse than the dark ages I would say. Wonder what could happen at home if disease strikes? Anyway, what I'm doing here... this is no different from playing age of man really.... rrrggh!
              (going back to work)
              I will definately give Age of man another try, and it is already planned in my mind to do so, but perhaps it will be after CIV 4. I haven't decided.
              Last edited by Freddz; October 2, 2005, 15:35.

Comment

Alright Freddz: I am now DEMANDING that you try again. Tell your girfriend that the rabbit mafia will chew her prized possessions otherwise.

Comment

I think you ought to dump her Freddz...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

what good is cIV when you dont have someone to love?
                    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I think the question you should be asking is 'What is the point of someone to love when you have cIV?'...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Didn't Ages of Man have nothing past the middle ages? Anyhow I could never get the dynasty to trigger properly, I'd have atleast an heir and still get game over.

So I have to say this mod isn't that good. Especcially since what I liked best about the CtP series is the fact it extended into the future, and If I'm to believe the author, Notable Civilization ended before guns.

Comment

Been playing Medieval Mod Pack 2 for CtP2 and its just unbelieveable. So many new units and concepts to keep you thinking which path should I take.
                          Have to try this Ages of Man as I know how good the mods are and the clever planning that goes into these mods. Now Ages of Man seem so much more as it on a new disc with manual.
                          I just wish there was a way to mail a check as I dont like using any pay sites yet. There is a downlode but would rather have updated manuel.

Comment

Already beaten AOM.

Just waiting for Civ4 now.

Comment

the title of this mod is sexist

I am boycotting it

for that reason and because CTP2 sucks
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X