Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another move hang error file.. if you know what the problem is I will quit sending these... if they are helpful, I will continue to send them and any other material that might prove useful... good luck:

Exception occurred during event dispatching:
    java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
    at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.checkForComodification( Unknown Source)
    at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)
    at game.military.command.ArmyCommand.addTaskForceToLi st(ArmyCommand.java:165)
    at game.government.Civilizations.listBySquares(Civili zations.java:123)
    at game.interfaces.Coordinator.listBySquares(Coordina tor.java:624)
    at game.military.lists.UnitsBySquare.(UnitsBySquare.java:33)
    at game.military.lists.Units.mapUnitsToSquares(Units. java:70)
    at game.gui.TaskForceFrame.updateTFPanel(TaskForceFra me.java:106)
    at game.gui.TaskForceFrame.updateSquare(TaskForceFram e.java:56)
    at game.gui.GUIManager$RefreshMap.run(GUIManager.java :44)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierar chy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
    java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
    at java.util.HashMap$Ha****erator.next(Unknown Source)
    at game.economics.PublicSector.iterateThroughOrders(P ublicSector.java:169)
    at game.economics.PublicSector.executeCivGovtEconOrde rs(PublicSector.java:157)
    at game.economics.PublicSector.executeGovtEconOrders( PublicSector.java:129)
    at game.economics.SquareEconomy.executeGovtEconOrders (SquareEconomy.java:494)
    at game.economics.ProvEconomy.executeGovtEconOrders(P rovEconomy.java:35)
    at game.economics.CivEconomy.executeGovtEconOrders(Ci vEconomy.java:210)
    at game.economics.CivEconomy.getSpending(CivEconomy.j ava:67)
    at game.ai.PlayerAI.displayEconomicsReport(PlayerAI.j ava:101)
    at game.ai.PlayerAI.completeTurn(PlayerAI.java:76)
    at game.manager.NextTurn.(NextTurn.java:40)
    at game.manager.Turn.run(Turn.java:78)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Comment

BTW as a side note this time there were no added warriors generated after I set to 0. I said it happens EVERY time, but obviously I was not accurate..

The econ still doesn't add up tho.. if u want anything from me of course I'll send it.. thx for all your team's work!!

Comment

As I've done before with earlier version I tried to run clash on my mac, this time using a small little freeware app called jarapp builder (as I have no way to really launch the jar file on my mac, unlike pc users who get the bat file).
        Anyway this way I actually was able to start it, however all I got was this:
        Code:
        Exception Occurred:
        java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/HashMap
        	at 
        	at game.manager.Game.(Compiled Code)
        	at game.manager.GameMain.main(GameMain.java:11)
        	at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMStaticMethodDispatcher.run(JMAWTContextImpl.java)
        	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
        Is this fixable? I'd really like to try this game, but so far I have been unable to do so
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Hi Gabriel: Yes the stack traces are useful, or will be when we get to debugging! Please do keep putting up ones that are unique.

Originally posted by GabrielGL
          wrt econ sums.. I take the value at the top of the econ orders.. it changes as i change orders so I assumed it was ok.. the maint. value is there at all times and is the program entered value.. I don't try to edit that number.. the number I compare it to is the "end of turn" value before and after the move.. seems the value before plus the value at the top of the econ orders should be the value at the next "end of turn".. maybe I am misunderstanding what these numbers are..
          It should work as you expect. One possibility is that your orders aren't ending up costing what it says. The econ model is quite complex, and things may not always cost what you think they will due to interaction of goods. First a quote from the tutorial and then I'll continue.

"There is currently a weakness in the econ GUI -- it only knows the cost and feasibility of orders individually. "

If you have two orders each of which use up half the manufactured goods, each order will be percieved as not costing too much, since it still leaves the economy with half the original amount. But taking All the mfg. goods out of economy costs more because the people value the last bits quite highly. This could be causing what you are seeing. Or it may be a bug. I ran some tests, and didn't see the problem you are talking about, but I have by no means done exhaustive tests.

Another possibility is that you may have lost territory, reducing taxes from the planned value.

wrt warrrior orders.. it was on Jericho.. I had cut off the warrior build (set to 0).. it built at least 2 warriors after that.. I did not ever give a square or province a build order.. maybe the game does and it keeps giving the build some min money until the build is complete. It happens almost everytime I play it so I can reproduce it easily..
          One possibility is that you invested enough production resources to build the warriors' weapons, but there wasn't enough population to complete the build. There needs to be a certain amount of population before the build will happen. That is because we didn't want military builds basically destroying the economy in an unrealistic fashion. When enough population does exist then the already-allocated resources will build a unit. You can look at the economy.txt file and see the size of residual warrior 'infrastructure' for the relevant turns to check on this. That's my best guess anyway as to what's going on.

Perhaps I am doing the road deal wrong.. the situation is always the same.. my pc lags a bit so I'll be building roads and make an error when the click doesn't register in the correct square.. when the wrong segment (blue line) appears, I immediately try the right click.. what specific click process should I use? The first time I tried it it worked.. maybe I was just by accident in the right place.. It's never worked for me since.. do I need to click a certain square? I may be just dense here..
          The left-click cancel must have been a late-breaking feature, er that is we broke it late and didn't notice. The behvior I see is what you say. Its just busted, we'll fix it when we get the chance.

Did u figure out a fix for the move hangs?
          Not yet. . . All my Clash time (not much due to RL) has been spent on the forum recently. I do have a note to look into the econ bug, but it may take a while if RL prevents me from getting to it today. Sorry! Holiday season commitments and all that.

Martin:

your post may well explain the teleportation bug. I don't know the details on how that part of the code works. Laurent, do you know if that could explain it? Martin, if you always return the focus back to normal, by clicking on the main map, does the teleportation bug go away?

Thanks guys for all the excellent playtesting and detailed comments!!!
          Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
          Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
            As I've done before with earlier version I tried to run clash on my mac, this time using a small little freeware app called jarapp builder (as I have no way to really launch the jar file on my mac, unlike pc users who get the bat file).
            Anyway this way I actually was able to start it, however all I got was this:
            Code:
            Exception Occurred:
            java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/util/HashMap
            	at 
            	at game.manager.Game.(Compiled Code)
            	at game.manager.GameMain.main(GameMain.java:11)
            	at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMStaticMethodDispatcher.run(JMAWTContextImpl.java)
            	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
            Is this fixable? I'd really like to try this game, but so far I have been unable to do so
            Hi Henrik! I'm not a mac guy so all I can do is repeat what others have said.

The issue is that OS X has the right version of java for Clash, and the jar can be executed directly. See Running Clash on Macintosh for how to do it. Essentially the crucial info is in the third post which says "All mac users need to do is disregard the batch file and double click on the jar file."

For OS 9 and below there is no known solution. From the thread link above:

I have checked the possibility to compile and run clash on Mac under MacOS9.

It does not work for the obvious reason that clash uses Java 2 Standard Edition classes. Some classes such as HashMap exist only in this new version of java.

The latest MRJ for OS9 (Mac Runtime for Java) is MRJ2.5.5 and is based on JDK 1.1.8 (an older version of java).
            The lack of the HashMap class is shown in your error, indicating your version of java isn't sufficiently new, and unfortunately no newer is available for OS9 and lower.

Henrik, I have to apologize on behalf of the team. I had no idea that there would be such compatibility issues with macs when we upgraded versions of Java. . . We are committed to supporting Mac and other platforms with Java. If we become aware of a fix we will post it.
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Gabriel:

One further idea for a workaround on the econ crashes. Try to never leave the econ orders windows open between turns. Just close them every time you're done issuing orders. I don't know if this has anything to do with your bug, but the bug could be caused in such circumstances.

Comment

The problem with running Clash under Mac OS 9 is caused by limitations in the JVM (Java Virtual Machine). The HashMap datatype was introduced in Java API version 1.2. (Java 2 is API version 1.3.1, I think) I don't remember for certain, but I think the latest JVM that Apple produced for OS 9 is Java API version 1.1.3 or 1.1.5.

When Apple started development on OS X, they stoped development (other than bugfixes) of the OS 9 JVM and focused on making a Java 2 JVM for OS X.

I don't know of any other JVMs available for OS 9 other than the one Apple created. In theory, you could create a Java 2 emulation layer for Java 1 using the Java 2 API as a reference, but that would probably take more effort than it's worth.
                Andy Black

Comment

Hi Mark
                  if you always return the focus back to normal, by clicking on the main map, does the teleportation bug go away?
                  I believe it does. Since I noticed the possible connection, I have only seen the bug when the focus was amiss. And when I think back I do believe it always happend after battle, so most likely it was after viewing the report, and thus with mixed focus.
                  Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                  Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Thanks for the comments MacHatter, but it sucks that there's no upgrade path for OS9. So Henrik, when are you getting your next computer

Originally posted by Martin the Dane
                    I believe it does. Since I noticed the possible connection, I have only seen the bug when the focus was amiss. And when I think back I do believe it always happend after battle, so most likely it was after viewing the report, and thus with mixed focus.
                    Thanks Martin, that's great, at least we have a workaround. We'll have to fix the bug of course, but it takes some of the pressure off on that one!

Comment

• I will have to wait atleast 6 months more then (I need to get more RAM before I can install OS X).
                      Oh well atleast this time you guys knew what was wrong (as I recall my problems has just been met by a stunned silence earlier)

This is looking very interesting and I will be back as soon as I get OS X (that might be a while though), now do you intend this thing to ship with any scenarios?
                      In the future I might be of help in that area...
                      Last edited by Henrik; December 16, 2002, 03:26.
                      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

• Just letting you know:
                        I have corrected the bug that allows you to join enemy units to your own. That might get rid of other bugs like lost settlers. Wht I did was to prevent the popup from appearing if you were on top of a unit not of your civ (you only get the details popup).
                        The teleportation focus description makes sense. The code is quite heavy on statics (global variables), and global variables, as should be well-known, are evil. Thus if you select a square without updating the TF panel, the TF panel believes the square is not the good one, hence potential teleportation and other funny things. I'll look at that stuff tonight or later this week.
                        btw the move crash looks like a shared list is modified by two processes at once. I'll check if I can find where this comes from. The stack trace is very helpful.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Sounds great Laurent, I have yet to get to the econ bug, but I definitely will have time to do some coding over the holiday break.

Originally posted by Henrik
                          This is looking very interesting and I will be back as soon as I get OS X (that might be a while though), now do you intend this thing to ship with any scenarios?
                          In the future I might be of help in that area...
                          Hey Henrik:

We would like to ship with as many high-quality scenarios as we can! Please do contact me again when you're ready and I'll give you a package suitable for scenario building.

Comment

• Slight question for the teleportation bug correction:
                            I have two ways to correct this:
                            After looking at a combat report in the event window I can either not select the square (done, corrects the bug), or select the square and show it in the TaskForce panel (so it would act exactly as if you selected the square). Which one do you prefer? I tend to think that selecting the square through combat report event window may be confusing, but that is also because I am lazy, so I don't trust myself here. Which solution do you prefer?
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Well personally I would prefer that the square gets fully selected, but only if it is vissible to the player.
                              Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                              Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

• I'm with Martin, but I don't have a very strong opinion. Good luck dealing with your laziness Laurent .

Comment

Working...
                                X