X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard:

quote:

How can you say both of these things? The only way they could both be true is if you believe that today's computers are only eight times as good as ENIAC.

You seem to be confusing "knowledge level", which is something we Made Up, with what comes out in terms of effectiveness. The effectiveness of computers is vastly greater, by factors of billions or more, that of early computers. As you point out further down, there's nothing inconsistent in the formalism with doing things the way I proposed. It just means that some parameters need to exceed ranges which you seem to have had in mind but never stated. So it is perfectly possible to say both of the things that I quoted and be completely consistent as far as far as I know. I'll admit my approach might have been bad design, I claim no lock on wisdom in that area.

quote:

"Knowledge" is not an arbitrary amount. It is a very real quantity...

I think your notion of knowledge in Clash must be flawed in a fundamental sense, since your knowledge vs effectiveness formula implies that the computer industry has created vast amounts of knowledge, equivalent to something like a tech level of 0 through 300 in the space of 50 years. It is the fact that advances in the computer area achieve vast leverage through physical scaling laws that computers are so much improved. I don't think there's any way that you can claim that the "knowledge" in the computer manufacturing industry currently is more than the sum total of all other knowledge in all other areas (with perhaps a few exceptions) from 5000 B.C. which is what your statements imply to me. Computers are cool, I love them and the Internet. Without them this project would not be possible in its present form. But more knowledge than Everything Else??? Your approach may be ok for a game, but I caution you to avoid taking it too seriously when mapping it to the real world.

I just took this admittedly pedantic excursion because I thought some of these ideas might come in handy in looking at the model. Your criticisms of requiring h and potentially other values that are way out of the "normal" range are certainly legitimate. Because you're the guy that came up with the model, and especially because you and LGJ seem to agree on this, I have no problem with trying it your way first. If it works great and the players don't have any problem with it, I'll be sorry I wasted all the time on this concept . So let's go ahead and try it in the way that you have in mind. I freely admit that having knowledge levels in sync throughout the game was somewhat unrealistic. However, I believe that you need to make a lot of decisions that cut corners in the absolute truths in order to make an engaging game. Quite simply that was what I was trying to do. I'm still not necessarily convinced that my approach is wrong, but we need to move forward on this and your way certainly has some advantages as you point out

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited March 07, 2000).]
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

• LGJ:

I agree with the merit of the view expressed in your first paragraph. I guess its a matter of the way our individual brains work which approach, yours or mine, would be preferred.

On the latter part of your argument, as far as I understand the system its not really relevant. The math of knowledge change should work the same no matter which choice we make. However I will leave it to Richard, since he has thought about it a lot more, to figure out whether those points of yours are really relevant to the system.

Rodrigo:

We just haven't really gotten to that part yet. In terms of the effects you outline I agree completely. Perhaps these should go in the 'RP generation' area more naturally anyway. We have Very little in that area so far.
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

• Knowledge for computers is NOT a measurement of how many flops the thing is capable of. It is the civ's ability to apply its computers to practical use. It is a measurement of how much you can do with the computer. For example, a climate simulator requires a certain speed of computer to run, but the effectiveness of that climate simulator is not directly related to the procesor speed of the computer.

I would say that our ability to put computers to practical use has doubled about every seven or eight years. Hardware specs have risen a lot faster, but that is not what we are measuring.
        ---
        I don't think there's any way that you can claim that the "knowledge" in the computer manufacturing industry currently is more than the sum total of all other knowledge in all other areas (with perhaps a few exceptions) from 5000 B.C.
        ---
        I never made that claim. What I said was that the ratio of current computer ability to 1960's computer ability is similar to the ratio of current agricultural ability to the agricultural ability of the ancient Sumerians.

I have been thinking in terms of what a thing can do, not the amount of data that has been collected or the technical specs of something. Knowledge is the ability of the thing to aid your civ by doing something useful; the knowledge of its practical applications.

I hope that clears things up. This issue seemed to be your biggest objection to keeping the 2x per 10 rule.

Comment

• Doubling of effectiveness usually takes less time than the previous level. So something that took 2000 years to go from .01-10.00 would take ~1500 to go from 10.01 to 20.00. This is true for almost any type of research.
          Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
          Mitsumi Otohime
          Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

• I know. There have also been times when it slid back. FE middle europe did slide back on mathmatics and other areas like that (while they did advance in other areas such as agriculture, they were the ones who first started using crop rotation a lot).
            Mitsumi Otohime
            Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

• That is only true if you are generating a lot more RP's. Even without tech loss, going from level 20 to level 30 takes half as many RP's as advancing from level 30 to level 40.

Comment

• Gentlemen:

Well, like I said above, I think we have sufficient agreement to allow a test of the technology system. We could argue the minutiae of agricultural vs computer progress and such forever, and I don't think it will help our cause much.

Has Garth mentioned whether he would like to cobble up an independent technology evaluator first, before moving on to integrating it into the entire program? I myself am not sure whether that is worthwhile, since it is the interaction of the RPs generated by the civs and the tech model that will determine whether the thing really works or not. However, given that the model is really complicated the correct approach IMO is to take it in as small pieces as we think we can learn something from.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited March 12, 2000).]

Comment

• One big question:

So ya'll have decided to use encapsulation instead of an object inheritance hierarchy, it seems?

One basic 'tech' object, with properties that can be set?

This choice carries serious costs, as I'm sure ya'll know. Have those choices been discussed yet? Specifically, this means that the techs can not be too involved, in terms of how they interact with other models. Gains in flexibility have a cost. The other choice is to 'inherit'. It would be somewhat less simple to create custom techs 'on the fly', but the techs would be much, much more powerful and unique. It looks like Lordy has chosen 'inheritance' for the 'Wonder' model.

Was a flexible system the prime directive? Or was power and uniqueness the goal? How often will custom techs be created? Should creating them be the focus of the model? Just asking . . .

Comment

• More detail:

With this approach, would a tech be able to modify another object (wonder, unit, resource)?

For example, can a tech decrease wonder build time? Or could a tech increase the speed/power/armor of a single, specific unit? Or could a tech increase the processing speed of grain (not all food, just grain)? Would a tech be able to increase the speed of aircraft? The range of a single weapon-type?

With an object hierarchy, you have that power, that uniqueness, that customizability of behavior. That is usually what you give up when you use encapsulation. Encapsulation is usually used when you will change something often, on the fly, like in the middle of a game. And it doesn't seem like you will be doing that. Does this 'model' allow for those kinds of tech, in some way I missed?

Is this really the correct design choice, in this instance?

Comment

• F_Smith:
                      Was a flexible system the prime directive? Or was power and uniqueness the goal? How often will custom techs be created? Should creating them be the focus of the model? Just asking . . .
                      ----
                      Flexibility is a concern, however I'm leaning toward power and uniquness. Somewhere in the middle is where it stands.

With this approach, would a tech be able to modify another object (wonder, unit, resource)?
                      -----
                      Theoretically it could certain objects, but not everything. It just depends on the type of object. FE infantry can have upgraded weapons and armor as well as tactics, but things like city walls unless you pretty much rebuild them won't be able to gain anything much (few exceptions like towers FE).

For example, can a tech decrease wonder build time?
                      ----
                      Prob not

Or could a tech increase the speed/power/armor of a single, specific unit?
                      ----
                      Specific unit or unit type. No and yes.

Or could a tech increase the processing speed of grain (not all food, just grain)?
                      ----
                      Um not sure. I would think so.

Would a tech be able to increase the speed of aircraft?
                      ----
                      Yes.

The range of a single weapon-type?
                      ----
                      Yes, and accuracy and effectiveness.

Each thing u decibed that i agreed to can only be done so much the burden of diminishing returns on improvements.

With an object hierarchy, you have that power, that uniqueness, that customizability of behavior. That is usually what you give up when you use encapsulation. Encapsulation is usually used when you will change something often, on the fly, like in the middle of a game. And it doesn't seem like you will be doing that. Does this 'model' allow for those kinds of tech, in some way I missed?
                      ----
                      not sure could u give an example.
                      Mitsumi Otohime

Comment

• This is the e-mail that Garth sent me:
                        ---
                        I've begun work on the tech tree builder.
                        Basically what its going to look like is a main form which lists the various levels of technologies in a drop down.
                        Then there will be a button you click to create new technologies.
                        This will open a new window and you can go filling in the name and details.

There will also be a Linkage button which will allow you to create the dependancies that a technology has.
                        So you will select a technology, and then select another parent technology, and the percentage the child is dependant on the parent.

This percentage should add up to 100%.

This will then be saved to a text file.
                        You will also have the ability to load an existing tech tree up into it.

I am also considering writing a tech development simulator where you watch time go buy with certain resources and you
                        can allocate your development and see how your technology ability grows over time.
                        ---

The system and tech utility are designed around my idea of tech level progression, so using that will be a lot easier for now. We can change it later if we need to. I am working on mapping out the tech tree; I should have the outline by the time Garth is finished with the editor.

Comment

• Lordy:

Actually, the reason I'm going on and on about OOA for the tech system is that this is not going to be powerful, as it currently stands.

They have already made that design choice. There is no object hierarchy for tech objects. All tech objects will use a single method to apply their bonuses. Which means two things:
                            [*]That method will have a switch statement with 100+ parts, and associated methods -- one for each tech (a coding nightmare!!!).[*]All tech objects will have to behave in a basically similar way.[/list=a]
                            The problem is no one has yet done the basic analysis you're going thru for the wonder model. No one has identified the behaviors of a tech object. So now, all the tech objects will have to behave basically the same. Instead of each tech being it's own object, and behaving in a unique way, you have one object to represent all techs.

Using an object approach, you can just have the 'applyTechBonus()' method take an 'object' parameter. And that parameter can be anything. So that tech can change anything in that object. Pass in a Wonder object, and you can modify anything in that wonder with that tech. Same with units -- individual or type. Or resource, or civ, or mapsquare, and on, and on. Any object. Any modification in that object.

This is what you give up when you choose not to use an object hierarchy. They can try and simulate this behavior with a switch statement, but with so many different cases that will be almost totally impossible, for a half-dozen reasons. And it means you have to re-code the basic tech object for every new tech 'type'. And if whoever does that modification makes a mistake, it can bring down the whole tech system.

And that's why I'm on about doing some OOA on this tech system before they get started coding!!!

and the drum beats on . . .

Comment

• Richard:

How would this 'alter variable' command be coded?

I don't see how this works, with your current design. The coding will be a huge mess.

Has Garth indicated how he plans this part? Specifically, how can ya'll use this command/method to apply to any variable in the game?

Wouldn't it require variables to have unique names across all models -- no name duplication allowed from model to model? That would be a nightmare, too.

The only way to achieve that sort of power is with an object model, at least in my experience.

Comment

• I have no idea how Garth is coding the thing, but we have planned for the ability of a technology or application to change any variable in the game using an Alter Variable command. This command can be defined by the user in the tech editor. So technology can change any number in any formula in the game engine as much as we want. But they won't change the game engine itself, as far as I know.

Comment

• I can only think of one thing that i dislike in this model. I don't think that u ever should be able to research more than 100% in any area. I think that 100% should be 100% of that technology that is possible to get in the game.
                                stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X