Post count question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gramphos
    That is a bug due to overflow, which happens when two moderators delete the same thread at once. Then post count is reduced twice for the thread. And if post counts go below 0 they jump to 65536. That user should have been banned, and not be displayed in the user list.
    Does it not strike you as stupid to use such little precision for that field?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

This can be closed now

Thanks for the quick assistance and Gramphos, thanks for the quick and easy explanation
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

no wait!

what determines the exact number of 65536 anyway?

and will VB3 fix this?

also VB3 Update? (sorry i had to throw this in here)
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
          no wait!

and will VB3 fix this?

also VB3 Update? (sorry i had to throw this in here)
          [Q=Snoopy369]Well, if you want I could always adjust your count to give you more room ...[/Q]

Snoopy helped come up with an ongoing maintainence program and

[Q=Gramphos]That is a bug due to overflow, which happens when two moderators delete the same thread at once. Then post count is reduced twice for the thread. And if post counts go below 0 they jump to 65536. That user should have been banned, and not be displayed in the user list.[/Q] Gramphos outed the Mods that caused this by randomly picking a new person and putting them ahead of all the hard work I have contributed, so childish but Gramphos knew exactly what it was and called it for what it was, WRONG

Comment

Quite frankly, I think the question was asked and it has been answered.

*In Ming's tone of voice* Case Closed!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Does it not strike you as stupid to use such little precision for that field?
              Back in ~2000 when Markos set up vB2? No, not at all. In fact, that seems just about right: no one even had 3000 posts back then. Now, 8 years and for some of our users 30-40k posts later, you might have a case -- although even now it'll probably still be at least another 3-4 years before we really have to worry. And of course it's trivial to upgrade the data type so it doesn't really matter.

The real question is, should we fix this? It sure it awefully tempting not to

Originally posted by AAHZ
              = 2^16, the number of values you can store in 2 bytes, which is how much space is reserved by the database to store postcount.
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

You're going to hit that limit sooner rather than later. You guys should up the precision when you do the vb3 move within the next decade.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

something tells me vb3 has a higher limit....
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                    That is a bug due to overflow, which happens when two moderators delete the same thread at once. Then post count is reduced twice for the thread. And if post counts go below 0 they jump to 65536. That user should have been banned, and not be displayed in the user list.
                    I demand all my posts back from my double deleted threads!

Comment

Too funny. Although I think it would be cool if Gramps hit 65k and it rolled over.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Too funny. Although I think it would be cool if Gramps hit 65k and it rolled over.
                        It would make my heart drop like this building

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          I demand all my posts back from my double deleted threads!

This is probably no problem. What was your actual post count? Ah yes, 65535. Looks like you have almost mastered the deity level, so that we can welcome you soon to next level:

Settler

By the way, were is the big grin on the message icon list?

-Martin
                          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

C'mon, let it roll over to Settler and then you can brag about how long you've been posting and are still a settler, that means that you only post when it is REALLY important.
                            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

so just what is this post count thing
                              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Never heard of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X