Soren Johnson Leaves Firaxis Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soren Johnson Leaves Firaxis Games

On April 2nd, the Co-Lead Designer on Civilization III and Lead Designer on Civilization IV began a new chapter in his gaming career. After nearly seven years at game developer Firaxis Games in Maryland, Soren Johnson has returned to the West Coast and (re-)joined California-based game developer/publisher Electronic Arts. He previously interned there as part of the programming team for sports titles Knockout Kings 2000 and 2001 for the PlayStation console.

Since 1994, Johnson has been immersed in the study of computer programming and design; his interest in the field began a student at Stanford University where he earned an AB in History with honors and a MS in Computer Science with a focus on Human-Computer Interaction. It was while at Stanford that he was an EA intern. Now, Johnson is working on the development of the cross-platform Spore title in what Maxis designer Will Wright has referred to as a Massively Single-Player (MMSP) game. It is anticipated to be released later this year.

Firaxis previously worked with EA prior to Johnson's arrival: Alpha Centauri and its Alien Crossfire expansion both released in 1999. Spore is anticipated to be released later this year.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

I wish him the best of luck.

Soren was a very good influence on Civ during his time.

Keep on Civ'in, Soren.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Whine ... sob! I wish him well, but I also hope he sufficiently passed his knowledge of the code to other programmers at Firaxis.

Comment

I think that Firaxis is a lot more open about the code than it was in the days of Brian.

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Bad news for Civ.

Good news for Spore.

If MMSP means Massively Single-Player, what does the second M stand for?

Comment

Think WoW but where there is no BG or Raids/Dungeons.

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

bad news for civ. i hope we hear from firaxis on who's going to be the lead designer of civ5 (yeah ok, it's not announced yet)...

awsome news for spore! i already planned to install windows for BTS in the summer, now spore has an added value. all i need is to find the time to play

congrats Soren!!
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Wow. This is terrible news for civ

Congrats to Soren for getting to work on what looks like a fascinating game though

Comment

dont forget! you read it first on Apolyton!

Comment

So will we get a Spore forum when it's released? I believe we owe that to Soren. And I propose DrSpike as moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      bad news for civ. i hope we hear from firaxis on who's going to be the lead designer of civ5 (yeah ok, it's not announced yet)...
                      Alexman!

Let's sign a petition. They have no choice but to listen to The People.

Comment

Well I wish him luck, but leaving Civ for Spore? I mean, come on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                          Alexman!

Let's sign a petition. They have no choice but to listen to The People.
                          sssssh! dont reveal the secret plan to put a Creek in charge of civ!!

Comment

I don't understand how a stream can be in charge of a game.

Comment

good thing this news was not around april 1

sad for civ

great for Soren

many many thanks

good luck
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                              X