No announcement yet.

Soren Johnson Leaves Firaxis Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way I saw Soren lurking yesterday. Not as "Soren Johnson FIRAXIS" anymore, but just as "Soren Johnson". I didn't know yet that is means he left Firaxis.

But since he continues to lurk Apolyton even though he doesn't have professional interest in Civ anymore makes me hope, that it may be he's seeing this site as platform for a potential Spore community.

Comment

I refuse to take your obvious bait.

Comment

I've been so busy I haven't even commented on this yet, shame on me. Anyway, this is a great loss for Firaxis and the Civ community (though fortunately thanks to Soren's efforts there's a couple of successors waiting in the wings), a great gain for Will Wright's team at EA and a unique opportunity for Soren

Few people can say they've learned from the best but I count myself among them as I've learned a lot from testing and working on Civ4 under Soren's lead But Soren is in the unique situation that he can soon say he's learned from arguably the two greatest PC game designers in history (yes, I know most people here hate Will Wright because of the Sims but that's not how the industry or I feel about him). Lucky bastard

Congratulations, Soren, and best of luck! I know we can expect great things from you in the years to come, good to know Spore is one of them

Don't forget to check in here from time to time though, and thanks for all the fish!
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
          By the way I saw Soren lurking yesterday. Not as "Soren Johnson FIRAXIS" anymore, but just as "Soren Johnson". I didn't know yet that is means he left Firaxis.

But since he continues to lurk Apolyton even though he doesn't have professional interest in Civ anymore makes me hope, that it may be he's seeing this site as platform for a potential Spore community.
          Well, we did break this story exclusively (you'll note there's no external source quoted in the news item as there always is for non-internal Apolyton news), that took some back-and-forth by PM. And I'm sure Soren will want to read our reactions now that this is public. But Soren came to Apolyton before he came to Firaxis, so I hope he'll keep checking in here from time to time -- although I understand enough of the gaming industry and its grueling schedules to understand that this is not likely
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Spikes will frown, of course, but I wholeheartedly support the motion for Spore to be covered by Apolyton.

It can in many ways be considered within the scope of this site (well if RoN was, then Spore sure as hell is) and as someone else said, it would be a great Tribute to Soren.

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

:frown:

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                And I'm sure Soren will want to read our reactions now that this is public.
                If that is so, let me add my good wishes for Soren. May the new title you're working for become as much of a success as Civ4 was and still is.

But Soren came to Apolyton before he came to Firaxis, so I hope he'll keep checking in here from time to time -- although I understand enough of the gaming industry and its grueling schedules to understand that this is not likely
                Well, well... if there were an active Spore community in this forum (and there for sure is potential), his further visits might be even more likely. Apolyton needs new ways (hint, hint ).

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                  Spikes will frown, of course, but I wholeheartedly support the motion for Spore to be covered by Apolyton.
                  DrSpike would love this
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Oh and to Firaxis: Move your rear ends and hire Blake! Lump him together with Alexman and I'm sure Civ5 will be great!

Comment

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it sounds like Soren deserves a lot of the credit for Civ4 being the great game that it is. Thanks, Soren, and good luck in the future.

Here's hoping Firaxis can live up to the standard set by Civ4.

Comment

Wow, and to think I got to tinker around on his computer for a while when Trip smoked him at Apolycon 06. He's a great guy with a wicked machine.

As to SPORE, I've been following that game's development since 2005, it looked awesome then, with Soren I'm sure there will be all kinds of nifty additions.

I agree with others that there should be a SPORE section on this site, both for Soren, and so I can stop posting in non-Apolyton forums.
                        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Soren's contributions to Civ are amazing. And he is, of course, the main person to thank for Civ4 being the great game it turned out to be. Soren is a great designer, and, on a personal note, the time I spent testing Civ4 under his guidance was a great learning experience - and great fun, too. Thankfully, Civ4 and the Civ series is now in some very capable hands.

I haven't really followed Spore's development because, frankly, it seems downright boring to me, but with Soren on it, I will at least now follow the development process. Who knows, maybe I'll even play it.

Good luck Soren
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            dont forget! you read it first on Apolyton!

I didn't put an "Apolyton exclusive" label on this because I figured it was obvious. In all seriousness, I'll let others label this an Apolyton exclusive.
                            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Now, I'll comment on this story myself.

I was saddened to learn that Soren had left Firaxis, but I wish him very well at EA. It was a pleasure to have worked with him over these past 7 years and to have met him at ApolyCon '06 last summer (autograph included ).

As others have already said, Soren: hope you'll be willing and able to drop by and visit us now and again.
                              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Soory to see that Soren has left "us". I wish him all luck in his new job though.

And who knows, perhaps Apolyton get some exclusives on Spore?:drool:
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X