This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnT

And for what purpose was OT counts removed? Why, for no purpose whatsoever, except to "show" the people who enjoy the community here, long after the games have lost meaning to their lives, that they are not wanted anymore...
    You're wrong there, JohnT. Surely you remember what the OT was like... It was impossible to moderate... Sprawling with new threads, and for what? People abused it to get high postcounts... Eliminating posts counting and only allowing the creation of X (2?) new threads per day per poster were measures to curb the nonsense...

I remember one thread called "The bump thread"... It was all about bumping the thread so that it was always on the first page...

You're points about the clicks and "second rate" posters are well taken, but this site was born out of love for Civ 2 and the Civ franchise... It would never have taken off as it has (or even exist?) without that...

Still, if it is as you say (that OT contributes to the site's revenues) something is not right...

Carolus
    Last edited by Carolus Rex; June 2, 2005, 07:09.

Comment

• The OT-forum puts a heavy load on this sites infrastructure so it's only fair they get to contribute to it's revenues.

Even if their posts aren't conted
      (I don't care that much about my post count, not after getting the custom avatar)
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

• Grandpa Troll- realized that you were congratulating me- I am very grateful for it- I was just clarifying things.

If there was no post count there would be no debate. We´d all be equal (except for the mods and owners who are more equal than others... ) The titles could remain, but be rewarded based on the length of membership rather than how much you post.
        Which is wrong when some people register, then never post higher Postcount isn't a science, but it's more correct than mere registration dates. And Post Stats are even greater still- though I doubt that many people here off the top of their head know what everything means or is exactly calculated.

I'm of the opinion that A/C posts should not count either.
        ... but they're 'site-related' so at least they're relevant somewhat to contribuiting to the purpose of the site- though it is true, post stats discussions really should be in the OT (even though, officially I think, they're still illegal)- but you don't see me here complaining about that...
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud

... but they're 'site-related' so at least they're relevant somewhat to contribuiting to the purpose of the site- though it is true, post stats discussions really should be in the OT (even though, officially I think, they're still illegal)- but you don't see me here complaining about that...
          actually quite a few people regularly come to A/C to denounce A/C spam.
          In fact, I say "Down with A/C spam! Now!"

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• i think better way of making the different levels would be to multipy the post count by length of membership so those that have been round longer and maintained a high post count are deitys, and those that hav eonly been here a year or less wont be rewarded for posting lots just to get to deity level.
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasputin
              i think better way of making the different levels would be to multipy the post count by length of membership so those that have been round longer and maintained a high post count are deitys, and those that hav eonly been here a year or less wont be rewarded for posting lots just to get to deity level.
              I like it the way Markos intended it to be just like it is
              Attached Files
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

I like it the way Markos intended it to be just like it is
                Crawler

Comment

• Originally posted by Carolus Rex

You're wrong there, JohnT. Surely you remember what the OT was like... It was impossible to moderate... Sprawling with new threads, and for what? People abused it to get high postcounts... Eliminating posts counting and only allowing the creation of X (2?) new threads per day per poster were measures to curb the nonsense...

I remember one thread called "The bump thread"... It was all about bumping the thread so that it was always on the first page...

You're points about the clicks and "second rate" posters are well taken, but this site was born out of love for Civ 2 and the Civ franchise... It would never have taken off as it has (or even exist?) without that...

Still, if it is as you say (that OT contributes to the site's revenues) something is not right...

Carolus
                  C'mon. The reason why the OT went crazy as you described was when moderatorship was first imposed: the kids weren't used to being controlled online. Now, after a few years and the addition of moderators to 'most every board out there, it's become a moot point. And it's not just here on Apolyton, you see the reduction of such crap pretty much all across the internet. "The Bump Thread" and it's like are eliminated by effective moderatorship, not because of post count elimination on the OT.

All that the elimination of post counts in the OT did was move the spam to the on-topic forums. I can easily imagine a couple of funny guys setting up their own, "real", PBEM game, giving themselves a fair number of

"your turn"

types of +1's.

As well as the official "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" spam threads ... including this very own forum's picture thread with 3,995 replies since July 2002. Is it not surprising to find that 4 of the 21 Dieties are among the top 6 posters in that thread alone? For Rasputin, that one thread accounts for 1.5% of his entire post count.

Then there are the "Civ-related" hangman games in "Other Games." A well thought-out post on Gorecki's third symphony* isn't worth as much as

G

?

Sorry, but I call BS on your points. The elimination of post counts was done specifically to make OTers second-class citizens, as Mark and Dan feared that the OT would overwhelm the rest of the site.

However, they couldn't escape the fact that the OT drove the hit counts through the roof, hit counts that they freely admit in their FAQ are generating revenue, which is why they didn't do the logical thing, given their stated reasons, and eliminate the OT altogether. The OT hit revenue was needed.

Not to mention the $18.00/year subscription which I gladly pay to a website that gladly treats me back like a second class citizen, all for the mere crime of not having the time to "play" one of these behemoths the software companies are putting out today nor the desire to discuss games that I'm not going to play.

My point is this: if you're going to be generating revenue off my use of the site, that revenue being no different from any other user of that same function, then I should be treated as any other user. If I go through the additional voluntary expense of paying $18.00/year for the purposes of supporting a site that I enjoy, then I definitely should be treated just as any other user, with my posts counting regardless of where I post.

Or get rid of the damn things altogether. But stop using them as a weapon.

*For the humorless among you, this is what's known as a joke.

Comment

• yes the good old picture thread...

at least some of us are still posting pictures there...

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT
                      Sorry, but I call BS on your points. The elimination of post counts was done specifically to make OTers second-class citizens, as Mark and Dan feared that the OT would overwhelm the rest of the site.

However, they couldn't escape the fact that the OT drove the hit counts through the roof, hit counts that they freely admit in their FAQ are generating revenue, which is why they didn't do the logical thing, given their stated reasons, and eliminate the OT altogether. The OT hit revenue was needed.

Not to mention the $18.00/year subscription which I gladly pay to a website that gladly treats me back like a second class citizen, all for the mere crime of not having the time to "play" one of these behemoths the software companies are putting out today nor the desire to discuss games that I'm not going to play.

My point is this: if you're going to be generating revenue off my use of the site, that revenue being no different from any other user of that same function, then I should be treated as any other user. If I go through the additional voluntary expense of paying $18.00/year for the purposes of supporting a site that I enjoy, then I definitely should be treated just as any other user, with my posts counting regardless of where I post.

Or get rid of the damn things altogether. But stop using them as a weapon.

*For the humorless among you, this is what's known as a joke.
                      Oh God. I thought you were being serious.

Comment

• he is from OT they never serious

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud

Which is wrong when some people register, then never post higher Postcount isn't a science, but it's more correct than mere registration dates. And Post Stats are even greater still- though I doubt that many people here off the top of their head know what everything means or is exactly calculated.
                          But people would pay no heed to a Emperor who has made only a handful of posts. So it would take care of itself...

If you really want this post count thingie to be "fair" you have to set up some parameters for deciding which posts to count and what not to count. Spamming the on-topic forums with idle chit chat, mildly amusing pictures and "turn sent" posts shouldn´t really count. And I do quite a lot of the first two...

But you have to draw the line somewhere I guess, and can´t really complain about the current state of things
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• Good point Zoidberg

Comment

• is there a Sid level ??
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• No, and neither should there be one.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X