This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solver
    Oh I remember visiting civgames.com. What a site. Was my first ever source for Civ-related stuff, before I stumbled onto Apolyton.
    ...That's interesting. I didn't remember that. Don't remember seeing you on the forums there that often...

You got lucky though, reismark only started the original civgames in October 2000, If I remember correctly

I was much more closely connected with its original incarnation than the second one after the March 2001 ?? disconnect...

I was actually co-OT mod with (orange?) from Dec 2000-March 2001 ?? I seem to remember.

*sigh* those were the days...
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud

-
      I'm beginning to feel very old here.
      -

only as old as ya feel matey and an influx of new people will be great indeed
      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Wow DC now that you mention it all, I start to feel old too. FOA, just like the Column, will clearly be an irreguar feauture of the site . And dream on, I am not more of an OTer than you . If I post in the OT twice a week, that hardly counts .

I only posted on the Civgames.com forums maybe a dozen times. I was quite a young Internet user then, and my English writing was also far worse than now. Whistler certainly stands out though in my memories . I am still not sure if I have seen better examples of profanity use in English.

Wow... if I have 'old' memories, and I still am a relative newbie on this site, I dread to think about the memories of those who have been in it for 2-3 years longer than I .
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
          FOA, just like the Column, will clearly be an irreguar feauture of the site
          It shouldn't be. The slow rate at which they've appeared for the last 3 years is just laziness IMO - there is a lot of scope for the feature.

Comment

• There's a lot of scope for a lot of feautures .

Comment

• Which wont be realised if:

(a) the person responsible for them isn't interested in doing them any more; and

(b) the person responsible for them actively blocked other community members who offered to take over the feature.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                Which wont be realised if:

(a) the person responsible for them isn't interested in doing them any more; and

(b) the person responsible for them actively blocked other community members who offered to take over the feature.
                a) plenty of others here willing to do things

b) are there not others that can then unblock such issues?
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Have you ever considered that ALL the work being done by Apolyton staff is done on a volunteer basis in the free time of said staff members? For example, a FOA interview is quite time-consuming to make, taking possibly two weeks. Also, you'll notice that the site does expand and develop new feautures, such as the Civ4 section that opened today. Which also took time investments from staff.

Next, the only people who can block offers of community members and whatnot are Dan and Markos. The rest can only express their opinions. No matter what I may have said about your offers, it can't count as "blocking".

Comment

• thanks for clarifying that Solver
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Have you ever considered that ALL the work being done by Apolyton staff is done on a volunteer basis in the free time of said staff members? For example, a FOA interview is quite time-consuming to make, taking possibly two weeks. Also, you'll notice that the site does expand and develop new feautures, such as the Civ4 section that opened today. Which also took time investments from staff.
                      We all applaud the efforts of the volunteers at this site. However, if you are just too busy admit it and stand down from the interviews.

Comment

• Well, it IS an irregular feauture. It's not like I fail to do some interviews on schedule, because there isn't such a thing. BTW, whatever you may think, it wouldn't be possible to have an interview every other week regularly, no matter who worked on that.

EDIT: One more thing. My work here depends on the priorities set forth by the owners. For instance, the current priority is Civ4 coverage on Apolyton. If Markos told me getting a new interview is priority, that would be done.

Comment

• ahh I take it you two have been having this discussion for sometime

Registered Members: 64075
                          103991 threads and 3342229 posts in total

surely there be a few extra volunteers in amongst a number that large

and so to even in the people that actually post here

this be a community, and many here enjoy the show
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Well, it IS an irregular feauture. It's not like I fail to do some interviews on schedule, because there isn't such a thing. BTW, whatever you may think, it wouldn't be possible to have an interview every other week regularly, no matter who worked on that.
                            Come now.......once per fortnight would arguably be unreasonable. However, checking the site there is one since August 2002 (and I think perhaps one other that hasn't been put on there?)

Just to spell out the maths that's 2 (or close) in almost 3 years.

I repeat, I think you should either do more than you currently are with this feature, or stand down and let someone else take over.

Comment

• Wait... one since August 2002? Either that is wrong, or time really flies much faster than I had thought. Damnit.

Comment

• It's not one - as I said there was another (at least one) that you did that isn't there.

However, it isn't many more than 1.

Until it is addressed, I repeat again: I think you should either do more than you currently are with this feature, or stand down and let someone else take over.

Comment

Working...
                                X