Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatthehell is 'Magna *** laude', and where is it ever used? If I ever encounter the word '***' it is only to do with the reason it is censored here. There aren't too many words I think are right to censor on a popular, public site like Apolyton, but this IS one of the few.

Good to see Dick is OK now, although it was kinda funny knowing that, no matter what the poster's professed opinions, everyone ALWAYS swore at the Bush Administration

Perhaps the auto-censor could have an option to be disabled for PLUS subscribers.....
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

• Whatthehell is 'Magna *** laude', and where is it ever used?

It's latin:

mag·na *** lau·de
      adv. & adj.

With high honors. Used to express high academic distinction: graduated magna *** laude; 25 magna *** laude graduates.

Comment

• "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO
          While I'm sure my 13 year old probably knows the word, I still don't want him looking up Civ strategy and coming across words he doesn't hear at home.

Sorry. I AM pro free speech, but this is a "family friendly" site.
          What's so unfamily friendly about saying "Magna *** laude?" Do you forbid Latin in your home?
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

What's so unfamily friendly about saying "Magna *** laude?" Do you forbid Latin in your home?
            Absolutely. And any other vile South American language.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Since when is Latin a South American language?
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercator
                Since when is Latin a South American language?
                This must be the most spectcular one in the history of Apolyton. Well done Mercator
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

• I thought about that... But I'm afraid he's going to have a really smart retort to that.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• I think molly may just be making a quip. Unlike Dan Quayle who was serious.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• What, seriously? Or rather, not seriously?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercator
                        Since when is Latin a South American language?

I see that irony and modern history are both much appreciated on 'Poly's boards.

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people"

-- Vice President Dan Quayle

Even if it isn't true, it's so in character, it should be.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

After my 9th grade Latin teacher, it has always been banned in my house! Man, I still hate her.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• When a word like Dick comes up,they listened and made the quick change.
                            I won't deny that they listened and made a change- but I thought that "dick" was still censored from 2000-2002 at the very least. So I wouldn't say... 'quick'
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• heh, I just noticed *** was censored the other day. makes it look funny when someone wrote: ***-for-tat

Comment

• Diss is, among other things, remarkable for his omniscient command of present affairs.
                                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                                X