Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't believe they're expanding. Crazy.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

They are going to have another expansion partner and it isn't going to be Quebec. Are they going to try Atlanta for a third time?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The worst-kept secret in hockey is no more.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announced on Wednesday that the league will welcome a Las Vegas expansion team to begin play with the 2017-18 season.

“In the fall of 2017, when we celebrate the 100th birthday of the NHL, we will do so as a League of 31 teams,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “We are pleased to welcome Bill Foley and the city of Las Vegas to the League and are truly excited that an NHL franchise will be the first major professional sports team in this vibrant, growing, global destination city.”

With Foley, the man who will own the Las Vegas Probably Black Knights franchise, in attendance, Bettman made it official that the league will expand for the first time since adding the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild for the 2000-01 season.

After the League’s executive committee on expansion passed on their recommendation, the NHL’s Board of Governors voted unanimously to approve Las Vegas and accept their $500 million USD fee.

“On behalf of the Las Vegas Founding 75, our 14,000 season-ticket holders and the entire Las Vegas community, I would like to thank Commissioner Bettman, the NHL staff and the team owners for their support during this process and the confidence they have placed in Las Vegas by awarding this franchise,” said Foley. “I also would like to thank everyone who supported us through this incredible journey. As I’ve said many times over the past year, Las Vegas is a hockey town and we look forward to cheering on our home team.”

The Las Vegas franchise will play in the $375 million T-Mobile Arena which opened earlier this year and have a home in the Pacific Division. They will also have the same draft lottery odds as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 season. They are guaranteed to pick no lower than sixth in the 2017 draft.

Foley will now begin the process of building a front office with the expansion draft set to take place over June 20 and 21, 2017. The roster they will assemble will feature at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders and a total of 30 players, one from each NHL team.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well it's begun.
          Not a good start for the Hawks but it usually takes a bit for them to jell due to massive roster changes forced by the salary cap.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oops!

Drake Caggiula of the Edmonton Oilers harasses Patrik Laine #29 of the Winnipeg Jets on December 11, 2016 at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Winnipeg Jets sniper Patrik Laine fired a shot into his own goal in his team’s 3-2 loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Sunday. In the third period, after Oilers forward Mark Letestu took a shot on Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck while entering the zone, Laine blasted the puck past the netminder who was clearly not ready to make the save on his teammate.

Comment

Poor kid. He's 18. Here's the direct vid:

That's the Jets' second loss by own-goal this season!
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It must be the small screen because it looks like it was intentional.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I saw it on TV and it does look intentional.

Comment

Hawks fire asst. coach Mike Kitchen yesterday (who is a really good friend of Coach Q) and also the coach of their minor league team who was critical of some of their in-season moves. Power play in the front office? That was my first thought when I heard about Kitchen. Q was reportedly very upset with the move and I'm pretty sure they had tried to do this a few years ago but he won the battle. I hope they aren't thinking of trying to force him out. He is still the best coach out there. The real problem is the large contracts and the salary cap. Bowman will have to make some hard choices.

Comment

CSN Chicago was reporting that Marion Hossa may have played his last game. The report is that he has an allergy to the equipment, for which he has been taking medication, but they are worried about the effects of that medication on him. Lousy news for him and Hawks if this is true.

Update: Sitting out this season and will see from there.
                      Last edited by Demonbinder; June 21, 2017, 17:49.

Comment

That was sad to read. Hoping the best for him.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just saw this in the paper today. I'm sure his wife wants to kill him.

They were the hottest tickets in Nashville Predators history: The 2017 Stanley Cup Final, against the Pittsburgh Penguins, the first time the franchise had ever played for the NHL’s Holy Grail.

For a seat inside Bridgestone Arena, the prices on the secondary market were extraordinary: Game 3, for example, had a cheapest-priced ticket of around $1,100. It was actually cheaper for a Predators fan to fly to Pittsburgh, book a hotel and scalp a ticket for Game 2.

So Predators fans did whatever they could to gain entrance to these historic games, from calling in favors to participating in a random contests to win free Stanley Cup Final tickets.

Andrew Fudge of Clarksville, Tenn., was one of the lucky ones. He won tickets to Game 6 through a social contest sponsored by the team.

One small problem: He didn’t realize he won the contest until five weeks after the Stanley Cup Final ended.

The Predators’ note of congratulations and instructions on how to pick up his tickets lingered in his Twitter direct message inbox until Fudge discovered it on Monday morning.

“I died inside,” he said.

Fudge has been a Predators fan since the expansion team was born, and became a die hard one over the last 10 years. But he only way he was going to brave the “ridiculous crowds” that had assembled around Bridgestone Arena for playoff games was if he could actually attend the games, which wasn’t really economically feasible.

“There was no chance in hell I was going to be able to pay to go to a game,” he said.

So Fudge decided to enter a contest presented by the Predators, tweeting a photo of himself from a Twice Daily gas station. He tried it for Game 4, and then again for Game 6 “as a Hail Mary,” he said.

Fudge admittedly isn’t the most active user on Twitter, with 1,723 tweets since Feb. 2009. So he entered the Predators contest, and never logged back on to see that the Predators had slid into his DMs with Stanley Cup Final tickets. He watched Game 6 inside his house.

He said he wasn’t sure why he decided to hop on Twitter on the morning of July 17, but he did. And then he checked his messages.

“I thought it was some spam junk saying I won something,” he said, “and then I realized what it was.”

How did it feel to see he had won Stanley Cup Final tickets to a game that was completed five weeks ago?

“It’s gut wrenching,” he said.
                          His screenshot of the Predators’ DM went viral, the unfortunate reality of an epic personal fail in the social media age. But Fudge is hoping that, perhaps, some good comes from it – maybe even some tickets from the Predators.

“I’m hoping maybe there could be something. I have a wife that’s pissed at me and a 2-year-old son and a 7-month-old daughter who will hold it over my head forever when they realize what happened,” he said. “But if not, I accept my misfortune and the fact that I dropped the ball … big time.”

Hopefully if the Predators make another Stanley Cup run, Fudge will try his luck again – and turn on his DM notifications.
                          Yeah, I doubt the Predators are going to feel very sympathetic.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

Working...
                            X