No announcement yet.

NFL 2018 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't think of a single reason he should take a one-year deal.
    If he has his normal year (missing 4+ games), his price will drop significantly next year.
    Alshon's agent is some kind of idiot.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• But, if has a great year and actually plays in every game, he could get that HUGE contract. Rumor has it that NOBODY was willing to offer him that huge contract that he and his agent thought he was worth this year, and this was the best he could do. I don't think they were idiots... they were just desperate.

Kind of like the Bears. Listening to the talking heads on local sports radio, they were trying to justify the Bears lousy QB decision by saying things like it's really not that bad of a contract... only 14 mil a year which isn't bad... it's only 19 mil of guaranteed money... blah blah blah... and that he is probably just a place holder/mentor for whomever they draft this year (assuming they actually draft a QB, unlike last year)

But the national sports press is just raking the Bears over the coals... Even for those that agree that this is just a short term "fix"... they all say how desperate the Bears look... If they had wanted to sign him, why do it on the first day? NOBODY else was really showing any interest... And even though it is only 19 mil guaranteed, the Bears were bidding only against themselves. They could have gotten him for much cheaper if they has just waited and made some noise about considering other QB's. Instead, they pretty much told him that he was their man from the start.
      What a bunch of morons.

I've been reviewing all the normal "Top Ten Teams that have helped themselves" stories, and none of them are mentioning the Bears. No surprise there
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Given your characterization of "bunch of morons" for the Bears not waiting, I'll stick with "idiot" for Alshon and his agent. Jeffery was clearly the best free agent WR. With DeSean, Stills, and Marshall all signed, he would have been the belle of the ball. Alshon is 27 and still in his prime. If they were desperate, they should have waited more than a few hours. Somebody would have come calling.

Re Glennon, reports are that the 4 other teams looking at him dropped out when the bidding hit $10mill and Bears jumped in at $14-15. And while they did overpay, it turns out $16 of that $18.5 million guarantee is in year one, and only $3mill is a signing bonus, so they can cut him anytime after the first year with almost no dead money. (So at least somebody is doing their job in Halas Hall...) That also tells us they are drafting a QB, and probably fairly early.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Another early retirement...

Ex-Dolphins and Browns TE Jordan Cameron announced his retirement from football.
          An athletic marvel who played basketball at USC, Cameron exploded for 80 catches, 917 yards, and seven touchdowns in his third NFL season. Since then, injuries including several concussions have derailed his production.

Comment

• Bears reportedly signed CB Prince Amukamara who had zero picks and six passes defended. Really?

Comment

• That just tells me that they're drafting one with their first pick. The goal seemed to be either get a premier one as a FA and then draft a middle tier one in 3-5 round or get a middle tier one in FA and pick a premier one in the 1-2 round. So my prediciton is
              fist round. CB,
              second round, best QB that falls to that pick.
              third round best defensive player left.
              fourth round best wide out on the board.

Feel free to post you own predictions so we can all laugh at our own. (I would say additional FA signings/trades might impact my predictions, but no one wants to be a bear so they're probably reasonably done there except for other marginal players.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I would agree with that (hoping one of the top three QB's fall to them in second or low in first so they can trade up) though they also need to find a TE so that may be in fourth round. But still lots of time left in FA and they still have lots of cap space.

Comment

• Didn't they just sigh a FA TE?
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Yes, Dion Sims. Seems like another player that they hope will develop.

Checkout the latest stats for Dion Sims. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      Given your characterization of "bunch of morons" for the Bears not waiting, I'll stick with "idiot" for Alshon and his agent. Jeffery was clearly the best free agent WR. With DeSean, Stills, and Marshall all signed, he would have been the belle of the ball. Alshon is 27 and still in his prime. If they were desperate, they should have waited more than a few hours. Somebody would have come calling.
                      The "experts" were saying that nobody was even close to offering Alshon the kind of money and length of contract that they were looking for. There were just too many question marks, so the big contract he was looking for simply wasn't there. Nobody was calling.....

Re Glennon, reports are that the 4 other teams looking at him dropped out when the bidding hit $10mill and Bears jumped in at $14-15. And while they did overpay, it turns out $16 of that $18.5 million guarantee is in year one, and only $3mill is a signing bonus, so they can cut him anytime after the first year with almost no dead money. (So at least somebody is doing their job in Halas Hall...) That also tells us they are drafting a QB, and probably fairly early.
                      That was my whole point, they over paid big time for him. There is a big difference between 10 and 14 mil. Yeah, it's a Bear friendly contract.... but still higher than the guy is worth.
                      And I hope you are right that they will be taking a QB fairly early. My fear is that they see this deal as a way to take a flier on a QB later in the draft, and not early.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• If they like one of the QBs, the Bears should bite the bullet and go for it. Can probably trade down a bit in r1, stay in the top 10, and get their guy.
                        In r2, they're settling for leftovers again - and maybe the top 3 or 4 are gone.

Give the fans a QB hope for the future (yes, I like Watson) and they will be patient for a year or two.

But I don't think they've got the stones to commit. They'll probably start with defense and settle for whatever at qb.

My Plan
                        QB
                        FS/CB
                        DL - LB if Travathan's not healthy
                        WR

My Prediction
                        DL
                        QB
                        DB
                        LB

Comment

• I agree with your "My Prediction", but only if one of the top three QB's falls that far. They seem to be loading up on secondary - they signed Marcus Cooper today.

Comment

• It's very easy for 3 QBs to go in the first, even in a so-so year like this one. That's why they should go all-in on a QB1. Defense is deep this year.

Comment

• 24/7 Sports reports "surprising news" - DeMarcus Ware is retiring. SUPRISING??? After a 12 year career in the NFL playing defense. Not in this day and age.

Comment

• Sad ending closes the book.

Aaron Hernandez kills himself in prison

Aaron Hernandez committed suicide in prison Wednesday morning, the Department of Correction said.

According to a statement from the department, the former New England Patriots star was discovered hanging in his cell at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., at approximately 3:05 a.m.

“Mr. Hernandez was in a single cell in a general population unit,” the statement said. “Mr. Hernandez hanged himself utilizing a bedsheet that he attached to his cell window. Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items.”

State Police are investigating, and his family has been notified.

The statement said Hernandez was transported to UMass Memorial in Leominster, where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m. Wednesday. DOC spokesman Christopher Fallon said Hernandez was not on a sucide watch because there was no indication he was considering harming himself. “If he had made any kind of statement, he would have not been in that unit,’’ Fallon said.

He said investigators are poring over his cell in Unit G-2 but so far have not found anything that resembles a suicide note. The investigation, however, is continuing, he said.
                                Source: Boston Globe

Comment

Working...
                                X