Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite and least favorite sports moments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite and least favorite sports moments.

With the Hawks losing the other day it stimulated a lot of discussions of what is your worst sports memory. The Hawk's loss was nowhere near the worst for me because it was probably one of the best series I've ever witnessed. (except for the last few seconds anyway). And I know they'll be a tough team for years to come, and like they always say, you can't win them all.

So I thought I'd start a thread and let people discribe their favorite and/or least favorite sports memory and provide reasons (if any)

I'll start with my favorite.
    DA BEARS Superbowl win. It was my first real taste of CHICAGO victory. I had to go back to the early 60's for previous Bears Highlights or a Hawks Stanley cup. (back when I around 10) I was in my early 30's and it was about time. And I had just returned from my honeymoon so it was a special happy time in my life.

My next few favorites all consist of MJ and the Bulls.

For my least favorite (and being a Chicago Fan) there are far too many but the chubs 2003 loss to the Marlins in the NLCS ranks at the top. Mainly because it was so close we were starting to taste it. But as infrequent as the feeling comes for Cubs fans, it has always been slapped away quickly. (I blame the botched double play more than Bartman) This one really hurt.

How about you guys. Let's hear some outpourings of joy and grief.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

By far, least favorite would be the Redskins being the 1 in the Dallas Cowboys 1-15 1989 season. I remember being extraordinarily angry at the quality of the tackling and suggested that the cheerleaders and the Hogettes would be superior replacements.

There's no equivalent magnitude favorite, but perhaps the 11-0 start to the 1991 season. That was fun to watch. I think that was the only season where I was able (and willing) to watch every game.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Favourite sporting moment? Watching the Spurs put it all away in 2005.

Second favourite? Watching Dave Winfield shove the ball down the line to drive in the winning run for the Blue Jays.

Least favourite - I would say Messier hoisting up the cup. It's a good thing he was never a Canuck like Keenan was.
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 3, 2014, 18:01.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I was a Mets fan in 1986.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Were you a Mets fan in 1969

Another memorable Cubs season.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was two in 1969.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Favorite:

The New Jersey Devils winning the Stanley Cup in 1995. This was especially sweet after losing to the Rangers in Game 7 in the semis the year before. I remember how amazing Brodeur was in the playoffs and how intense the Eastern Conference semis were against the Flyers. And then no one, and I mean no one aside from Devils fans (and even some of them though, well, that was a decent run and now we're going to lose), gave the Devils a chance. And then the Devils swept the mighty Red Wings and Games 3 and 4 weren't even close. What made it sweeter is that Fox's national hockey commentator was Doc Emrick, who was the Devils' regular season commentator.

Also in 2002, when in the FIFA World Cup, the United States beat Mexico 2-0 in the first elimination game in the Round of 16.

Least Favorite:

Mets losing to the Yankees in the 2000 World Series 4 games to 1. To make it worse, every game was close (within 2 runs).

2006 FIFA World Cup - where the US crashed and burned and went 0-1-2 in the Group Stage (though played really well against Italy).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                I was two in 1969.
                I figured something like that.

I was 15 and it was my FIRST REAL Chubs experience of disappointment. Just the first in a life time of experiences.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Favorite: Bill Wirtz dying

Least favorite: Bill Wirtz being born
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Now that's a unique perspective.

But yeah, Hockey was is deep trouble in Chitown until he passed.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So many emotions in the span of seconds. From Eli dropping back and immediately being subsumed by the blitz then suddenly somehow fighting his way out and running out of the crumbled pocket, then heaving up the ball in one of those, back then, dreaded, breath-stopping 'Noooooo!' Eli moments, the ball flying directly to the waiting Rodney Harrison and somehow David Tyree hauling it in against his helmet. Phew. It was a rollercoaster of emotion that had me leaping out of my seat and heart racing in disbelief for minutes as they showed the replays over and over.
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Still hard to believe that. No scriptwriter or movie director could get away with it; too bizarre and totally unlikely.

'69 Cubs was my first huge sports disappointment, and it will probably always will be the biggest. That was SUCH a good team. Pissed it away. Such a bummer.

'85 Bears was a total high for me. (Watched it with Ming and rah btw...) Hard to believe that feeling can be topped again in a jaded old guy like me.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                          Now that's a unique perspective.

But yeah, Hockey was is deep trouble in Chitown until he passed.
                          He died. They win two Stanley Cups. Coincidence? I think not.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            . (Watched it with Ming and rah btw...)

I didn't realize you guys were friends before Poly.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah we met back in the 70's at the U of I.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X