Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Football Discussion 2014

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    I got Schaub in the 18th round. Vick, as predictably so was massively overrated, injured himself and produced less.
    Who gives a **** about your fantasy team?

Yeah you really did great with Schaub's 8 starts, 10TDs and 14INTs

And actually settings-dependent Vick outperformed Schaub in fantasy last year.

Schaub: 2310yds 10TDs 14INTs 24yd rushing in 10 games
    Vick: 1215yds 5TDs 3INTs 306yd rushing 2rushTD in 7 games

In a 1pt/25yd passing, 4pt/passingTD, 1pt/10yd rushing, 6pt/rushingTD, -1pt/INT league...

Schaub: 120pts/10 games = 12 points/game
    Vick: 107pts/7 games = 15 points/game

The fact that Schaub played more games at a ****ty level isn't a good thing. You could have gotten his production off the waiver wire.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Who gives a **** about your fantasy team?
    It's an objective measure of both player value and perceived player value.

And actually settings-dependent Vick outperformed Schaub in fantasy last year.
    Schaub: 2310yds 10TDs
    Vick: 1215yds 5TDs

Only if you do the usual 'prorated' crap and extend out 7 games to a season. The same shuck and jive you always do.

The winning team in my fantasy football league - the one that won- won because he dumped Vick's ass like a Kardashian.

The fact that Schaub played more games at a ****ty level isn't a good thing. You could have gotten his production off the waiver wire.
    I got him in the 18th round. Meanwhile, Vick went in the 6th.

In terms of value - Schaub was decent value for his round. Sure, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but I didn't spend a high pick. The team that won, would not have won if Vick were playing, and after Vick got benched, he traded up for Foles and won.

Says it all to me, really.

Vick is Massively, massively overrated. Every year, he's the gold standard of overrated. I have sold him many times and never, never, has he failed to bring in more than I paid for him.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

At least Sava doesn't claim that NFL value = fantasy football value
      I look forward to making money off Vick *again!*.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

What kind of league do you play in?

How are you making money off Vick? You said he's overrated yet you're drafting him with the intention of trading him for more later? Wouldn't that by definition mean he's underrated at least during drafts but he does something to warrant someone paying a premium for him after the season starts?
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What kind of league do you play in?
          Poly leagues. In Auction I bought Vick at 25 dollars. Sold him to get Julio Jones, the year Julio dominated.

How are you making money off Vick?
          Same way I did off Antonio Brown. I bought a top-notch underrated Wide receiver of my choice for an overpriced highly valued white elephant.

Everyone laughed at that trade when I made it.

You said he's overrated yet you're drafting him with the intention of trading him for more later?
          Yep. His value changes from the period during the draft to the period after the draft. I got him for 25, people didn't bid me up because there were other QBs available later. I employed the Joncha strategy to deprive my opponents of value at QB in the hopes of exchanging QBs for my choice of underrated WRs.

The perfect way to do this strategy is to bid a reasonable amount on an overpriced white elephant that you know someone is going to want, and then unload after the draft so you can fill a position of need.

Wouldn't that by definition mean he's underrated at least during drafts but he does something to warrant someone paying a premium for him after the season starts?
          It means that his value tends to spike in the weeks between the draft and before week 1. That's when you want to unload him for assets that might not necessarily do well out of the gate, but will payoff during the season. His value during the draft hasn't been too high - because folks tend to bid up other QBs. Rivers was a ridiculous steal last year (he was taken for 1), but I already had Brady, and Manning. I had no need for him.

I have to stress, you do not want to carry Vick into week 1. Before week one everyone has this fantasy of him being an elite two-way monster wh will dominate LBs all year. Then reality hits.

You can't really trade on players that are massively undervalued - because you won't get a good return on them. The best trade bait is players that are over valued even if they are fantastic players. You won't get full value for the trade (because otherwise people would just draft them), but it gives you a chance to pick up quality, underrated assets after the draft.

I'll toss a bid out on a name player if I think the bidding is kinda tepid.

Vick is a centerpiece of this strategy because of people like you who will overpay. Like Shady will be next year, but the problem is that poly leagues are usually willing to go big on RBs, so it's difficult to find value at the position. WRs are too hit and miss, and they aren't considered to be reliable assets. QBs on the other hand...

What I try to do is target a QB with a big name, going for less than superstar price that I think will underperform, that's who I take aim at. I did it with Brady and it paid off, and I did it with Vick, and it paid off. So I'm going to use this strategy next year too.
          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; March 15, 2014, 12:33.

Comment

Speer vs BK is like watching Bum Fights.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I love Ben positioning himself as a FF guru and lecturing us on his brilliance.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You've got the floor JR. Tell us some of your amazing strategies.

Comment

Mike Vick played very well fantasy-wise the first couple games of the 2013 season. Trading him before Week 1 wounded up sub-optimal, Ben.

Week 1: 203yds, 2TDs, 54rushing 1TD = 27 fantasy points
                  Week 2: 428yds 2TD, 34rushing 1TD = 34 fantasy points

Assuming 1pt/25passing, 4pt/passTD, 1pt/10rushing, 6pt/rushTD, -1/INT

Comment

Mike Vick played very well fantasy-wise the first couple games of the 2013 season. Trading him before Week 1 wounded up sub-optimal, Ben.
                    His trade value is cut by half if you wait until week 2.

Remember, anybody who wants Vick knows that he's likely to get injured after week 6.

Comment

Is that real money or fantasy money? Is that real expertise or just fantasy?
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        Is that real money or fantasy money? Is that real expertise or just fantasy?
                        Won me a league, so yeah.

If you think you can beat me, play me sometime.

Comment

Good lord, why'd I bother opening this thread?
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Sorry, should've put a warning in the title... Though perhaps a FF thread in March should be its own warning.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Sorry, should've put a warning in the title... Though perhaps a FF thread in March should be its own warning
                              I'm surprised you didn't title the thread, Michael Vick Fantasy

Comment

Working...
                              X