Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canucks lol

Luongo traded to Florida

Not long ago the Canucks bragged about their goaltending tandem of Luongo and Schneider.
    Now they have Eddy Lack.

Plus a first liner in Alex Burrows who is on pace for 8 points this season, and already an impressive -13.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

FLA now has a former cup winning goaltender, and Luongo?

Why would FLA make that trade? They're not making the playoffs, anyway. Are they getting prospects PLUS luongo for the cap relief?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Sad day. Gillis made a horrible deal.

Are they getting prospects PLUS luongo for the cap relief?
      They are getting cap relief from the Canucks, (about 5, 6 million) total, around 1 million every year for the length of the deal.

They also managed to dump two terrible prospects on the Canucks. Meaning the Canucks lose Luongo and get nothing for him.

The tank is on. I'm not shocked Bobby Lou wanted out given the mood in the locker room. Gillis destroyed this team with a terrible deal for the Twins at 7 million per. As bad as Burr has been (and he's close to historically bad), needing just 7 shots to set the record, the Twins have been worse. The Twins are on pace to be the worst number one forwards the Canucks have had in the history of ever. Yes, even as bad as the team has been in previous years, the Twins are even worse.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks shed something like 30 million this offseason, but it will likely mean buyouts and more cap hits next year. I would like to see if Gillis can't pay Florida all their money for Lou next year rather than the year hit for the deal.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Why would FLA make that trade? They're not making the playoffs, anyway. Are they getting prospects PLUS luongo for the cap relief?
        Your guess as good as mine. Nobody benefitted from this deal. Not the Canucks. Not Florida. Florida gave up some prospects that could help them - they already have Thomas. The Canucks didn't fill a hole and still ended up with the cap hit.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Luongo is the biggest loser goalie in NHL history
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

from deadspin:

Florida traded Luongo for Todd Bertuzzi, whom they traded for Shawn Matthias, who has now been traded for Luongo. Luongo begets Luongo, eight years and $5.3 million AAV later.

now that's how to run a hockey team

no wonder canadians can't win the cup anymore
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Speaking of bad NHL players, why are Ryan Callahan trade talks getting so much play?

I've never seen so much hype over a 20 goal (if he's lucky) scorer.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Usually I don't recognize many of the names being traded this time of year. But this year is different. And there are quite a few goalies moving as well?

Comment

As far as I can tell, all of the goalie movement is micro upgrades - like upgrading a backup to a slightly better/more seasoned backup (DAL), or upgrading a pair of timeshare to a different timeshare. Other than the Luongo move, which is still insanity IMO, none of the goalie moves really mean anything. Trade Halak for Neuvirth? Meh. Trade Ellis for Thomas? Meh.

The Callahan and MSL trade was... sort of sad. I don't pretend to understand why MSL demanded a trade - something about not being on the olympic hockey team I guess - but I would not have traded him. Callahan is a decent player - a two way player much better than Sava suggests - but for a win-now team like TB, not a reasonable trade I don't think to trade a top-10 scorer for him; and it's not like they have a ton of scorers (getting Stamkos back, I guess, but that was already happening).

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                    a two way player much better than Sava suggests
                    His career plus-minus is -2.

During the years he has played with the Rangers, they have scored 102 more goals than have been scored against.

And he's still -2.

Two way player my ass.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So, BK... remind me again why trading Schneider was such a good idea.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Bo Horvat?

Schneider hasn't been appreciably better than Lack.

Also, even as bad as the team is today - it's still nice to take comfort that they still don't suck as much as the Lames.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                          As far as I can tell, all of the goalie movement is micro upgrades - like upgrading a backup to a slightly better/more seasoned backup (DAL), or upgrading a pair of timeshare to a different timeshare. Other than the Luongo move, which is still insanity IMO, none of the goalie moves really mean anything. Trade Halak for Neuvirth? Meh. Trade Ellis for Thomas? Meh.

The Callahan and MSL trade was... sort of sad. I don't pretend to understand why MSL demanded a trade - something about not being on the olympic hockey team I guess - but I would not have traded him. Callahan is a decent player - a two way player much better than Sava suggests - but for a win-now team like TB, not a reasonable trade I don't think to trade a top-10 scorer for him; and it's not like they have a ton of scorers (getting Stamkos back, I guess, but that was already happening).

Miller to St Louis is kind of a big deal.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Not really. Halak and Elliot were a good tandem; Miller is perhaps better, but mostly in his experience as opposed to necessarily winning them more regular season games. Win one more game maybe?

Comment

Agree. Miller and Halak were statistically very similar. That trade was a wash.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X