No announcement yet.

NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stunned. I truly expected them in the winged wheel next season.

Kenny Holland has his work cut out for him, that's for sure. Replacing Hudler with Samuelsson seems a lateral move, at best.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Flubber thinks dumping Bouw is what the Flames need to do in order to turn the corner?

No, they need to trade Iggy.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

A Canuck fan wouldn't understand the concept of a player wanting to stay in one city for his entire career.

Iginla has a no-trade clause and all signs are he doesn't want to move - he has lots of family in the area and has had some family drama recently.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wow, Larry Robinson is a Shark coach.
          If anyone can get more effort from certain underperforming players, it's him.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

A Canuck fan wouldn't understand the concept of a player wanting to stay in one city for his entire career.
            Uh, Trevor Linden?

Iginla might want to stay, but he's past his sell-by date. Good that the Flames are a charitable organization.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              Uh, Trevor Linden?
              Yes, Trevor Linden: the player who stayed with one team his entire career yet played for four teams.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Yes, Trevor Linden: the player who stayed with one team his entire career yet played for four teams.
                Not because he wanted to leave. The only one who wanted him gone was Keenan.

Also, the Steamer ffs.

Comment

Linden is no Iginla in any case. Not even close.

Comment

Linden is no Iginla in any case. Not even close.
                    True that. Linden's the closest thing the Canucks have to a Patron Saint. Iggy's not even the iconic Flame, just a pale imitation of the glory years of McInnis, Neiuwendyck, MacDonald and Vernon.

Calgary used to be dominant.

Comment

Comment

It's really not important, but I just figured out for the first time in my life that Nieuwendyk sounds like "****".
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          Flubber thinks dumping Bouw is what the Flames need to do in order to turn the corner?

No, they need to trade Iggy.
                          Boumeester is a reasonably solid defenceman that plays a LOT of minutes and is an awesomely strong skater. He can be a benefit to any team in the NHL. But he is NOT worth over 6 million a season. He doesn't hit and his lack of offense is well established. He is far too expensive for what you get. So I would not be at all opposed if the Flames traded him and received a reasonable return. THis guy hae NEVER been in the playoffs , is not at all a leader on the team . . . Guys at that level should be.

Iggy has been the heart and sole of the Flames. Four to 6 years ago he would frequently take the team on his back to lead not so great teams to playoff spots they really didn't warrant. Over the last couple of years I have seen a decline. He has still scored his 30 per season but he he wasn't getting that third period goal that wins a a game 2-1. Currently I don't think he is "worth " 7 million but he is still a valuable member of the team . While I understand Asher's point about the player wanting to stay, if I were the Flames I would trade him if he was willing to waive and the offer was attractive, Iggy makes a lot of sense for a team with the cap space that wants to make the push for the cup and on a team with a variety of offensive weapons, he could and likely would flourish. It would be a big change to be on a team where the opposition cannot solely focus their defensive plan on stopping him

IN neither case would I "dump" the player ( that to me implies little in return). BUt the Flames have not been a playoff team and that means changes should be made. This does not necessarily mean Iggy or Bou but there is no way they are off the table in my mind ( again assuming a no trade can get waived). THe Flames have made a number of changes this off-season and players like Cervenka, Wideman and Hudler are not insignificant additions. It would be nice to see a Flames player greatly exceed expectations and now that there is a differenbt manager and pretty much all new coaching staff who knows what will happen

I still predict the Flames as a non-playoff team in a very tough West but they could surprise. It would take another stellar Kipper season along with a number of players having excellent seasons includeing Baerchi emerging as a top 6 guy and Backlund showing he is top 6 calibre
                          Last edited by Flubber; July 13, 2012, 12:27.
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Interesting info about Bouwmeester.

His teams tend to score more and be scored on less when he is not on the ice. Doesn't sound like a player you want to have in your top 4 D.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              Interesting info about Bouwmeester.

His teams tend to score more and be scored on less when he is not on the ice. Doesn't sound like a player you want to have in your top 4 D.
                              Source? I am not disbelieving it for a second but I was curious to look at the data and see how wide the spread is. Bou himself rarely looks misplaced or gets beat but often sags back and plays so passivley that stats of that type would not surprise me
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

behindthenet.ca

They have On/Off Ice +-

Every year that they have stats for, JayBo does not show well for a player of his prominence. A single year can be a blip, but this is the story of his career. Also see the TSN clip of Mike Peca's comments on him.

Code:
                                2011-12 Calgary D
                                                 GP  GFon/60 GFoff/60 GAon/60 GAoff/60
                                T.J.BRODIE       54   2.40    2.08     2.02    2.68
                                ANTON BABCHUK    32   2.08    2.07     1.76    2.57
                                CORY SARICH      62   1.78    2.24     1.78    2.51
                                MARK GIORDANO    61   2.42    1.85     2.42    2.13
                                CHRIS BUTLER     68   2.34    1.93     2.53    2.36
                                DEREK SMITH      47   2.00    2.26     2.27    2.37
                                SCOTT HANNAN     78   2.34    2.01     2.94    2.21
                                JAY BOUWMEESTER  82   1.89    2.28     2.50    2.36

JAY BOUWMEESTER
                                         Team GFon/60 GFoff/60 GAon/60 GAoff/60
                                2011-12   CGY  1.89    2.28     2.50    2.36
                                2010-11   CGY  2.41    2.64     2.53    2.41
                                2009-10   CGY  1.99    2.35     2.31    2.13
                                2008-09   FLA  2.36    2.61     2.44    2.35
                                2007-08   FLA  2.54    2.08     2.58    2.14
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X