NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
    And curse that player with a season ending injury? I weep for that player.
    If it was last year I would agree. I'm hoping that the new admin will do better. WR in FA and OL in draft.

Comment

Holy crap! News is coming out today that when Gregg Williams was D.C. for the Saints, had a bounty program on other teams' players.

From Adam Schefter:
      NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program. Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline. NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches. Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices." (pieced together tweets)
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think that calls for a season long suspension for the players and a lifetime ban for Gregg Williams...Send a message that that won't be tolerated.
        "

Comment

The Eagles did this under Buddy Ryan. Why is this a problem now?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The world has evolved since those days. It is not tolerated anymore.

Just because the Eagles & Buddy Ryan were scumbags who paid players to hurt opposing players that doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I'm opposed to intentionally injuring players and rewarding players for doing so, obviously, but I wonder how prevalent this is and what took the league so long?

Interestingly enough, Gregg Williams is now the DC of the Rams... under head coach Jeff Fisher. That's going to be one nasty defense.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Depends on how long Williams is suspended. If the Rams don't fire him, of course.

Comment

Farrior joins Ward at the soup line.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Williams was DC at Washington before New Orleans.

This is going to be wide-ranging and nasty. Goodell is on a crusade for player safety, and this is just the excuse he needs to drive home his point.

Williams has basically admitted it went on. He will certainly be heavily suspended, and may be out of the league for life.
                    Saints? Looks like the GM and Coach Payton were aware. If so, the punishment could be as big as the Patriots spygate.

opcorn:
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The fallout from spygate was 750K in fines and a forfieted 1st round pick. Only the draft pick really matters. Less than a million bucks is peanuts to a team.

Comment

Yeah the Pats got off lightly from spygate.

Where else this could be problematic for the Saints is in resigning Brees, Colston, and G Carl Nicks. I think this gives those guys a little leverage, at least in public perception.

Comment

Saints don't have a 2012 first-rounder. There's now chatter of a more "creative" punishment from the league -- like reducing their salary cap number. Which could be really painful while trying to retain Brees, Colston, et al.
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The franchise tags are coming fast and furious this year. We already have 11, and deadline's not until Monday...

QB - Drew Brees, NO (opens door for both Colston and OG Carl Nicks to leave)

RB - Ray Rice, BAL (RBs are way cheaper to franchise than WRs, and easier to replace. Expect more.)
                            RB - Matt Forte, CHI

WR - DeSean Jackson, PHI (Iggles weighing diva attitude vs talent for long-term deal.)

TE - Fred Davis, WAS

DE - Calais Campbell, ARI

CB - Brent Grimes, ATL

S - Tyvon Branch, OAK (I believe this means Oakland is officially out of cap space. Michael Bush will walk.)
                            S - Dashon Goldson, SF (Safeties are cheap to franchise and are reasonably repleaceable.)

K - Phil Dawson, CLE (Weird decision, as Dawson is 37 and didn't have a great year.)
                            K - Mike Nugent, CIN (Kickers are like safeties, only way cheaper.)

No LBs or O-linemen yet.

Possible additions to the list:

RB Marshawn Lynch, SEA
                            RB Arian Foster, TEX
                            WR Dwayne Bowe, KC
                            WR Wes Welker, NE
                            WR Stevie Johnson, BUF
                            WR Vincent Jackson, SD
                            DE Cliff Avril, DET
                            LB Anthony Spencer, DAL
                            NT Sione Pouha, NYJ
                            DB Cortland Finnegan, TEN
                            K Matt Prater, DEN

Comment

What happened to the franchise tag existing to allow teams to keep superstar talent (FRANCHISE players)? What are kickers doing getting franchised?

Comment

You have to remember that a majority of these franchise tags will never happen for real. It's a placeholder for contract talks more than anything.

That said, the Dawson tagging is kind of stupid. He's 37, had a mediocre year, and doesn't produce touchbacks on kickoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X