NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah View Post
    And what would the bears have to give up for that? They currently have more extra money to burn than extra talent. SO FA or the Draft makes more sense for them.
    I'm not saying it's happening. I was just teasing.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Brad Biggs (the Trib beat writer) said the other day he thought it would be better to get a WR in the draft rather than get one in free agencies. His reasoning was WR's are connected to QB and home field conditions so moving to another team means getting in sync with the new QB and the field. So someone like Colston who has played with Drew Brees and has much better home numbers than away wouldn't necessarily work well in Chicago with Cutler.

I'm not sure if I agree with that argument though I do think it's a good point at least about outdoor vs. indoor and playing surface.

Comment

Not buying it. I didn't see Brandon Marshall failing because he switched fields and QBs.
        Randy Moss and TO have both excelled across a wide range of cities.
        Etc.
        Etc.

In my view, the Bears need both -- instant, high-profile, experienced help via free agency, PLUS a high draft pick or two.

Of course, I feel the same way about the O-line. The Bears need a lot of things on offense, so who knows what will happen. It just seems like when you've mortgaged the franchise to get Cutler and 3 yrs later your best WR is Earl Bennett -- plus you've got a major injury to Knox -- you need to keep stacking WRs until you find a couple who can play.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

That 1st rounder for Cutler could have been used on Nicks, Britt, Harvin, or Maclin.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Considering the lack of success with 1st rounders with the past GM, I'm sure we would have passed on anybody that was good

With all the excellent Free Agent WR talent out there, I hope they go out and get a good one. Use their early picks to get some offensive line help, and then take a flyer on some WR's and maybe a TE in the middle to late rounds.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              That 1st rounder for Cutler could have been used on Nicks, Britt, Harvin, or Maclin.
              What is this, the 25th time you've mentioned that? How many times do we have to remind you: GM Jerry Angelo could never draft a decent first-rounder. It actually made a lot more sense to use those pics to trade for a known quantity. Angelo would probably have taken Brian Robiskie.

Let it go.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I think the Bears should take an OL with their number 1.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                  Angelo would probably have taken Brian Robiskie.

I was going to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    That would be fine by me.

Comment

Looks like Mike Wallace is going to be a restricted FA, and not franchised. Wallace, I think, would be an excellent fit for Cutler. Not only that, but he is a proven vet, but still young enough to be productive for years. I normally wouldn't mind giving up a #1 (the 19th overall this year), but the Bears need SO much help at so many other positions (O-line, DB, DL, S, TE... a back up QB is obviously a need and the LBs are getting old... probably easier to just say what they don't need).
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

The Steelers will do whatever it takes to match any offer and retain Wallace. Anyone making him an offer will simply be doing Pittsburgh's negotiating for them.

Much as I would love to see Wallace in Chicago, it's never going to happen.

Comment

Nah the Steelers let Hines Ward go. They have every intention of keeping Mike Wallace. They're not going to trot Antonio Brown out there by himself.

Comment

A man can dream guys.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                              A man can dream guys.
                              Get ready for Braylon Edwards and Legedu Naanee

The Steelers released Chris Kemoeatu, by the way. They're clearing room to match an offer that Mike Wallace would get.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                                And curse that player with a season ending injury? I weep for that player.

Comment

Working...
                                X