No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. RGIII blew out his knee. I and most people think that that will be typical of him. He's going to have a very bright star, but it will burn out much quicker than Luck's.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• I contend that peak RG III < Peak Luck.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        So here's my question - given that we have just a single season to go on, if one sincerely believes that RGIII was the better quarterback this year, wouldn't that translate to having a better career overall?
        No, because any player in the NFL is one unlucky play or one missed block from having their career end. Ask Joe Theisman or Darryl Stingley or Johnny Knox, or others. Offensive players in particular are also dependent on both the offense as a whole and the quality of HC/OC. There's no way with any player you can project career performance off a rookie season, unless the player just plain sucks.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Which exactly goes to Ben's point. Over a career, Luck is likely to be better. RGIII may get crippled.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Ben's point is that Luck should be RotY. He's just morphed into something else when he got tired of having the floor wiped with him.

I don't see how you can argue which of the two QBs will have the better career. That's the future. If you think you can tell the future, go to Las Vegas right now. Otherwise, how about actually _watching the games and finding out_ rather than having a pointless argument? Yes, Luck might be better. RG3 also might be better. Maybe RG3 morphs into a Steve Young type QB - throw first second and third, but run when it's there - and ends up with five superbowl rings and an line of Adidas'. Or maybe Luck has eighteen concussions next year. Or maybe the reverse. Who knows? Who cares? They're both very good rookie QBs who each have the potential to be superstars. Unless you're a racist bigot, I don't think you can say either of these two is not a potential great QB at this point.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• When asked about Devin Hester, Phil Emery (Bears GM) said, "Right now, he is back," Emery said. "He'll go out there and compete to be our returner. What he does from beyond there will be determined how he does in that first role as a returner."

Yep, it's about time the WR experiment ended.

Comment

• Hey Guy:

Reggie Bush's days with the Miami Dolphins appear numbered, but he might find one potential suitor in the Detroit Lions. It was reported Tuesday that Detroit's interest in the running back is "real."

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• If he doesn't get much interest from teams able to pay him the big $$, that seems like a good fit. But overall the Lions have way more problems than just a RB.

Comment

• Looks like Steven Jackson is invoking his voidable year clause and will test the open market.
                    Rumored fit: Atlanta, assuming they cut Turner.

Lots of free agent RBs this year: SJax, Reggie Bush, Ahmad Bradshaw, Shonn Greene, Felix Jones and Cedric Benson -- plus maybe Turner.
                    The fun begins March 12.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                      When asked about Devin Hester, Phil Emery (Bears GM) said, "Right now, he is back," Emery said. "He'll go out there and compete to be our returner. What he does from beyond there will be determined how he does in that first role as a returner."

Yep, it's about time the WR experiment ended.
                      Just cut him. Addition by subtraction.

I'm sure the Bears can find another returner in the draft who can run backwards for a loss of ten on punts.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Interesting stuff: Looks like the 49ers have dealt Alex Smith to the Chiefs for a 2nd rounder this year and a mid-round pick the year after:

The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs, league sources confirmed to ESPN.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I read a pair of 2nds, but either way they got a good deal on him. He's what, 90% of a Jay Cutler? Jay was 2 1sts, 1 3rd, and an at least replacement level starting QB with a very low salary. Smith is not exactly cheap ($7.5MM base salary each year for 2 years), but that's not super expensive either (it's roughly in line with Cutler's salary at the time) and no guaranteed money owed by the Chiefs. Sigh. I like Jay, but we gave up an _awful_ lot for him =/

Comment

• The Chiefs overpaid. The only other bidder was Arizona, and SF was unlikely to deal him within their own division. (I'm not saying Smith isn't worth the price -- just that I didn't see SF as having all that much leverage, being on the hook for the salary and really needing to unload him.)

49ers get richer... could be the next NFC dynasty.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Next up: Jamarcus Webb caught on possession of cannabis. Oops...

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                                The Chiefs overpaid. The only other bidder was Arizona, and SF was unlikely to deal him within their own division. (I'm not saying Smith isn't worth the price -- just that I didn't see SF as having all that much leverage, being on the hook for the salary and really needing to unload him.)

49ers get richer... could be the next NFC dynasty.
                                Not sure I get how a second and a future conditional pick (possibly as high as a second?) is overpaying for a good QB. I suppose you might disagree with the 'good' there, but I'd give Andy Reid credit for competence at identifying good QBs (and/or getting the most out of mediocre QBs). If the 49ers released him, the Chiefs would've had to bid against various other teams - AZ, Buffalo, Minnesota, who knows? Not only might they have lost out, but they might've had to pay a larger salary for him. He signed an $8m/yr extension without the FA market, and after a weaker season than his past season - sounds like he'd make more on the open market.

I can't overstate the value of a competent QB to a team. Not only his on the field competence, but the fact that you don't have to keep drafting QBs, meaning you can draft other positions of need, and you don't have to adjust your system regularly.

Comment

Working...
                                X