NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    That should be it for Tebow's career as a QB in the NFL.
    Jacksonville was his last hope.
    Maybe as a QB.

I would still expect Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichick to be feeling out the situation with Tebow's people. You got to think Belichick would love the opportunity to do something with him and Josh McDaniels thought enough of him to take him in the first round. New England makes a lot of sense; no one clamoring for Tebow when you have Brady.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Maybe it would have worked when he came into the league, but I don't really think he's an upgrade over Gronk and Hernandez at this point...
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• It's Belichick's M.O. to try guys out. Look at him bringing in Derrick Mason and Chad Johnson, among others, just to see what they got in them. Of all coaches in the league, Belichick is the main one who wants to see what a guy can do.

Alternatively, it would make sense (but it won't happen) for Tebow to be Vick's backup in Philly or wherever Vick goes. Don't have to change the lefty-oriented and mobile gameplan.

It's crazy to me because even if we were to dismiss Tebow as a one year wonder, almost all other one year wonder QB's that I can think of got starting jobs the next year. John Skelton was the starter to start this season; Ryan Fitzpatrick has been the starter ever since his campaign; Derek Anderson followed up his 2008 Pro Bowl performance with being the starter to start the next year; the litany is long and nothing new. Danny Kanell leveraged a one year wonder campaign with another season as a starter. There are occasional exceptions but the reasons are obvious (TJ Yates was not going to unseat Matt Schaub; Damon Huard was already 34 and nearing retirement)

All those guys got the opportunity to fail and prove that they were one year wonders. Tebow never did get the chance to prove he's overrated, so to speak. We're left with his last start being a playoff game, which itself is bizarre. How often do you see starting QB's in the playoffs not even given starting consideration the next year on some team?

Tebow really is not rosterable in a league where Brady Quinn and Ryan Lindley got starts, let alone were rostered (and they were far worse than Tebow, no matter what you say about their mechanics vs. his; Wins and stats bear this out very clearly)? Really?

9-7 as a starter, including a playoff victory.

He accounted for 3639 yards of offense in his 16 starts, an average of 227 yards per game.

Including playoffs, he has accounted for 32 touchdowns with only 7 interceptions! (2012 Tom Brady: 34TDs, 8INTs) (*some of these touchdowns were coming off the bench in non-starts)

4.7% of his pass attempts are touchdown scores (same as Eli Manning's career average)

2.5% of his pass attempts are picked off (same as Matt Schaub's career average)

His 6.7 yards per attempt is low but expected of a young QB (Andy Dalton: 6.8 y/a)

He has 6 4th quarter comebacks and 7 game winning drives!

A superb scrambler, he averages 5.0 yards per scramble.

And no one wants this QB on their team?
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 11, 2013, 22:21.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I agree with your point Al B Sure...now how about a list of teams he could go to?

I'll give you New England, or any other team with an established #1 Quarterback (I can't imagine the fans in New England ever shouting "Tebow....Tebow...Tebow" during a game, no manner how badly Brady was playing...Brady does have bad games doesn't he?). Green Bay maybe?

I don't think she should go to a team without a clear established #1 (Orton in Denver, Sanchez in New York) as I think it puts them all in an untennable position.

So if he doesn't go to a team with a clear #1, I would think he only other option is going to a team where he starts...and I can't imagine the team who plans their season with Tebow as a starter (though I would be interested in seeing how it turned out).

In short, I agree with you...but I don't see where it goes from here.
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• I wish the Cowboys would sign him and utilize him at various positions.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Nobody wants tebow because he's a ****ing headache.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                I wish the Cowboys would sign him and utilize him at various positions.
                Take Romo out every 4th quarter and put in Tebow?

Comment

• It's mind-boggling to me that the Jags don't want him. What's the worst that could happen? They went 2-14 this year.

It's amazing that Blaine Gabbert and his 5-19 record as a starter is given more of the benefit of the doubt than someone who beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

Wut?

How many QB's in NFL history won a playoff game and didn't start again?

Seriously. I'm not sure it has ever happened.

Okay, TJ Yates but he was a rookie and he at least earned a legit backup spot behind Schaub, which is more than Tebow got.
                  Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 12, 2013, 02:36.

Comment

• I'm shocked that Jacksonville isn't interested. He's an athlete and he'll do anything that you ask of him. Whatever the **** position that you want to call him;
                    and no, not just on 4th down.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• The whole situation is bizarre. Jets players were criticizing Tebow mid-season. Have you ever heard of players criticizing a backup QB to the media? I mean do you really see players criticizing each other to the media to begin with, let alone a backup?

Look at Merrill Hoge's antics.

Tebow makes people go completely insane with hatred. It's mind-boggling.

As for his usage, Sloww, former Jets Special Teams coach Mike Westhoff had this to say:

"It was a mess, it was an absolute mess. You can say whatever else you want, it was really a mess," Westhoff told host Joe Rose. "I was very, very disappointed. As an NFL quarterback, he's very limited in some things. And if you throw him right in the middle of a drop-back passing offense, he will look very, very average at best.

"But if you incorporate him in different facets of your offense, I think he can be a factor. That's what I felt we were going to do, but we never did it."

USA TODAY Sports reported this week the Jets initially planned to use Tebow as a traditional tailback in some spots. Westhoff was under the impression that would happen, along with some other responsibilities.

"I was expecting him to line up as, really in a couple of roles," Westhoff told Rose, a former versatile player for the Miami Dolphins. "I'll give you an example: Some of the roles that you played, an H-back, a tight end, then all of a sudden there's Jim Jensen who's an H-back, a tight end, a halfback, a fullback and then he's lined up at quarterback. That's what I was expecting to see and we didn't do it."

Westhoff added: "That was very disappointing why that didn't come about. To be honest, I don't think anyone's really ever answered that question. Why didn't we do it? I honestly don't know. I know we didn't practice it. We didn't practice it in training camp. We were going to unveil it. Well, I'm still waiting for the unveiling. It didn't happen and it's very disappointing."

Comment

• Exactly.

Comment

• I think that's part of what was so bizarre about the NYJ's trading for him. I think they would have had a better chance of making the playoffs if they hadn't traded for him if they weren't going to use him because he ended out being a distraction....to Ryan, Sanchez, and basically the entire team. But I think they would have had a better chance of making the playoffs if they did use him (for any number of roles). It seems they chose the worst possible option (to acquire him and not to play him)...and that I think is inexcusable (though I admit I have the benefit of hindsight).

It's also part of what will make any other team reluctant to pick him up though....do they really need the media spotlight that comes with him?
                          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Deadspin article entitled, "How ESPN ditched journalism and followed Skip Bayless to the bottom: a Tim Tebow story" :

In October, Doug Gottlieb, a radio host and basketball analyst who'd decamped for CBS the previous month after nine years with ESPN, went on The Dan Patrick Show and dropped something of a truth bomb about his time in Bristol:

"Producers were looking to duplicate the success of First Take," according to a Bristol insider. "Given what the ratings were, you would have been an idiot not to talk Tebow. Decisions to talk Tebow were conscious and deliberate."

Comment

• Tebow's proven that he can be a success in the NFL. That book has been written and the issue is settled now. Does he work well under a traditional system? No.

If you compare him with media darling Vick - Vick has 2 playoff wins and Tebow 1. The difference being that Tebow in his 1 chance has made it to the playoffs. How many chances has Vick been given?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                Tebow's proven that he can be a success in the NFL. That book has been written and the issue is settled now. Does he work well under a traditional system? No.

If you compare him with media darling Vick - Vick has 2 playoff wins and Tebow 1. The difference being that Tebow in his 1 chance has made it to the playoffs. How many chances has Vick been given?
                                True look at Tony Romo. Only 1 playoff victory.

Comment

Working...
                                X