Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets/Former Canucks Forward Rick Rypien Found Dead

Jets forward Rypien found dead

Former Vancouver Canucks tough guy Rick Rypien was found dead by a family member on Monday in Crowsnest Pass, Alta.

Rypien, who signed with the Winnipeg Jets in July, had missed most of last season because of a leave of absence from the Canucks for personal issues.

Local RCMP told The Globe and Mail on Monday night that the death was not suspicious.

Undrafted after three years with the Regina Pats, Rypien became a popular member of the Canucks’ fourth line beginning in 2005, racking up 226 penalty minutes in 119 games played over six seasons.

Off the ice, however, he battled depression, and his leave of absence last November was the second he took as a member of the team in the past three seasons.

Rypien was well known in Winnipeg after beginning his pro career there with the Manitoba Moose, the Canucks’ AHL affiliate, and the Jets gave him a chance to re-establish his career there when he was signed a one-year, $700,000 (U.S.) contract as a free agent this summer.

“Everyone that knows me, knows that everything that was happening didn’t reflect me as a person and it’s not like I was doing anything wrong,” Rypien told the Winnipeg Free Press at the time. “I went through a couple of things I had to deal with, I got over it – it took longer than I wanted.

“But just the interest people had in me and the belief people had in me … it means a lot to me. It makes me believe even more in myself. They see something in me as a person that maybe sometimes you don’t see yourself. They point that out and then you believe in yourself more and then hope you reach the potential they see and you see in yourself.”

Rypien, 27, is the second young NHL tough guy to die in the off-season. New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead in May with a mixture of alcohol and oxycodone in his system.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Yeah, he probably deserves his own thread.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

How sad.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

A suicide. Apparently had an extensive history of depression.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Oh no, I was afraid of that. Crap.

Dammit, Rypien.

Regina Pats confirmed Rypien’s girlfriend died in a car accident coming to see him play in junior.
          Well that explains it all. RIP Rypper.
          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 17, 2011, 11:02.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Long standing depression problems and suicides can be triggered by specific events. Cmon Ben, stop being a contradictory ass.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Long standing depression problems and suicides can be triggered by specific events. Cmon Ben, stop being a contradictory ass.
              Where am I being an ass? It all makes sense now.

I know what Rypien was going through. Depression isn't a laughing matter.
              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 17, 2011, 22:42.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I think that many perceived that ben Kenobi is wrong to be making statements that appear sarcastic etc etc.

'

All the media I have read indicates that he had no symptoms of depression until the the death of this girlfriend dies and that he has been battling depression ever since
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  A suicide. Apparently had an extensive history of depression.

ASher, did you ever see anyone state it was a suicide -- all the coverage I saw avoided stating it but it was pretty obvious from the way they wrote spoke-- ie friends were surprised at his death because he appeared to be in a good place etc etc
                  Last edited by Flubber; August 18, 2011, 14:18.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Don't think it was explicitly spelled out because the autopsy wasn't formally done yet.

Comment

Don't think it was explicitly spelled out because the autopsy wasn't formally done yet.
                      Ok--- I wondered since I think the media has typically don't acknowledge suicide much. If an average person jumps off a building they won't report on it at all. For celebreties they seem to aknowledge it without ever saying it.

Comment

Former Leafs enforcer Wade Belak found dead...that's 3 enforcers in one offseason. Wow.

Comment

Former Leafs enforcer Wade Belak found dead...that's 3 enforcers in one offseason. Wow.
                          I wonder if this was accident/illness or if this was another suicide ?

Comment

More at the link.
                            Belak, 35, was found dead Wednesday afternoon in a downtown Toronto condo and hotel. Sources told CBC the death was a suicide, with a source elaborating to The Canadian Press that the longtime NHL player hanged himself.
                            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
                              More at the link.
                              So three enforcers and in one off-season we have one accidental overdose and 2 suicides?? What would have been the time period between the last two such events involving NHLers-- I haven't checked but I am betting its usually years.

Comment

Working...
                              X