Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I'm saying is there's no way he becomes their every down back. He's insurance. A change of pace.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• All I'm saying is that if you look at their skillsets, Jahvid Best isn't really an every down back. I think that's been affirmed from his play and the fact that they drafted Leshure. I was just defending Best to Guy the other week and I do think Best is physically very similar to Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles, but he's so far more prone to injury than Chris Johnson and he hasn't yet learned to run effectively between the tackles. He's a great guy to keep on the field because he's so explosive and does wonders in the receiving game but Best isn't the guy you want if you want to ground and pound the ball. Ronnie Brown fits that bill better, although he, too, has struggled to play full seasons.

Really, neither of them are every down backs, at this point, but Ronnie Brown has an established history of being able to shoulder a heavy workload at least over a few games and he's bigger, stronger, and more capable of grinding out yards up the middle.

I also don't believe that you make a trade like that for mere 'insurance' when your starter just got concussed and he has, except for one game against the Bears, struggled to run the ball (although his receiving ability has made up for it).

For a while there, Jim Schwartz was openly saying Brandon Pettigrew was their team's running game!
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• This is quality depth in anticipation of making the playoffs. My guess is it's a 5th rounder or later, most likely a 6th.

I think Brown's role will be to help run clock when Detroit has a lead, and to handle short yardage duties. Best's role will be essentially unchanged, except that he won't be asked to run into BJ Raji anymore.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I don't see the logic behind the move.

How much value does Ronnie Brown provide over Jerome Harrison?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• From Yahoo: "Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said that Best did not begin to suffer concussion-related symptoms until well after Sunday's game against the 49ers and was available throughout the game, the Detroit News reports."

This seems to be why they got Brown -as insurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Umm... you guys gave up the draft pick.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                I don't see the logic behind the move.

How much value does Ronnie Brown provide over Jerome Harrison?
                Jerome Harrison is not a ground and pound guy. Ronnie Brown used to be and may still be.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Rex.

Redskins to start QB Beck over Grossman
                  Ponder takes over as Vikings QB
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• The cult of tebow is creepy. He was the fourth best QB in Broncos camp. John Fox is a veteran coach who is probably sick to death of that creepy cult. Now he's forced to start tebow just to placate those mopes. Just get it over with so the world can see brady quinn is better and should be playing.

not that anyone gives a **** about broncos football anyways
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      So you would take Ronnie Brown over Best?
                      The Bears game was Best's first 100 yard game. It took him playing the Bears to crack 100 yards... with Merriweather trying to launch himself like a missile every which way. PSSSHOOOO... oh you missed another tackle
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Tebow

Comment

• McNabb on benching: "I know I have a lot of football left in me." Yeah, bad football.

Comment

• Didn't he say those exact words verbatim last year?

Comment

• McNabb averaged 15.6/26 for 171 yards per game, throwing 4 TDs to 2 INTs and a QB rating of 82.9.

To be completely fair to McNabb, he hasn't been terrible. That's not a terrible stat-line, it's just very dinky-donky game manager-like, which should have been all that he needed for the Vikings to win games, but an inability to close games out in the second half is why he's getting knocked down.

Comment

• He is in a terrible offense. He has useful no weapons beyond AP. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they have virtually sidelined Percy Harvin, playing him only about 40% of snaps. Not to defend McNabb, whose decline in skills was evident in Washington, but this is an offense without direction. Minnesota's inability to close out games is an indictment of the offensive coordinator more than McNabb. If you can't leverage Adrian Peterson into some serious clock control, you're just freaking clueless.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X