This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EPW View Post
    I can't believe the 49ers are 4-1; don't they have the same team they had last year?
    Yes. And it's not just the magic of Harbaugh.

The 49ers went 6-10 last year but were a very good 6-10 team that lost close games to playoff-bound teams... they lost by 3 to New Orleans, lost by 2 to Atlanta, and lost by 3 to Philly all in the first half of the season... then they lost Gore for the year and their losing record despite good play forced Singletary to play a revolving door at QB between the Smiths and then he was eventually ousted himself.

What we're seeing here is Gore being healthy and the 49ers not losing every close game they get into.

The 49ers started off 0-5 last year and they had so much losing momentum that they couldn't stop. Had their close games gone the other way, they probably would have been playoff-bound.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Surprising. The Broncos are shopping one of their players... and not Kyle Orton!

The Broncos have engaged multiple teams in trade discussions regarding Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, according to a report in the Denver Post.

The report, citing NFL sources, said the Broncos are seeking a third-, fourth- or fifth-round pick for Lloyd. One of the sources told the newspaper that the Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans were among "three or four" teams that have expressed interest.
      Taking a weapon away from Tebow seems like a bad idea, but Lloyd had been open about his preference for Orton during the offseason (although the camera panned to Tebow and Lloyd talking to each other a lot on the sidelines of the San Diego game). While Lloyd could be a great weapon for Newton or Hasselbeck, it seems like the expected opportunity for Lloyd to finally come crashing back to earth, as he always has done in the past on a new team.

If he doesn't fall off a cliff, he would fit the Kenny Britt role nicely but seems out of place as a deep guy opposite Steve Smith, although Cam Newton would likely show no signs of slowing down with another talent to throw to.
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• It would be a smart move for the Broncos. Decker is emerging, Demaryus and Royal are back from injury, and the Broncos are rebuilding. Illini Lloyd is 30; he will never have more value than he does right now.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Orton to Miami would have made a lot of sense (for both teams) by that same logic in the preseason but it didn't happen, though.

Comment

• Nothing says this Lloyd deal will happen, either. The NFL is, by far, the most trade-averse league in U.S. pro sports.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• My slingbox is working again, yay! I can watch the Lions, yay! Very first offensive play for San Francisco they cough up a fumble, yay!
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I get really tired of the Eagles, and others, celebrating first downs.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Philosophical question:

Now, I am in no way, shape, or form, qualified to be a football coach.

HOWEVER, if you are kicking off from the 50 due to a penalty, is there any reason NOT to try a "surprise" onside kick? Worst case scenario, the opposition has the ball at the 40ish instead of the 20; best case scenario, extra possession with a short field for you. Given that "surprise" onside kicks work somewhere around 1/3 of the time (IIRC), why wouldn't you try this?
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• NFL coaches are cowards.

Comment

• Wow. Kurt Coleman, n his first start this year, has picked off Rex Grossman 3 times. That's INT #4. John Beck is warming up on the sidelines.

Comment

• Hey Albert, thanks for picking up Cam. You should have left him alone.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• at Romo.

Comment

• Not a good weekend for Detroit fans.

But its ok, can't expect to win *every* week.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Jim Schwartz was ready to fist-fight Jim Harbaugh. What the ****?

Comment

• Sean Payton has a knee injury.

Comment

Working...
                                X