College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    You mean when the objective measures aren't doing what you subjectively like them to do .

In additon, what's the point of the polls anymore?
    I don't want any part of the selection because I'm not an expert. So who I think is the best is quite immaterial.

The polls just provide a frame of reference but I don't consider them bible or anything.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Polls are for bragging rights!

Comment

• AFAICT, polls are basically there to support banner ads.

There's been plenty written about the particular biases/abuses of both the writers and coaches. I just hope the selection committee has some degree of transparency so we can see those prejudices at work in the selection process.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• So if we can see it, what then?

I mean we can basically see the prejudices of the US Supreme Court, but that doesn't particularly change anything .

Furthermore do you know anything about the NCAA Basketball selection committee?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Many of the polls themselves have built in biases... But again, 4 teams is better than 2 picked solely by computer rankings.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
              I'd rather see the champion determined on the field and not by the computers... LIKE ALL THE OTHER SPORTS!
              The BCS already made sure the champion was determined on the field.

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              Many of the polls themselves have built in biases... But again, 4 teams is better than 2 picked solely by computer rankings.
              The BCS never picked teams solely by computer rankings.

It's amazing how fed up some people (who I assume don't watch much college football) became with a system they didn't even understand, and how happy they are about a new system that introduces new problems while failing to solve most of the actual (rather than imaginary) problems with the old system.
              Last edited by Tupac Shakur; June 27, 2012, 20:26.

Comment

• I think this is better than the previous system.

But weighing 700 pounds is better than weighing 800 pounds.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I think it will be better than the old system in some years, worse in others. Random chance will determine whether it's better over the long-term or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                    The BCS already made sure the champion was determined on the field.
                    Tell that to the teams that weren't invited... at least now, more than two teams will get a shot at it.

The BCS never picked teams solely by computer rankings.
                    I was responding to Imran's line.... "The 2 teams were selected by a formula involving polls and computer rankings. This selection committee apparently doesn't even have to look at that."
                    So if you want to whine at somebody, whine at him.

It's amazing how fed up some people (who I assume don't watch much college football) became with a system they didn't even understand, and how happy they are about a new system that introduces new problems while failing to solve most of the actual (rather than imaginary) problems with the old system.

They seem to imaginary problems only to you... Thank god, most of the experts, people who do follow the sport, and totally understand how ****ed up the old BCS system was, see this as an improvement and a step in the right direction. While it's nowhere near perfect, it beats the hell out of the old way.... and only fools and idiots support the old system.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• How were we supposed to understand the old BCS system when they changed how they calculated the formula every other year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        I think this is better than the previous system.

But weighing 700 pounds is better than weighing 800 pounds.

Well? It is and it is.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          So if we can see it, what then?
                          Perhaps I wasn't clear, so I'll repeat it, louder:

SO WE CAN SEE THOSE PREJUDICES AT WORK IN THE SELECTION PROCESS.
                          Just wanna know, so if the system's being gamed, it's not under cover of darkness.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                            How were we supposed to understand the old BCS system when they changed how they calculated the formula every other year?
                            You should at least have been able to grasp that it was never just computers picking the teams. It takes Ming-level retardation not to understand that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                              Many of the polls themselves have built in biases... But again, 4 teams is better than 2 picked solely by computer rankings.
                              Originally posted by Ming View Post
                              I was responding to Imran's line.... "The 2 teams were selected by a formula involving polls and computer rankings. This selection committee apparently doesn't even have to look at that."
                              Your reading comprehension is incredibly abysmal. How in the WORLD does "2 teams were selected by a formula involving POLLS and computer rankings" (emphasis mine) = "2 picked SOLELY by computer rankings" (Emphasis mine again).

If you are going to argue, at least attempt to seem like you are doing it in good faith.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                                Perhaps I wasn't clear, so I'll repeat it, louder:

Just wanna know, so if the system's being gamed, it's not under cover of darkness.
                                Why? Who cares if it's not going to matter?

I just don't get why anyone would care that we can see "prejudices" and not be able to do anything about them.

Comment

Working...
                                X