No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how long until the first member of the selection committee gets poisoned like the Toomer's Corner oaks? I'm only half-joking when I ask this...

Comment

• There's no way I could hate it as much. As long as first round is played on New Year's day, I'll be thrilled.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Everyone is going to hate this playoff system as much as they hated the BCS, but at least we get to enjoy dumb****s like Andy Staples patting themselves on the back for being "forward thinkers who truly love the game" before that happens.
        Speak for yourself.... ANYTHING would be better than the old BCS system. And while this one isn't what a lot of people wanted and does indeed suck, it sucks FAR less than the old system.
        It's a step in the right direction.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Nothing could possibly go wrong with a "selection committee" deciding the Top 4 teams .
          I figure no worse than just selecting 2 teams. I'm really looking forward to it.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• The 2 teams were selected by a formula involving polls and computer rankings. This selection committee apparently doesn't even have to look at that.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• That's fine by me... granted, we will still get some stupid choices, and god only knows how they will treat an unbeaten team that's not from one of the elite conferences... but at least more than two teams have a shot at it. And that's a step in the right direction.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                The 2 teams were selected by a formula involving polls and computer rankings. This selection committee apparently doesn't even have to look at that.
                No difference in my opinion, since some committee determines the polls and some person programmed how the rankings are calculated.

I figure, with 4 teams, that's two less teams that can ***** about not being included. And it will be hard for people to say the 3rd and 4th team are or are not worthy since they actually get a chance to participate and prove their claim.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Yes, some person programmed the calculations, but it ends up with some objectiveness in the process (rather than this team looked good). We don't even really know who's on the selection commitee, and the only thing I've heard is that its going to be akin to the selection committee for the NCAA basketball tournament (That instills confidence).

I don't like it one bit.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Thank god they weren't doing this to please you.
                    Yes, it's a compromise and no compromise is perfect by definition, but it's the result of a majority of the decision makers that felt something had to be done to fix the current system. AND I like it better. Overall you seem to want to rely too much on dry statistics. They have their place, but they're not the end all that you seem to think. Just my opinion of course and we know what people say about those.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Think about it, they already have a BCS formula system. How hard would it be to just say instead of picking #1 and #2 using the system we're picking #1-#4?

Comment

• I did. I prefer the Human element. As I said, I feel you're too stats oriented.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• The BCS didn't have human elements? I wonder who voted on those polls?

Or, are you saying you'd like a decision to be made entirely by human bias?
                          Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; June 27, 2012, 12:00.

Comment

• I understand that. I just don't necessarily agree with the "FORMULA" as the final arbitrator. It's only as good as it's creators. The human element I'm considering is the ability to overrule the formula when the formula isn't doing what you intended it to do.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• You mean when the objective measures aren't doing what you subjectively like them to do .

In additon, what's the point of the polls anymore?

Comment

• I'd rather see the champion determined on the field and not by the computers... LIKE ALL THE OTHER SPORTS!
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X