No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my search for links to basic facts that Ming is apparently unaware of, I came across an interesting interview with former SEC commissioner Roy Kramer that makes a lot of the same points I've been making. It's worth a read.

Now 10 years removed from his post at the SEC, Kramer has two words for his former colleagues: "Be careful."

"I always believed there would be changes down the road after we started the BCS," said Kramer, who retired in 2002 and was replaced by Mike Slive. "Change is inevitable. But the truth is, your options are more limited than most people think.

"If you say you want to move into another phase, another round [of the BCS], then how do you get there and maintain the regular season? This much everyone can agree on: at the end of the day, protecting the regular season is paramount."

Kramer understands the desire by fans and media to have a more definitive and less controversial ending to the college football season.

"But you have to be very careful in your desire to improve the postseason that you don't hurt what the game is all about," he said. "You can complain about the BCS all you want, but at the end of the day it did what it was intended to do. It increased interest in the game. In the BCS era, college football has gone from a regional sport to a national sport."

Kramer sad his caution is based on what has happened to college basketball.

"My criticism of college basketball is that it has become a one-month sport," he said. "You just can't do that to college football. If you do, you break the foundation of college athletics because football finances everything. The donor programs and all the stuff that people don't want to talk about is built around [regular-season] football. That's just the way it is."

Note that even Kramer's preferred playoff solution, while slightly better than just taking the top four teams or the top four conference champions, wouldn't have necessarily prevented last season's LSU/Alabama rematch. A playoff is no solution to postseason controversy.

Comment

• I'd guess that interest in college football increased at about the same rate as NFL football. Hell, interest in high school football has increased during the BCS era. You see HS football on Fox sports now.

Thanks BCS!

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Why is the reading comprehension level on this forum so low? Ming claims the BCS "hurt" college football, I show why that claim is retarded, and then Tubes sarcastically questions whether the BCS spurred interest in college football, a claim no one made...

Comment

• At -Jrabbit's request, I'm moving the discussion of Illinois' great performance in the NFL Draft to this thread. I would be interested to hear why Illini fans think Tim Beckman is going to be more successful than a coach who proved himself capable of recruiting and developing NFL-caliber talent. Hopefully the argument will be better than "anyone would be better than Zook," although I'm not holding my breath on that.

Comment

• I think one can make a pretty strong case that the BCS has hurt the lesser bowls. I know for sure that the BCS turned New Year's Day from football heaven into a bunch of semi-random games that I stopped caring about years ago. This endlessly diffuse array of Wednesday/Thursday Bowls between 6-win teams is tedious, but becoming "bowl eligible" at least provides a a reasonable goal for the regular season that all teams can strive for.

Regarding playoffs: I see the current BCS as a one-game playoff (basically like the NFL did in the pre-super Bowl era). I fail to see how adding another round (or even two) of games damages "the whole season."
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
              At JRabbit's request, I'm moving the discussion of Illinois' great performance in the NFL Draft to this thread. I would be interested to hear why Illini fans think Tim Beckman is going to be more successful than a coach who proved himself capable of recruiting and developing NFL-caliber talent. Hopefully the argument will be better than "anyone would be better than Zook," although I'm not holding my breath on that.
              The stardard for success in college football is wins. That was Zook's failing.

I agree that Zook was an improvement over past coaches at Illinois. But that bar was set pretty low. The fact is, he was fired because of a regime change in the athletic department. Your previous contention, that Illinois should be happy with Zook's 6 wins/year and not strive to win the conference, is an embrace of mediocrity that is antithetical to sporting competition.

Whether Tim Beckman is an improvement is a matter of pure conjecture.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                Regarding playoffs: I see the current BCS as a one-game playoff (basically like the NFL did in the pre-super Bowl era). I fail to see how adding another round (or even two) of games damages "the whole season."
                Re your "the whole season" quote: I did not use the phrase "the whole season" in this thread; that quotation is your mistaken interpretation of the implications of my statements. I wasn't talking about that. Yes, I did imply (and subsequently stated) that the outcomes of some regular season games would be negated by playoff rematches. Which is historically verifiable.

Reading is a skill, -Jrabbit. I just made a simple statement regarding the impact of inevitable playoff rematches on the regular season. That's all.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                  Your previous contention, that Illinois should be happy with Zook's 6 wins/year and not strive to win the conference, is an embrace of mediocrity that is antithetical to sporting competition.
                  I'm pretty sure my contention was that Illinois should be realistic about their appeal to potential coaching candidates and not toss out a flawed but solid coach like Zook unless they had good reason to think they could get someone better. That's not how they ended up approaching the process, and ended up with Tim Beckman.

Comment

• This is the best summation of my position on Zook's firing.

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                    1. You shouldn't fire a coach that just achieved something that your program hasn't achieved in 20 years.

2. You shouldn't fire a coach that you're highly unlikely to replace with a superior coach in the current hiring environment.

It would have been much smarter for Illinois to hold off another year (and maybe get a third consecutive bowl bid!) and consider replacing Zook under better circumstances. They've probably done more damage to an already ****ty program with this hasty and ill-conceived move.

Comment

Why is the reading comprehension level on this forum so low? Ming claims the BCS "hurt" college football, I show why that claim is retarded, and then Tubes sarcastically questions whether the BCS spurred interest in college football, a claim no one made...
                      Your opinion only... MOST experts disagree with you. Sure, find a person or two that you can use, but overall, you are wrong...
                      You are the one that needs reading comprehension skills... you wear blinders, and only read what you agree with while ignoring the rest of the world. That's one of the primary reasons you continue to look like an idiot here.

But feel free to continue to posting out of your ass and using insults...
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                        Your opinion only... MOST experts disagree with you.
                        I provided evidence for my claim. It would be a nice change of pace if you would do the same once in a while...

Comment

Why is the reading comprehension level on this forum so low? Ming claims the BCS "hurt" college football, I show why that claim is retarded, and then Tubes sarcastically questions whether the BCS spurred interest in college football, a claim no one made...
                          If that isn't your claim, then why would it matter if they switched to a playoff?

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re your "the whole season" quote: I did not use the phrase "the whole season" in this thread; that quotation is your mistaken interpretation of the implications of my statements. I wasn't talking about that. Yes, I did imply (and subsequently stated) that the outcomes of some regular season games would be negated by playoff rematches. Which is historically verifiable.

Reading is a skill, -Jrabbit. I just made a simple statement regarding the impact of inevitable playoff rematches on the regular season. That's all.
                            Well played, sir.

Comment

I provided evidence for my claim. It would be a nice change of pace if you would do the same once in a while...
                              Yet once again... PLEASE PROVE how a slightly expanded playoff is going to make the regular season games less meaningful. (now granted, in past posts you have really harped on this point but have since backed off some since it makes you look like a total idiot)
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Michigan

Delany labeled the Big Ten "a conservative conference," and said there are league members who are opposed to a playoff of any kind – specifically mentioning Michigan.

Jim Delany says he would back champs-only playoffs, but with a minimum ranking

Comment

Working...
                                X