College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
    Is Kelly really dumb enough to make that move? He's built a consistently excellent program at Oregon, while the Bucs are a perennial dumpster fire.
    FROM USA TODAY

Oregon football coach Chip Kelly looks to be staying in college football after serious talks with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Register-Guard of Eugene, Ore., reported late Sunday night Kelly decided against a move to the NFL after it seemed he was set on leaving.

ESPN, the Tampa Bay Times, and KGW8, a Portland TV station, previously reported Sunday that Kelly was negotiating a deal with Tampa Bay, citing persons with knowledge of the situation.

The Buccaneers are looking to replace former coach Raheem Morris, who was fired after a 4-12 season on Jan. 2, the same day Kelly's Ducks won the program's first Rose Bowl since 1917.

The Bucs lost their last ten games in 2011 and finished dead last in points allowed (30.9).

Since becoming Oregon's head coach in 2009, Kelly's teams went 34-6, won their conference and reached a BCS game in all three seasons. He was previously an assistant with Columbia, New Hampshire, and Johns Hopkins before becoming Oregon's offensive coordinator in 2007.

Kelly was among the highest-paid college coaches in the country in 2011 with a $2.8 million base salary and the chance to earn up to $1.035 million in bonuses. Morris earned $2 million in salary last season with the Bucs, according to the Times.

So they probably didn't offer him enough money.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• n/m due to Ming's post.

Maybe he was just helping himself out in negotiations for a new contract?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I think I was awakened by the sigh of relief from Eugene this morning.

Kelly's contract isn't up until 2014 I believe, but I don't think he needs any more leverage than he already has. He's as a god to Oregon at this point.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Turns out Bret Bielema is not only a douche, but also a whiner. Urban Meyer

Comment

• This?

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema followed up his signing day shot at Urban Meyer Thursday by asking his athletic director, Barry Alvarez, to have a little chat with Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany during today's athletic director meetings in Chicago about Meyer's "unethical" recruiting tactics at Ohio State. Bielema and coaches from Michigan State took aim at Meyer on Wednesday for violating a "gentleman's agreement" among Big Ten coaches not to pursue recruits already committed to another Big Ten school, standard operating procedure in Meyer's old SEC stomping grounds at Florida. This year, Ohio State flipped eight prospects who were already committed elsewhere after Meyer was hired in late November, including four-star linemen Kyle Dodson and Se'Von Pittman from Wisconsin and Michigan State, respectively, giving the Buckeyes the best overall class in the conference.

"I can tell you this. We at the Big Ten don't want to be like the SEC—in any way, shape or form," Bielema told the Sporting News. "I called Urban and we spoke about it. We talked about it, and he said it would stop and it did. I'll let our commissioner deal with anything else. That's not who we are [in the Big Ten]. We settle things among ourselves as coaches."

Well, until you get the athletic director and commissioner involved. [The Sporting News]
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yes, that.

Comment

• "I can tell you this. We at the Big Ten don't want to be like the SEC—in any way, shape or form."
                I missed the memo where Bielema now speaks for the entire Big 10.

He might want to reconsider that statement in light of the SEC's whole "having talent" and "winning the BCS" thing.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Now the Big 10 is talking about a national championship playoff. From this mornings paper

By Teddy Greenstein, Tribune reporter
                  7:11 p.m. CST, February 6, 2012

The Big Ten is not only ready to listen to proposals regarding a national four-team football playoff, league and school officials are kicking around an intriguing idea.

Sources told the Tribune that a Big Ten plan would remove the top four teams from the BCS bowl pool and have semifinal games played on the college campus of the higher seed. That would do away with the facade of "neutral" sites such as New Orleans, Miami and Pasadena, Calif., and ease travel concern for fans.

The championship game then could be bid out, like the Super Bowl.

The concept of the Big Ten even entertaining playoff proposals seemed laughable as recently as two months ago. But in the wake of a low-rated BCS title game that satisfied few outside the Southeastern Conference footprint, the conference is ready to study and contribute ideas.

"We have to listen to the fans; we cannot be tone-deaf," said Northwestern athletics director Jim Phillips, who chairs the Big Ten's Administrators Council. "The Big Ten is open and curious."

In 2008, the SEC proposed a Plus-One — a more palatable term for a four-team playoff — during BCS discussions, and the ACC supported it. But with the Big Ten, Pac-10, Big 12, Big East and Notre Dame disapproving, the plan never materialized.

"There has been a lot of bantering and rhetoric," Phillips said, "but no one has come up with a formal plan."

BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock said that 50 to 60 BCS bowl/playoff plans were presented the day after the BCS title game in New Orleans, but they apparently lack details. The next college football cycle begins with the 2014 season, and most expect a new system to be approved this fall.

Also on the table: Creating a seven-win requirement for bowl teams, a rule that could torpedo more than a half-dozen money-losing games and end embarrassing contests between schools that dumped their head coaches.

And moving up the BCS title game. Alabama's trouncing of LSU took place Jan. 9, a day after the NFL's wild-card weekend. Fourteen percent of the country tuned in, marking the third-lowest rating in the 14 years of the BCS.

"There is a very strong sense that we have missed the boat and are playing games too late," Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany told the Tribune. "Students are back in class, people are back at work."

Delany would not comment on any potential Big Ten playoff proposal, saying he first needs to take the temperature of university presidents, chancellors and athletic directors.

But he did say: "I think sports fans are conditioned to playoffs. I don't begrudge them that. They're looking for more games, but we're trying to do the right thing.

"It's a matter of coming up with something that does not kill the baby with the bath water. We have a regular season that is vibrant. We have 12 games plus a (conference) championship game — that's a lot of games. We have academic calendars, though that doesn't resonate with many people. But if you're dealing with university presidents, faculty and coaches, you're talking about it."

NU's Phillips said that in evaluating playoff proposals, Big Ten officials would use four criteria:

Is it fair to the student-athletes already suiting up for 12-13 games?

Would it undermine college football's vital regular season?

Would the teams be chosen in a way that reflects competitive fairness?

Can the Rose Bowl be protected?

Will such a low viewership this year be enough to revive the debate to the point of something actually getting done?
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                    "The Big Ten is open and curious."

I wonder how much of the low ratings was the rematch, and how much was it being the first BCS Championship on ESPN.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• The 7 win requirement for Bowls is a great idea! I also do like the 4 team playoff, but I liked the Plus One better.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Yeah the 7 win requirement was what I found quite amusing.

Also on the table: Creating a seven-win requirement for bowl teams, a rule that could torpedo more than a half-dozen money-losing games and end embarrassing contests between schools that dumped their head coaches.
                        Gee, I wonder what embarrassing contest they were referencing.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Unfortunately, I don't get which game you are referencing.

Is it Ohio State and Florida? Because that was a fun game.

Comment

• Illinois-UCLA
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Bingo.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Ok, now can we strip away the Big East's auto BCS bid?

BigEast "football" 2014
                                Boise State
                                Central Florida
                                Cincinnati
                                Connecticut
                                Houston
                                Louisville
                                Memphis
                                Navy
                                Rutgers
                                San Diego State
                                SMU