No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 10/11: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's strange. When one searches team penalty minutes on NHL.com, the league leader is the team with the least PIM, so one would think you could have that as an option with Yahoo. C'est la vie. I'm content with not having PIM.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

In Fantasy, PIM are sort of a historical thing - back in the day they wanted to have a way to quantify people who weren't just pansy ass, err, goal scoring types but actually did the grunt work; and PIM were the only stat that was easily available. Hits not only weren't always as easy to get, but they're incredibly vulnerable to home scorers who either count everything as a hit, or nothing. Asher had some nice posts about, iirc, the LA Kings scorer who was insane. Or maybe the Oilers. Don't recall.

Anyway, that's why positive PIM are a default stat in hockey leagues.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
        Sparrowhawk*

* needs to join league
        Joined....I got the invite and thought I finished registering earlier, but apparently I didn't complete the process.

One caveat for me is that I have gone through several major changes and have limited computer access now until September 30th.....I still will check daily and more often, and am happy to sned a pick list to someone, but just to let you know before I hold up the draft, I am happy to be bpay'd if necessary, or even booted from the league if it's an issue....just don't say I didn't warn you! lol

As of October 1st it should be a non-issue for me (I hope).

/me

Guynemer's discussion of PIM brings up a stat I would love to see the league track (and maybe they do) and that is Power plays goals scored against while any specific player sits in the box or maybe even a power play goals against per penalty. I would like to now which players penalties hurt a team the most, and which players seldom see a goal scored while they watch from the box. I would think a teams top penalty killer would be more likely to see a goal scored against as he is not killing the penalty. Similarly I would think that a team would have more success killing penalties that are "smart" penalties then they would killing off penalties by the stupid idiot that keeps taking penalties for retaliation after the whistle and what not. Anyone know if anything like this is tracked anywhere?
        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Coming late to the PIM discussion but

1. I agree with Guy that PIMs are not necessarily positive but then again the highest PIM guys rarely hurt their team since they usually take offsetting fighting majors. I could never really argue that PIMs are generally "good"
          2. That said I would generally be in support of some "different" stat whether it be hits or blocked shots or PIM. I know scoring is the most important and easily trackable thing etc etc but I would love to have a stat that was completely different for pool purposes. I like the idea of people having to pick between a potential 60 point guy and maybe a 40 poinnter who hits, blocks shots or take penalties.
          3. Part of this is a desire to value d-men more. As it stands, with some very rare exceptions, your dmen will have point totals somewhere near mediocre compared to forwards. I would love it if a stat like hits made some 40 point d-men potential category winners for you
          4. I have had this debate in a couple of the last few years and my recollection was there was never more than marginal support for ANY new stats . A few people were philosophically opposed to rewarding penalty takers and Asher pointed out how slanted the hits category can be by local stats keepers (maybe true for blocked shots too ?). There never has been a stat with even close to majority support.

I'll play whatever. BUt I have always thought that something other than scoring could be used somehow and would be interesting. If we added hits, some folks might ignore it since scoring still dominates the categories BUT there would be another strategic choice.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Blocked shots and hits both share the weakness of being dependent on the building and score keepers.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As are giveaways and takeaways, sadly. Faceoff wins would be okay, but obviously would only apply to forwards.

Sadly, the only other measurable, precise stat is PIM. That's just the nature of hockey.

Comment

Do we need another skater stat?

Swap SHO for GAA and we're good, right?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

We should count up opinion. How about this?

Those in favour of an added skater stat:

Opposed:

Undecided/Don't care:
                  notyoueither

Skater stat to add if we add one:

Those in favour of dropping SHO and adding GAA:

Opposed:

Undecided/Don't care:
                  notyoueither
                  Last edited by notyoueither; September 5, 2010, 18:14.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I've put myself as undecided. I'm flexible.

Make it easier for people to vote.

In favour of adding skater stat: yes/no
                    Skater stat to add if we add one: state
                    In favour of dropping SHO and adding GAA: yes/no
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I'm officially indifferent on both counts.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Adding a goal stat without taking one away would throw the balance of skaters and goal way off. We'd definitely have to add at least two skater stats, IMO.

Please state clearly that you want to add a goal stat without taking one away if you want to do this.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Hmmm

I would REPLACE shutouts with GAA

If we found a skater stat that enough people liked I would then eliminate PPG and PPA in favor of PPP ( I always thought PPG and PPA both was a bit of overkill)-- End result is we retain the 5-3 balance

If we added a stat, I would favor hits as I understand Yahoo now allows this-- While it is subject to some decided variation among buildings, that is a point that CAN be researched and be one more factor in your choice. If for example, you KNOW that LA gives out a ton of the "hit' stat to everyone, maybe you value some LA Kings higher-- Its researchable and non-random--
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'll do whatever, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              I'll do whatever, honestly.
                              me too

I just make the case that something a little different in the mix might be nice-- As it stands we pretty much just pick the best scorer. With a 'different" stat to me it just adds a bit more decision making -- take a guy projected to score 10 less points since he lays on the body a LOT for instance

But either way

Comment

I think the number of stats is fine, just switch GAA with SHO. If a goalie gets a shutout his SV% and GAA will benfit enough.
                                Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Working...
                                X