No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 10/11: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The League is up. Managers from last year should receive invites.

pw is panda, if it asks you.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Anyone seen joncha, Kontiki, or Cavalcadeus since the world changed?

Is Imran interested?

Asher, does woollyleanne want to return? She's welcome IMO.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

She says she's in.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wow. Just wow. They sure went to a lot of work to make the forum look hideous.
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

There is a skin to make it black on white.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

In so far, 8

mrboo123
              Guynemer
              Asher
              Sparrowhawk*
              notyoueither
              Flubber
              woollyleanne*
              joncha

* needs to join league

Interested as an alternate

snoopy369

Any ideas for contacting people since forum notifications are down?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                In so far, 8

mrboo123
                Guynemer
                Asher
                Sparrowhawk*
                notyoueither
                Flubber
                woollyleanne*
                joncha

* needs to join league

snoopy369

Excellent so far. Eight is a viable if smallish league and there is every liklihood we will get a few more. I look forward to it
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Meh, I guess I'm in again.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Good.

Still need sparrowhawk and woollyleanne to join the league. Then we'll be looking for one more to make ten, or three more to make twelve.

I think I'd prefer smaller with more active managers than pushing for more who may not stay active.

Imran has let me know he is OK to join snoopy as an alternate.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

NYE: Got your email, thanks for the invite. Happy birthday.

Been working away from home since april so haven't been on apolyton at all. Lots seems to have changed. I'd love to be in on the league again this year. This is my first year away from school so I'm hoping to get an internet connection at the work house this week. If the draft starts after this weekend I'll probably be in again. Hate to keep anybody waiting, but I won't know my ability to get online till after this week.

Can't wait for puck drop this season. After that damned flyers series I've got big hopes for the Bruins this year. Probably end in disappointment though, the same as usual. At least my senile GM hasn't been trying to remake a western leafs, eh Calgarians. Also I've heard that yahoo added hits and blocked shots to the stats categories if there is interest in adding an unusual skater stat. Maybe increase the value of a d-man little bit.

Comment

Excellent and thank you.

I'm in no hurry to start the draft. The season starts Oct 7. Last year the draft took 8 days. Given the numbers of unsigned players I've been thinking we may may want to start the draft around the 20th.

I see Hits and Blocks. Interesting, but there seems to be little appetite for messing with our formula year after year. PiMs would be an obvious stat to use that we have never had a concensus to add.

In so far, 10

mrboo123
                        Guynemer
                        Asher
                        Sparrowhawk*
                        notyoueither
                        Flubber
                        woollyleanne*
                        joncha
                        Kontiki
                        Cavalcadeus*

* needs to join league

snoopy369
                        Imran
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Only if PiM is a negative, obviously. I'd have no objections to it.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Not so obvious, and not how they work. You win the category by having players with more PiMs.

The idea is that toughness helps win games.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

No. Can't agree. Being a man down all the time helps lose games as much as toughness helps win games.

Top ten teams in PIM last season, with final conference standings rank:

1. Bolts (12)
                              2. Flyers (7T)
                              3. Ducks (11)
                              4. Blues (9T)
                              5. Canucks (3)
                              6. Penguins (3)
                              7. Rangers (9)
                              8. Sharks (1)
                              9. Flames (9T)
                              10. Senators (5)

Half the top ten made the playoffs, half missed. Considering that (just over) half of the NHL makes the playoffs on a yearly basis, that doesn't help your argument that penalty minutes help you win. (Doesn't help my argument either, although I would point out that the only reason the Flyers even made the playoffs was a shootout win in the final game of the season. Without that, the top four teams all would've been nonplayoff squads.)
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

It does not always work, but ever since the Broad Street Bullies there have been various teams who have won it all based in some part on the ability to beat the other team physically, both within the rules and a bit over the line (or a lot).

Even before the Flyers did it, there were players like John Ferguson who were important to the success of their teams by keeping opposing teams from taking liberties with the best players.

The most recent example of ultimate success based partly on the ability to beat them in the alley was the Anaheim Ducks of 06-07.

You're a Red Wings fan. You must be familiar with players like Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay, and how part of their value as players was based on activities that resulted in penalty minutes, no?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X