No announcement yet.

Apolyton Fantasy Football D/ST League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early selections are based on the point differential (ie, RB #1 scores 300 vs RB at next spot, say RB #14, scores 200; that's -100 for not picking a RB, vs QB #1 - QB #8 is 80 and WR #1 - WR #7 is 60; so I pick RB NOTE: NUMBERS ARE MADE UP). That's the main reason you pick one position vs another. You could design a scoring algorithm that made TEs more valuable (high PPR low PPRY), but in fact that's intentionally not done - not only would that give RBs an absurd split, but moreover it means people would want to have lots of backup TEs, meaning, again, random bad TEs are required to be on rosters, which is not only bad for competitive balance [it's bad when you get an injury and you're forced to pick up a truly bad player, because it's not fun; the waiver wire should have reasonable talent on it so one injury doesn't totally screw you] but it's simply uninteresting, because many people play fantasy football in order to be interested by watching games where they follow their players. Forgive me if I don't want to have to pay attention to Joel Dressen or Joey Haynos...

I actually think the TE position being 'low' makes it more strategic, in any event. You have to choose when to take that first TE and break the position open; just like with DEF and K. It doesn't need to be moved 'up', when it's already being broken in the mid third round.

The only real effect of flex TE would be to increase by a few the number of TEs drafted, and increase slightly the average draft position of the TEs. The former change is net negative; the latter is uninteresting. Thus, don't do it.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
      I seriously wonder about your mathematical aptitude. 96 RBs starting? That would require each owner to start SEVEN running backs.

That's what I get for getting hyped and opening my mouth without thinking.

I meant 42, not 96.

42nd RB can start but the 15th TE can't. The 42nd RB barely plays in real life while the 15th TE is an every down starter.
      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 6, 2010, 18:11.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Something else to think about is the fact that there are 32 starting TE's in the league, 32 starting RB's, and 64 starting WR's.

It is retarded that we can only start 14 TE's league-wide when we also can start 64 or even 96 RB's league wide.

The 96th RB in the league can start but the 15th TE can't. What the hell?
        Not only that but depending on draft strategy and the rules of the league, someone might be in a position where they have to draft 2 non starting RBs because they didn't conform to how everyone else is drafting. I don't get why an RB heavy draft strategy should be completely favored over every other strategy especially given how we're a non auction league.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
          Early selections are based on the point differential (ie, RB #1 scores 300 vs RB at next spot, say RB #14, scores 200; that's -100 for not picking a RB, vs QB #1 - QB #8 is 80 and WR #1 - WR #7 is 60; so I pick RB NOTE: NUMBERS ARE MADE UP). That's the main reason you pick one position vs another. You could design a scoring algorithm that made TEs more valuable (high PPR low PPRY), but in fact that's intentionally not done - not only would that give RBs an absurd split, but moreover it means people would want to have lots of backup TEs, meaning, again, random bad TEs are required to be on rosters, which is not only bad for competitive balance [it's bad when you get an injury and you're forced to pick up a truly bad player, because it's not fun; the waiver wire should have reasonable talent on it so one injury doesn't totally screw you] but it's simply uninteresting, because many people play fantasy football in order to be interested by watching games where they follow their players. Forgive me if I don't want to have to pay attention to Joel Dressen or Joey Haynos...

I actually think the TE position being 'low' makes it more strategic, in any event. You have to choose when to take that first TE and break the position open; just like with DEF and K. It doesn't need to be moved 'up', when it's already being broken in the mid third round.

The only real effect of flex TE would be to increase by a few the number of TEs drafted, and increase slightly the average draft position of the TEs. The former change is net negative; the latter is uninteresting. Thus, don't do it.
          How does flex RB's not lead to the same eventual outcome? I'm going to have to pick up bad RB backups because people will most definitely be taking their 3rd RB in this and next round cause they can flex them. The flex means you can fulfill all back up WR and RB positions while not losing much of anything in doing so.
          Last edited by MRT144; August 6, 2010, 18:14.
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Early selections are based on the point differential (ie, RB #1 scores 300 vs RB at next spot, say RB #14, scores 200; that's -100 for not picking a RB, vs QB #1 - QB #8 is 80 and WR #1 - WR #7 is 60; so I pick RB NOTE: NUMBERS ARE MADE UP). That's the main reason you pick one position vs another. You could design a scoring algorithm that made TEs more valuable (high PPR low PPRY), but in fact that's intentionally not done - not only would that give RBs an absurd split, but moreover it means people would want to have lots of backup TEs, meaning, again, random bad TEs are required to be on rosters, which is not only bad for competitive balance [it's bad when you get an injury and you're forced to pick up a truly bad player, because it's not fun; the waiver wire should have reasonable talent on it so one injury doesn't totally screw you] but it's simply uninteresting, because many people play fantasy football in order to be interested by watching games where they follow their players. Forgive me if I don't want to have to pay attention to Joel Dressen or Joey Haynos...
            With the injury thing... The way RB's are going, you lose RB's to injury, you're going to have to pick up the Andre Brown's, Lex Hilliard's, and Brandon Jacksons anyway.

Look, if we average 5 RB's drafted (2 starters, one flex, 2 backups), 70 RB's will be drafted.

The 71st rated RB in ESPN is Andre Brown. He's the best of the expected FA pool.

No one's going to draft 3 TE's so the worst you could do, like I said, is EVERYBODY else decides to draft TE's and flex 2 TE's (which won't happen) before you even pick your first and you're left with the 28th TE which last year was Dante Rosario. But that situation will never happen.

Still, someone like Rosario is going to get more playing downs than someone like Andre Brown.

Meanwhile, by waiting to draft Rosario, you got an RB that no one else could get because they were too busy drafting 2 TE's while starting RB's and WR's were still on the board.

But I can't re-iterate enough how being forced to draft Rosario as your #1 TE is incredibly unlikely. I suspect only 1 or 2 people would draft a second TE to be a regular flex play.
            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 6, 2010, 18:19.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

And now, it's become some holy sacred thing that everyone has been drafting according to
              It's a "holy sacred thing" because the ****ING DRAFT HAS STARTED! All rules are set in stone once that happens. Otherwise it's decidedly unfair (and a massive nightmare for the commish). Sorry, draft starts, rule changes over.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's what I get for getting hyped and opening my mouth without thinking.

I meant 42, not 96.

42nd RB can start but the 15th TE can't. The 42nd RB barely plays in real life while the 15th TE is an every down starter.
                More like 36 RB, not 42 - the flex position is there for a reason, after all. And many teams have 2 starting RBs (RB by committee - something like half of teams have that). So there are around 48 starting RBs, some of which are useless, but still... On the other hand, not far past 15 on the TE list you start to get into TEs that don't play a significant factor in the passing game at all. Most players won't have a backup at the TE position that is really capable at playing TE - and I many years won't keep a backup TE, unless my RB/WR are very set or I really like a TE, or I have a pair of TEs I shuffle in and out because I took a late TE.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  It's a "holy sacred thing" because the ****ING DRAFT HAS STARTED! All rules are set in stone once that happens. Otherwise it's decidedly unfair (and a massive nightmare for the commish). Sorry, draft starts, rule changes over.
                  Did you see what Jaguar posted? Are you saying that he didn't imply it would be changed if anyone wanted to use a Flex TE?

How do you read this?

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                  not a big deal but can we expand the flex spot to include TE?

wow, cj is #1 by a longshot
                  Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                  I see that as a tradeoff of slightly uglier-looking lineup screens vs the very slim chance that someone would ever want to start a second TE.

I'm indifferent. You're right, it's not a big deal.

Comment

• It isn't going to be changed after the draft ****ing starts! Use your head, Albert!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I would be shocked if this even had a big effect anyway. Maybe MRT might snatch up a 2nd TE and one or two others might. It wouldn't imbalance jack. The people that forego a 2nd TE would end up with better RB's and WR's.

Comment

• It won't have any effect... since it won't be changed

Comment

• Again as I asked earlier, can Jaguar come back and clarify the rules, the reason for them, and his earlier statement?

I'm not going to argue further. I just noticed Jaguar has been very silent about this specific issue. Can he just say flat out if TE's can be flexed or not and the reason for that.

Comment

• I'm so happy I'm not commishing you. And I thought Sloww was bad... Sloww, I have a greater respect for you as a fantasy participant. Oh, and the same goes for Berz.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                              More like 36 RB, not 42 - the flex position is there for a reason, after all. And many teams have 2 starting RBs (RB by committee - something like half of teams have that). So there are around 48 starting RBs, some of which are useless, but still... On the other hand, not far past 15 on the TE list you start to get into TEs that don't play a significant factor in the passing game at all. Most players won't have a backup at the TE position that is really capable at playing TE - and I many years won't keep a backup TE, unless my RB/WR are very set or I really like a TE, or I have a pair of TEs I shuffle in and out because I took a late TE.
                              If the next 16 picks are RBs then we'll be on back #50. Look, I don't get how you're missing how flex RB's are just like flex TE's except that you're biased towards RB drafting strategies and not more varied and interesting drafting strategies. There's not a rational basis to allow flex RBs without allowing flex TEs because the falloff into insignificance is the same when both are allowing. Allowing just one and not the other favors one strategy over another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                I'm so happy I'm not commishing you. And I thought Sloww was bad... Sloww, I have a greater respect for you as a fantasy participant. Oh, and the same goes for Berz.
                                I hope I'm not bothering Jaguar. I have a high opinion of him. I know I might be coming at him hard a bit by bringing up that quote where he might have mis-spoke or didn't imagine it would be an issue but...

when MRT brought this issue up, it made me think. What's the reason to restrict the flex to RB/WR only?

I'll drop it as soon as Jaguar specifically states his decision on this specific issue (if TE's can be flexed or not).

I don't know if MRT will drop it but I will.

Comment

Working...
                                X