No announcement yet.

Apolyton Fantasy Football D/ST League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you all aren't anticipating is how this would negatively effect the depth of 1TE. Allowing 2 TEs would mean some people would end up with an abnormally ****ty TE, meaning people would draft TE really early - 3rd round is bad enough IMO. Making people take TE in round 2 is just stupid.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      ABS -- We did this with 14 teams in IDP last year. There are plenty of WR/RBs for everyone. The actual areas of quality shortage are QB and DEF (and TE), where the backups for half the league will be pretty bad.
      You're right. I looked at who the 112th WR/RB was last year in fantasy points. He was solid enough (89.65 points).

BUT, 18 TE's outperformed that. And with PPR, it'll probably be more.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        What you all aren't anticipating is how this would negatively effect the depth of 1TE. Allowing 2 TEs would mean some people would end up with an abnormally ****ty TE, meaning people would draft TE really early - 3rd round is bad enough IMO. Making people take TE in round 2 is just stupid.
        No. Not at all. We're not suggesting STARTING two TE's... I'm saying open up the Flex position to 2 TE's. In that case, the guys who would have to settle for a second crappy TE will have lucked up on an RB and WR relative to the guys who snatched up 2 top TE's.

Actually, I misunderstood what you were saying but still, the point stands. The guys who grab 2 top TE's are missing out on an RB or WR that you can get to make up for your crappy TE.

The 28th TE last year (meaning you wait to get a TE til EVERYBODY has gotten two which is silly anyway), scored 56.3 points. All that means is you got to snatch up your primary TE before the remaining TE's projected points dip below the remaining RB's and WR's.

Like I said, 18 TE's outscored the 112th WR/RB. As long as your primary TE is in the top 18, you're okay. That way you have enough leeway to let 13 starters go plus 4 backups/Flex TE's. You should pick your first TE within that timeframe.

Meanwhile, you get to obviously pick a better RB or WR than all the guys who go after two TE's!
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 6, 2010, 15:55.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Jermichael Finley is the BAPAY. I don't change my rules based on the perceived quality of an individual case, as decided by players who have a vested interest in how the draft goes.

BAPAY rules are negotiable in general, when they're announced, or before they're applied for the first time. But it is patently unfair to edit the rules right before they're going to be applied.

While the BAPAY's identity is non-negotiable, I'll address concerns posted here. It seems like some people don't have a proper understanding of how Yahoo's rankings work, for one thing. There also appear to be objections to Finley as a player, which may or may not be well-founded.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
            Jermichael Finley is the BAPAY. I don't change my rules based on the perceived quality of an individual case, as decided by players who have a vested interest in how the draft goes.

BAPAY rules are negotiable in general, when they're announced, or before they're applied for the first time. But it is patently unfair to edit the rules right before they're going to be applied.

While the BAPAY's identity is non-negotiable, I'll address concerns posted here. It seems like some people don't have a proper understanding of how Yahoo's rankings work, for one thing. There also appear to be objections to Finley as a player, which may or may not be well-founded.
            The funny thing is, giving Spaced Finley would be, in my opinion, advantageous to the rest of us unless there's something about Finley I don't know.

There has got to be a reason why Finley is projected at 50 while his actual draft spot is 100. Assuming actual draft spots means where he's going in the average Yahoo fantasy league... I think it's obvious that Finley's project ranking is way over-stated. His market value is at 100.

However, we're not really talking about that. We're talking about doing what you said you would do but didn't because of cosmetic reasons: the opening up of the Flex position from RB/WR to RB/WR/TE

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              No way is it Jermichael Finley. Are you sure about that Jaguar? There are certain TE's that I would definitely think come after Clark, Gates, and Davis before Finley.

If it is, I think the yahoo system must be screwy.

See how does this Yahoo projected ranking work because the projected rankings are vastly different from the 'actual' rankings?

Finley is 50 in projected but 100 in actual. Also, his fantasy points (albeit from last year) are less than guys that come after him.
              1. Yahoo's "projected" rankings, which we use for our BAPAYs, are based on who they think represents the greatest value this year in standard Yahoo! scoring. This does mean that the rankings are not customized for us, specifically. However, they are a reasonable indicator of the market value of players this year.
              2. Yahoo's "actual" rankings, which we will never use for our BAPAYs, are based on who represented the greatest value last year in standard Yahoo! scoring. This means that rookies are unranked in "actual" but pretty high up in "projected."

By "actual" rankings, the top players remaining are Thomas Jones and Ben Roethlisberger. Why? Well, Thomas Jones got 1400 yards last year, and the "actual" rankings don't know that he lost his starting job and is now going to back up Jamaal Charles on the chiefs. "Actual" rankings also don't take into account Ben Roethlisberger's suspension, and judge him only on his 2009 results. Therefore, he's 12th in actual, and 130th in projected. Using "actual" rankings, in short, would be a ****ing disaster.

3. You seem to just dislike the high projection for Jermichael Finley. His statistics last year certainly don't make him a super-elite TE, merely a good one. However, he has become a popular "sleeper" pick in a lot of fantasy circles, because he is in a stellar passing offense, and he gets rave scouting reviews.

Whether this optimism about Finley is well-founded is a matter for debate.

Whether he is the legal BAPAY by the rules I set out is not.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

• Double post, poly is slow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Assuming actual draft spots means where he's going in the average Yahoo fantasy league... I think it's obvious that Finley's project ranking is way over-stated. His market value is at 100.

However, we're not really talking about that. We're talking about doing what you said you would do but didn't because of cosmetic reasons: the opening up of the Flex position from RB/WR to RB/WR/TE
                  That is not what "actual" means, as my prior post laid out. You can find out average draft positions through yahoo's "draft central" tab.

Finley is the 5th TE drafted on average, after the 3 taken ones + Jason Witten. He's taken at the average pick slot of 52nd overall - a little bit higher than the pick we're currently at.

Comment

• There has got to be a reason why Finley is projected at 50 while his actual draft spot is 100. Assuming actual draft spots means where he's going in the average Yahoo fantasy league... I think it's obvious that Finley's project ranking is way over-stated. His market value is at 100.
                    Finley's ADP in Yahoo leagues is 51.6, so it matches up pretty well with the projected rank.
                    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Okay I misunderstood what Actual rankings were. I thought they were ADP.

However, as you said earlier:

A positional imbalance can be any one of the following:
                      - No QB in first 9 rounds
                      - No 2nd QB at end of draft
                      - 2 QBs in first 5 rounds
                      - 3 QBs
                      - No RB in first 4 rounds
                      - 4 RBs in first 6 rounds
                      - 6 RBs
                      - No WR in first 5 rounds
                      - 3 WRs in first 4 rounds
                      - 4 WRs in first 6 rounds
                      - 5 WRs in first 10 rounds
                      - 6 WRs
                      - No TE in first 12 rounds
                      - 2 TEs in first 10 rounds
                      - 3 TEs
                      - No D/ST in first 14 rounds
                      - 2 D/STs in first 10 rounds
                      - 3 D/STs
                      - No K at end of draft
                      - K in first 10 rounds
                      - 2 Ks
                      Which positional imbalance wins out? It looks to me that it would be QB because 9 < 12.

This is Spaced's team:
                      Michael Turner RB ATL
                      DeAngelo Williams RB CAR
                      Steve Smith WR CAR
                      Mike Sims-Walker WR JAX

Realistically, I think considering how this draft is going, he could probably wait for a QB but QB would normally be a bigger priority.

Now what about the Flex expanded to include TE's? You implied you would change that if it was requested but only didn't already do it because of cosmetic reasons.

There is really no good reason NOT to open up the flex to TE's what with actual 2 TE sets in football, TE's that can play WR or H-Back, etc.

Comment

• The whole "2 TEs would create a disparity of talent" argument seems to be an affront to the entire point of strategic drafting. Berzerker drafted 3 rbs and can play all 3 and it took away at least one better option for me at RB. I venture to guess he only did it because the RB can play flex. I had ample opportunity to take an RB though;

So if you open up the flex to TEs then it's your own damn fault if you dont draft one when everyone else is, just like it is when you dont draft an RB when other people are on their third.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Judging from Spaced Cowboy's post history, looks like he visits Apolyton everyday about 10PM. Doubt we will need to BAPAY him.
                          Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Also, I'm going to suggest that everyone after me in the 5th and everyone in the 6th round take a QB for one reason; You'll get your backup and Berzerker wont get a starting QB (of course that means some of you will have 3 qbs, but jesus christ it'd be hilarious to have Berzerker not get a qb)
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                              Also, I'm going to suggest that everyone after me in the 5th and everyone in the 6th round take a QB for one reason; You'll get your backup and Berzerker wont get a starting QB.

We're not supposed to collude to screw up a player. If he ends up getting screwed up, that's his fault, but it shouldn't happen because of collusion.

However, I see and agree with your larger point. Berzerker would have had opportunities to get a QB just as anyone else would have had opportunities to not get a crappy TE

And honestly, it wouldn't make a difference about Berzerker not having a QB. He could finish the draft with no QB's but everyone would be eager as hell to trade him one of their extra QB's for one of his choice RBs

Comment

• Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
                                Judging from Spaced Cowboy's post history, looks like he visits Apolyton everyday about 10PM. Doubt we will need to BAPAY him.
                                True enough. I just wish everyone would check at least twice a day. For those of us that are hovering on this it's excruciating. the life of a network admin needs entertainment!

Comment

Working...
                                X