Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's what he said, eyes. Next.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Why aren't they members.... It's a matter of CHOICE and attendence. The RULES are based on the number of team sports the school is involved in and the attendence level at football games. ALL the schools play by those rules to determine where they sit. A school can increase or decrease the number of sports, or build bigger stadiums and more actively market their football program... but again, it's up to them to make those decisions to meet the standards set by the NCAA.

And it should be up to the NCAA to set those rules, determinded by all member schools, and not just the BCS club.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• College football makes the insane amounts of money it does because of the BCS schools. I don't see the Sun Belt with a huge TV deal. So, I really don't see the reason for all these schools to be involved in the top tier of college football. It just creates a mess.

And Hell, conference championships are the closest thing to a true championship in a sport with over 100 teams. That's just the way it is. So it'd be great to have more focus on the conferences, by culling a few.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          College football makes the insane amounts of money it does because of the BCS schools.
          Nobody can argue that... and nobody is trying to stop them from doing so. The more they make, the better for the schools and the NCAA.

So, I really don't see the reason for all these schools to be involved in the top tier of college football. It just creates a mess.
          And exactly what "mess" is that. The mess that the BCS conferences don't like the fact that other conferences might be able to produce a team as good if not better than theirs? Or the mess that you simply don't want to see the BCS conferences challenged on the field of play? The fact that they can produce good teams shows they have the right to be involved and considered in the top tier of college football. They aren't creating the mess... the "mess" is the current monopoly on the system by the BCS and NOT the NCAA.

And Hell, conference championships are the closest thing to a true championship in a sport with over 100 teams.
          And there will always be conference champions, but the BCS has already opened the door by having a national championship game. So whether you like it or not, the BCS system that you support has already said to the world that conference champions are nice, but the only real champion is the one that wins their game.

That's just the way it is. So it'd be great to have more focus on the conferences, by culling a few.
          First, the BCS has already taken focus away from the conferences. And by "culling" a few, how does that put more focus on the conferences? Oh that's right, the BCS conferences are the only ones that matter... Well, I guess there are many people that would disagree with that opinion.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

• I believe you've mistaken me for someone who gives a crap about mid-major conferences (aside from the MWC and WAC).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Personally, despite all the BCS BS, I think the games as they are set up will be fun to watch. Maybe they aren't what I would have chosen, but it'll be fun anyway. Go Cinci!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I believe you've mistaken me for someone who gives a crap about mid-major conferences (aside from the MWC and WAC).

That doesn't even begin to explain by what you mean when you say "Mess"... Please explain that... or are you just trying to say that only BCS conference schools have the right to have a great team? Or that other Division 1A schools can't have a national championship like the BCS conference schools only because they were left out of the discussion by a monopoly and non NCAA organization?
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

• I mean the mess when a team like Boise State has a craptastic SOS and people are clamoring for them to get into a "National Championship" Game.

Comment

• I don't think that many people (except some in boise) are clamoring for them to get into that game, but it really doesn't matter about their SOS. If they're undefeated you just don't know for sure. You are assuming that since the SOS was weaker that the team is weaker. That's not necessarily true. We'll see. I am assuming that they will lose, but what the hey.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Out of the 5 perfect teams this year, Boise State would probably have been left out with it's worst SOS if there was a four team playoff system.

Plus, I don't think I've heard many people Clamoring for them to be in the National Championship game. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of Cincy and TCU fans think they deserve a shot and they probably have as much right as Texas.

The only real way to determine who is better is to actually have them play a game and prove it. Only two teams this year will get that chance. And I'm sure somebody will probably say that the best team doesn't always win... but if you are going to say that, it doesn't say a lot about arguing about SOS. It's not about who is the best team on paper/computers... it's about the best team on the field... winning the games.

The way it is now, you might as well just crown the national championship team now based on the computers and the polls... no real need to actually play the game since the best team might not be in the game anyway.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                        I don't think that many people (except some in boise) are clamoring for them to get into that game, but it really doesn't matter about their SOS. If they're undefeated you just don't know for sure. You are assuming that since the SOS was weaker that the team is weaker. That's not necessarily true. We'll see. I am assuming that they will lose, but what the hey.
                        Not necessarily weaker, but less deserving.

The way it is now, you might as well just crown the national championship team now based on the computers and the polls...

Comment

Not necessarily weaker, but less deserving.
                          Yes, maybe less deserving to be one of the two undefeated teams to play in the big one when there are 5 undefeated teams. But that doesn't mean i wouldn't like them to have a chance to prove that they're better. I think if they beat TCU, it's going to make TCU look unworthy, instead of making Boise look more worthy.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• That's most likely true. If Cincy beats Florida, that'd be interesting though.

Comment

Then why even bother supporting a system that hosts a National Championship game?

From what you seem to be saying, it sounds like you would like the old system back. And frankly, I think the old system was far better than the current BCS crap. The "tradition" of conference champions linked to specific bowls was a good one. It created the kind of rivalries that College Football is all about.
                              And then people could argue for all winter on who was really the best based on the numerious polls.

Instead now, we have a crappy system that "tries" to name one simply because their monopoly allows them to... Teams picked by the bowls like kids in a pick up game on the play ground.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Old System > BCS > Playoffs

Comment

Working...
                                X