Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old System > BCS > Playoffs
    like in 84 when BYU won the championship playing in Holiday bowl playing an unranked team????

granted, that only happened once, but once should be enough to show the old system didn't work either.....

Comment

• Just because a system isn't perfect, doesn't make it broken.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Frankly... no system is perfect. But it is a matter of, what can we do to make it as good as we can.

Football is a tough one since the number of games do matter to a certain degree. Unlike in basketball, baseball, or other sports where you can take all the conference champions and let them play until one team remains.

I don't think the BCS is the best system, and I'm sure there is a better way to do it that makes it fair for more people. And again, there is no reason why the NCAA shouldn't control its own sport at this level. The fact that outsiders are involved is just plain silly. No other sport would allow that, and the NCAA doesn't allow it for any of their other sports or other football divisions.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
          Boise started off highly ranked this year, too. It didn't stop multiple teams from jumping them in the rankings, despite going undefeated. The same thing will happen next year, even if they do start in the top five.
          We had a very abnormal number of undefeated teams this year. In an average year, Boise would have a good chance of being one of only a couple of undefeated teams. The national respect Boise is earning now will pay dividends when there's a situation in which the pollsters need to decide whether to put Boise or a one-loss BCS conference team into the title game. I really think they'd choose Boise at this point, which wasn't true a couple years ago...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
            There was really no art in the troll.
            That's because it wasn't a troll. Everything I said was true.

Originally posted by Imran
            I think with Drake ignoring Ming and Sloww (something I wish I could do for just this thread) the issue is diffused and doesn't require further action.

It's a shame that you can't use the ignore function. It really has made this thread much, much better.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by gjramsey View Post
              like in 84 when BYU won the championship playing in Holiday bowl playing an unranked team????

granted, that only happened once, but once should be enough to show the old system didn't work either.....

People didn't have to vote for BYU. (Then again, people are idiots.)

Michigan was an average team, 6-5 going into that game. BYU only won by a TD. I was not impressed. They hadn't beaten any good teams.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• And plenty of people in this thread probably would have said, "well, they are the only undefeated team". Other teams kept falling as they got close to the top all year as well... Washington, who was #1 for three weeks late in the season, lost to USC, and then beat then #2 Oklahoma (Washington was #4) in the Orange Bowl. The week after Washington lost, Nebraska was #1 (they had 1 loss at the time - to Syracuse), and then they lost to Oklahoma, leaving BYU the top spot.

That was also the days of few bowl games (18 in total), so #3 Florida was left playing in NO bowls (the Sugar took #11 LSU instead and the Gator took #7 South Carolina instead), which seems utterly inconcievable now.

But that sort of thing is kinda the fun of college football.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I don't have any problem with BYU winning the 1984 title; they were the only undefeated team. It would've been better for them to have played a tougher opponent in their bowl game, but it's not a huge deal in the greater scheme of things.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• For good or for bad, the government is involved.

Republican congressman Joe Barton, of Arlington, says he's not for big government, but he does think Texas Christian University's perfect season illustrates the need for government to get involved in the way college football champions are crowned.

The BCS announced Sunday that TCU will face unbeaten Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. Because neither team is from a BCS conference, neither will get to bask in the glory of a national championship. That honor will go to a BCS conference team in the BCS championship game.

"They didn't want the two non-BCS schools to go and play BCS schools because we would prove the whole system is a sham," yelled out one Frog fan at the Sunday game to wild applause.

Barton put it another way.

"They're a cartel to maximize revenue for members of the cartel, and they do it very, very well," he said. "What I'm doing through my bill is saying, 'You can't advertise your game as the national championship game unless you have a play-off.'"

The ranking Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee said the BCS series is just a money grab for the six BCS conferences. About $17 million per bowl is made.

"The BCS has hired two full time lobbyists to work against us in Washington," Barton said.

But, Barton said he expects his bill to be voted out of subcommittee soon for consideration by the full committee. Considering all the controversy this season, he thinks it might just get a little respect - the kind TCU, and Boise State for that matter, think they deserve.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• For bad...
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• One would think there would be more pressing issues for them to consider, and I agree with the guy.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• That's quite a slanted piece of reporting...

The BCS announced Sunday that TCU will face unbeaten Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. Because neither team is from a BCS conference, neither will get to bask in the glory of a national championship. That honor will go to a BCS conference team in the BCS championship game.
                          It's because neither team plays a sufficiently tough schedule that neither will bask in the glory of the national championship, not because they are not from BCS conferences.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Only one team has defeated a conference champion, and that's Boise. What does Boise need to do? Appeal for a move to the SEC?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              That's quite a slanted piece of reporting...

It's because neither team plays a sufficiently tough schedule that neither will bask in the glory of the national championship, not because they are not from BCS conferences.
                              Oh, absolutely. All TCU did was kick the crap out of every team they played.

Jeez.

Comment

• Normally I would say that there's not much you can do when you're part of a conference that sucks so your SOS isn't as good but that hasn't stopped big 10 teams from being in the title game.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X