No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 09/10 (II): We're very perverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had the impression Toronto called to talk to the ref. If the ref claims he had the intent to blow the whistle (and I presume this would be after the shot and right before it crossed the goalline), then that's that, right? Play's over.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• "I intended to stop at that red light, officer."
      "Oh, okay. Carry on, then."
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• This has happened before.

It is not when the whistle is blown. It is when the ref intended to blow it.

There was the case last year or the year before where the ref intended to blow play dead, but got jostled or otherwise fumbled the whistle. A goal six or seven seconds later was called back. IIRC.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• It's a rule that needs to change.

Why would the ref blow the whistle in this play anyway?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Lost sight of the puck would be when he is supposed to blow play dead.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• So it's doubly bad.

He intended to blow the whistle because he lost sight of the puck which was still clearly in play.

Comment

• It is a good example of an awful implementation of the combination of the two rules.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                  Isn't 'bulin just 2 years younger? PLus wasn't Rollie more consistently good over the last couple of years . My recollection was that 'bulin was pretty mediocre two years ago and that led to the Huet signing in Chicago. Then everyone was a little surprised that 'bulin stayed in the NHL and then outplayed Huet for the #1 job last year.

Don't get me wrong-- 'bulin may be just fine for the Oil but I thought that Rollie had been pretty consistently very good for the Oil so I don't really see 'bulin as an upgrade

Three years difference in age. It may be significant when Roli was insisting on two years at 39 years of age. Khabibulin will be Roli's current age when his contract expires.

From what I've read, Khabi's dip in Chicago is regarded as a one off. The fact he stuck around and battled back is a plus. Or so the CW goes.

Roli was very good in Edmonton. Better than Khabibulin has been so far, I think. I think we could look at any given twenty game stretch in the last two years and find one or more games stolen for the Oilers by Roli. Some big games against top teams. Problem is that didn't get the Oilers anywhere, and by the time he finishes a two year contract he will be 41.

I expect the Oilers braintrust simply did not see it likely that Roli would still be stoning San Jose when he is 40. They also viewed Khabi as the best FA goalie on the market.

Doesn't make me like the Khabibulin contract though.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• NOBODY commented on the ass kicking the Flames took the other night from Chicago. I did expect a bad loss somewhere along the way soon since overall the Flames had not been playing that great as they relied on Kipper to save their asses. I just didn't expect it to be against Chicago since I thought the combination of Chicago eliminating them last year and the fact the Flasmes blew a 5-0 lead earlier this year would combine and make the Chicago game one where the Flames played at their best.

But it didn't happen. Maybe this will be a good thing for the team in some ways. Its tough to be all critical on the team when they are winning so many games. Now Sutter has carte blanche with them as no one would blame him no matter what measures he takes. The bottom line for me is that the team is nowhere near as strong defensively as I expected

Sutter has been quoted as saying stuff like he cannot believe how casual the team is aboput things . .. To me that comes down to leadership and there you have to look at the Flames nucleus since it seems to be an issue that has been there through a couple of coaches
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Oh-- and I know its only one game but it was nice to see les Canadiens frustrate WASHINGTON last night. It was an excellent effort. I still have doubts about this team but if their defence can play that well, perhps they just might be a legitimate playoff type team
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Just to be clear, it is Brent Sutter you are referring to Flubber...and not Darryl right? I would think the changes that Brent would make wouldn't be as drastic as Darryl, just not sure what kind of changes you are referring to.

btw, I suspect the reason people didn't comment on the 7-1 loss to the Black Hawks was because of the comeback earlier in the year. After Chicago proved they could come back from 5-0, should anyone be surprized they won 7-1 outright?

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
                        "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• And there was a thread about it on the main forum, sort of.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
                            Just to be clear, it is Brent Sutter you are referring to Flubber...and not Darryl right? I would think the changes that Brent would make wouldn't be as drastic as Darryl, just not sure what kind of changes you are referring to.

I was talking about Brent. Obviously a coach's options are generally limited to controlling ice time and how a team practices. He's already done the "bag skate" thing and got a reasonable effort for a couple of games. The other option is usually the "bench a star" gambit but its tough to know who. Maybe sitting Phaneuf . . .

Right now I am uncertain how necessary it is anyway. The Flames had a good effort today against what has been a very good Kings team this year. Other tham one 38 second period when the Kings got both their goals, the defense was pretty good and the whole team seemed to make a good effort. Shots against was 23 . . . so maybe his message his getting through (or maybe it was just one game . . . time will tell)

Sitting more than 1-2 guys would need Darryl's involvement (agreeing to do a big call up) but as I said its probably not necessary at the moment. If the loss to Chicago turns out to be an isolated event, and the team is improving its work ethic, they should be fine.

Of course Darryl always has the trade option too but he seems pretty happy with his talent and trading to change team attitudes would be very tricky.

Personally I am willing to give this team a chance. After all they still do have a very good record despite my misgivings about their play sometimes. But when Brent starts mouthing off in the media about never having seen such a complacent lack of urgency in a team, I tend to believe him and not think its all just rhetoric

Comment

• You also questioned thier leadership, and another of the coach's options would be changing the leadership (Captain and Assistant's) but I would think that would be his most drastic change and wasn't sure if that was what you were alluding to.

"Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                                And there was a thread about it on the main forum, sort of.
                                I assume you are among those that refer to off topic as the "Main Forum" but I sincerely hope you are in the minority of that opinion. I only venture the off topic rarely, and every time I do I wonder why I bother but I wouldn't hardly call it the main forum of Apolyton and hope no one else does either .

Comment

Working...
                                X