AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 09/10 (II): We're very perverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    I've got a dedicated thread on the H1N1 nonsense in the main forum.

Ahh-- I often don't go in there
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Don't look now, but Raycroft is looking pretty good as of late. Whodathunkit? In all honesty, not me.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• He's always been incredibly streaky. When he's got the confidence, he's good, when he loses it, he's the worst goalie in history.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I've got a dedicated thread on the H1N1 nonsense in the main forum.
          You mean this isn't the main forum?

I came to Apolyton for Civ , I stayed for Other Games , and now I only occassionally check out Sports Forum .....which is this Main Forum of which you speak?

[action=Sparrowhawk][/action]
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Curtis Macklebackup just played a helluva game.

38 saves, and the win!
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Curtis Macklebackup just played a helluva game.

38 saves, and the win!
              He was actually pretty darn amazing and stole the game

Although the Flames definitely seemed to compete harder they still were not great defensively and many of the Flames foot soldiers that had excelled early, again looked very normal

The Flames won because Macklebackup was better than Turco and bacause Iggy was a man on a mission

If Kipper didn't play this one because he wasn't feeling well, I would sit him again and give macklebackup an unheard of back to back start
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Today's Columbus Dispatch reports that, in spite of significantly better fan support and an improving, exciting young team, the Phoenix Coyotes debacle is on its way to repeating itself here in Ohio.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• In related news, last night had record low attendance of 11,200 at the Pepsi Center in Colorado. And the team is #1 in the West...

I remember when they had like 300 consecutive sellouts.

WTF is happening there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    Today's Columbus Dispatch reports that, in spite of significantly better fan support and an improving, exciting young team, the Phoenix Coyotes debacle is on its way to repeating itself here in Ohio.

Interesting article but you have to wonder at some of the numbers and assumptions that are behind them. For instance why is the team/arena running a money losing concert business? The article implies that that business is incapable of making money. Or is it the case that running concerrts helps the bottom line since an empty night at the arean loses x while a concert night mean a loss of something less for that night

Overall it seems the article makes a pretty decent case for government involvement of some type. The losses are not that huge and it actually appears that the tax revenues and spin offs per year far exceed operating losses. So something as simple as a tax reduction or incentive could get the team to break even and government would still be better off than in the "team folds or moves" scenario
                    Last edited by Flubber; November 5, 2009, 13:55.

Comment

In related news, last night had record low attendance of 11,200 at the Pepsi Center in Colorado. And the team is #1 in the West...

I remember when they had like 300 consecutive sellouts.

WTF is happening there?
                      My partial theory would be that a lot of corporate support disappeared. Combine last season with the early projections for a terrible team this season AND the remaining worries about recession----it makes hockey costs an easy cut.

So I wouldn't be shocked if their season ticket holder numbers are down--- That wouldn't totally explain it though -- One would think that a streaking team in what has always been a good market would attract lots of interest

perhaps the lack of a superstar face? Statsny could qualify but he was out for so much of last year

Comment

• Kevin Bieksa will probably be a FIRST LINE WINGER tonight for Vancouver.

HAHAHAHA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                          My partial theory would be that a lot of corporate support disappeared. Combine last season with the early projections for a terrible team this season AND the remaining worries about recession----it makes hockey costs an easy cut.

So I wouldn't be shocked if their season ticket holder numbers are down--- That wouldn't totally explain it though -- One would think that a streaking team in what has always been a good market would attract lots of interest

perhaps the lack of a superstar face? Statsny could qualify but he was out for so much of last year

Fans are talking about a high ticket price. Combine that with what you've outlined.

Also, there was a significant base ball game played last night.
                          Last edited by notyoueither; November 5, 2009, 20:46.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Souray has been free of symptoms for three or four days. He has started skating. Could be back this time next week or so.

Says he has no hard feelings towards Iginla. Respects him as a person and a player, and so on, and yadda yadda.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I was sort of hoping he would announce a bounty. Bounties are fun.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X