This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh and good pace guys!! We hit 21 picks in a day essentially
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Frankly, I've always thought that the early run on goalies (happens every year) is unnecessary, but ultimately self-perpetuating. I think it makes more sense to take more premium skaters first, but once three or four people start taking goalies, it just snowballs. I know I wouldn't have picked a goalie yet if I wasn't pretty sure that there would only be the bottom-feeders/Toronto starters left if I didn't.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki View Post
        Frankly, I've always thought that the early run on goalies (happens every year) is unnecessary, but ultimately self-perpetuating. I think it makes more sense to take more premium skaters first, but once three or four people start taking goalies, it just snowballs. I know I wouldn't have picked a goalie yet if I wasn't pretty sure that there would only be the bottom-feeders/Toronto starters left if I didn't.
        Goalies are singularly the most important position. The fact that there's usually only ~30 starters means the pool is limited, since only about 8 of those are "desirable" goalies and the rest are "I guess I'll have to live with them" kind. I'll always draft a goalie in the 1st or 2nd round, depending on who is available.

It's very necessary.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
          Well the second round thus far have certainly validated my choice/ need to take a goalie-- There are still some good ones left though.

Asher-- does this qualify as a run on goalies yet? Given our rules I see this as expected but 6 of 9 lately have been goalies and the only 3 managers without a goaltender are the 3 managers to come (the owners of Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby) I suspect that each of them will choose a goalie with their second or third round pick but who knows maybe someone will say screw it and go for scoring and hope that later drafters won't start picking off the goalies in the fourth round as quality backups
          Now it is officially a goalie run, yes.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Goalies are singularly the most important position. The fact that there's usually only ~30 starters means the pool is limited, since only about 8 of those are "desirable" goalies and the rest are "I guess I'll have to live with them" kind. I'll always draft a goalie in the 1st or 2nd round, depending on who is available.

It's very necessary.
            Quite right. Due to position scarcity it is IMPERATIVE to grab at least one goalie in the first two rounds, IMO. Starting 2 Gs demands it be paid attention too early on.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post

It's very necessary.
              I disagree. It's true that there's a limited supply, but the way our league is set up, they're only really competing for 2 categories - shutouts are rare enough and the spread between goalies low enough that this statistic is almost a wildcard.
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Frankly, I've always thought that the early run on goalies (happens every year) is unnecessary, but ultimately self-perpetuating. I think it makes more sense to take more premium skaters first, but once three or four people start taking goalies, it just snowballs. I know I wouldn't have picked a goalie yet if I wasn't pretty sure that there would only be the bottom-feeders/Toronto starters left if I didn't.
                THat was my take only more so due to my draft position,If I didn't take a goalie with my first pair of picks we would be at pick 36 before I even get a chance again.Its not inconceivable and even somewhat likely that I would be looking at the 15th ranked goalie by then as my best choice -- Thats not what i want as my number 1 guy
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• That's why it's good to have a solid #1, though. Improves your odds at that wildcard, will get consistent starts, reliably push up the other 2 categories from the weaker 2nd goalie.

I've been burned many years by bad goalies, or injuries (I drafted Brodeur last year...). So having a great, reliable goalie is essential for me. Otherwise I'm bitter all season.

It's far easier to replace scoring from the free agent pool than it is to nab goaltenders from the free agent pool.

Comment

I disagree. It's true that there's a limited supply, but the way our league is set up, they're only really competing for 2 categories - shutouts are rare enough and the spread between goalies low enough that this statistic is almost a wildcard.
                    Oh and I agree on shutouts-- aI would probably prefer GAA but I think that got poo-pooed a couple of years ago

But even if its only 2 categories, they are two categories that can be won or lost for you by 1 or 2 players.

With skaters there is no one skater that can have that big an impact-- Even if Alex O. gets 9-12 points in 3 games if all your other players have crappy weeks, you could still lose all the offensive catagories.

If your top goalie has a big week you probably 3 categories even if you sit your other keeper all week

Comment

• I just sent a PM to joncha. Does he have timezone issues? I can't recall where he lives now.

Comment

I just sent a PM to joncha. Does he have timezone issues? I can't recall where he lives now.
                        He probably just didn't anticipate our rocket speed

Comment

• That's what she said.

Oh, yeah.

Comment

• In about an hour I'll be unable to have access to a computer for about 7-8 hours. Thursdays are my worst days of the week (3 1.5 hour classes and a 3 hour lab. The lab could be shorter than that though...)
                            Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

• Did you want to leave a list with someone?

Comment

• I suppose I could. Rather not, but if anyone want to volunteer I'll make one.
                                Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Working...
                                X