No announcement yet.

2010 Olympic Hockey Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben is obviously a retarded child, but I've no problem in beating him senseless.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Except he's not. His numbers are worse, and they got worse as the games got bigger.
      So did Brodeur, enough so that he cost his team the series. Why would I pick Brodeur who choked in game seven against an inferior team?

Because Dryden is not competing with Luongo for the job. Brodeur is. Comparing them is apt.
      So why are we bringing up all the accolades he's earned over the last 10 years? He's a wonderful goalie, but he's not the best right now.

This is demonstrably false.
      His season stats last year were much worse then Luongo. Why is this even an issue?

Tell us, what was Luongo's GAA in the 2nd round as the games got bigger and teams got tougher?
      Better then Brodeur's last year. I'll take 2 wins over a goose egg.

Carolina was a far better team than St Louis was.
      Most picked St. Louis over Vancouver and they got swept. I think this is revisionism. The Canucks swept them so they must have been a terrible team. From what I see, Vancouver played lights out and destroyed one of the hottest NHL teams.

Carolina on the other hand edged out New Jersey, mostly because when the chips were down, Brodeur choked. All he had to do was hold in the 3rd and they would have won, and moved on.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        So did Brodeur, enough so that he cost his team the series. Why would I pick Brodeur who choked in game seven against an inferior team?
        Choked?

Oh, you're such a dishonest little ****.

Brodeur in the elimination game: 4 GA, 87% svp.
        Luongo in the elimination game: 7 GA, 76% svp.

Which one of these is a complete choke, and which is a not-so-good game?

His season stats last year were much worse then Luongo. Why is this even an issue?
        Regular season doesn't mean anything.

And "Much worse"? You're such a dishonest ****ing *****.

Luongo: 0.920 svp, 2.34 GAA.
        Brodeur: 0.916 svp, 2.41 GAA.

Much worse my ass. ****.

Most picked St. Louis over Vancouver and they got swept. I think this is revisionism.
        You're right, that is revisionism on your part. First time you were honest on this forum, and go figure that it was an accident.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Most picked St. Louis over Vancouver
          Not to get involved in this but WTF!

Don't know about the "experts" in the media, but everyone I heard/saw in Chicago and on ESPN were anticipating Chicago facing Vancouver in the 2d round. Except of course the standard "anything can happen" trope.

In our own picks here, 10 of 13 picked Vancouver over the Blues FWIW.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

And I only picked St Louis because I hate Ben.

Comment

Choked?
              Yep, exactly so.

Brodeur in the elimination game: 4 GA, 87% svp.
              Luongo in the elimination game: 7 GA, 76% svp.

Which one of these is a complete choke, and which is a not-so-good game?
              One was injured the other? Choke if I would define one. 87 percent is atrocious. Against an inferior team.

Regular season doesn't mean anything.
              The hell it doesn't!

Luongo: 0.920 svp, 2.34 GAA.
              Brodeur: 0.916 svp, 2.41 GAA.
              Thank you. Clearly Brodeur was outplayed by Luongo in the regular season.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Don't know about the "experts" in the media, but everyone I heard/saw in Chicago and on ESPN were anticipating Chicago facing Vancouver in the 2d round. Except of course the standard "anything can happen" trope.
                Up here, the majority picked Vancouver, but there are way more Americans then Canadians. Most Americans were backing St. Louis.

In our own picks here, 10 of 13 picked Vancouver over the Blues FWIW.
                Most of those were Canadians. I don't think Poly is very representative.

As for Chicago, the Canucks didn't quite perform as you would have expected them to over the regular season, you would have expected them to go 7 games based on their record.

Comment

We're not talking about the actual series, but rather what was expected.

Similarly, saying "most Americans were backing St. Louis" is meaningless in this context. That's nationalism, not predictions based on actual analysis.

Regarding the picks of Canadians, I should not have to point out that hockey is treated with quasi-religious fervor (fervour) up there, so the natural expectation would be that their picks would be more rational and reasoned. Similarly, Canadians, from my POV, do have their favorite teams (like all major sports fandoms), but few of those picking here have ties to either St Louis or Vancouver.

Poly picks in the Chi-Calgary series were 7-6 Chicago -- roughly in line with 4 vs 5 matchup (IIRC the seedings correctly).

As for the Poly picks being mostly Canadians -- I would suggest that argues for a reasonably high level of analysis, as opposed to more casual fans like me.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

St. Louis was a better team then Carolina was last year,
                    By what measure? Carolina also retains a number of folks from their cup run from a few years back so were not as 'aw shucks just happy to be here" as the blues. Carolina actually played extremely well in the first two rounds before Pittsburgh had their way.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

and on the main argument-- Luongo hasn't won anything . Until he does, Broduer is presumptive # 1 at this time. Both Asher and I see Luongo as "1A". You may know (or may not, you have surprised me before) that this means that while your second option, if this goalie gets in, you ride them for as long as they are hot/good.

We arte also talking about who ranks where in July for an event that won't occur until after about 40 regular season games. With the consistency of both Luongo and Brodeur I feel pretty confident we will still be thinking of them as the top contenders next January but who knows? Injuries or a streak of poor play by either could push them down in the rankings.

Also we should not forget the others

Cam Ward has a cup and a reputation as being good in the game 7s so again a reputation of handling the pressure big games well

Fleury just won a cup-- on Ben's seeming criteria of "how many games did you win lately/" he would trounce them all and be # 1

Mason? Often spectatcular but young-- I would not be shocked if he became the best goalie in the league for a long long time but he simply doesn't have the experience yet that would make the GM comfortable putting him in
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        And I only picked St Louis because I hate Ben.
                        oh kinda ditto-- I don't hate Ben but I only picked St Louis because I knew ben was such a fan

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          Similarly, saying "most Americans were backing St. Louis" is meaningless in this context. That's nationalism, not predictions based on actual analysis.

and look at the Boston-Montreal picks

The only Canadiens picking Montreal were people like me that picked them out of duty as a long time fan and not out of any real expectation they would win

So to say it was 10-3 on Poly because canadians will pick the Canadian team is just hogwash

Comment

I don't want to ruin my weekend reading Ben's posts.

So I'm going to presume he was completely wrong and tried pathetically to weasel out of his arguments by changing the arguments or resorting to semantics (often citing further bull**** and incorrect facts).

A truly pathetic human being.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              I don't want to ruin my weekend reading Ben's posts.

So I'm going to presume he was completely wrong and tried pathetically to weasel out of his arguments by changing the arguments or resorting to semantics (often citing further bull**** and incorrect facts).

A truly pathetic human being.
                              Why would it ever bother you? I am simply amused by his bald ass assertions like

1. Sedin is a better goalscorer than Cammy (false on the goal pergame numbers)
                              2. St Louis was a stronger team last year than Carolina ( Carolina was better in points, wins, losses and both goals for and against)
                              3. Most people picked Stlouis over vancouver (on poly it was 10-3 for the canucks and both asher and I picked the blues as anti-ben statements-- the experst I saw were soemthing like 80-90% picking the canucks)
                              4. The age thing-- its funny that 32 does equal 34 in ben's world and its suddenly relevant that someone else is 38.
                              5. I still find it funny that picking up the best available d-man 'did nothing to improve the Flames"

So Asher just string them together like I do and its all good for a laugh

Comment

I can laugh at the odd stupid comment.

But it really bothers me that somebody so consistently stupid shares the same internet space as I do. I don't understand why he is here. He is not liked. He's got the odd person like SlowwHand who pats him on the back, but surely he could find a better fit on other sites.

He's just bat**** crazy and a whole lot of stupid at once.

Comment

Working...
                                X