Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Verlander, here are his ERA+ the last 3 seasons: 123, 92, 117 (though this year his SO numbers are insane). So the question becomes... what happened last season?

One interesting thing is if you extrapolate his walks out, Verlander is on pace to meet the BB totals of 2007 and 2006. He threw over 20 more BBs last season than it seems his average is.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Fatigue, maybe, from throwing so many innings so young? Honestly, that's the only physical explanation I can come up with, and it's not much of one. Either that or some minor injury that just effed up his mechanics. Must have been more psychological than anything. If he can keep this up, the Cy Young (and many even the MVP) looks like a two-horse race between him and Greinke.
      If the Tigers can take this series against KC and put some distance between them and the rest of the AL Central, I'll start to breathe just a bit easier...
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Perhaps the inning explanation may make sense, but then it'd hit in 2007, I'd imagine, not 2008 (I'd think). Unless in 2007 there were too many games where his pitch count was over 120 (Pitcher Abuse Points territory).

His K's per 9 were still good, it was just the increase in walks that killed him.

As for AL Cy Young, calm down . Long season and all. And besides, Verlander isn't even in the Top 10 in ERA+ yet (and Greinke has an ERA+ of 549, I **** you not). And, of course, forgetting about Halladay would be a mistake.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Like I said, if he can keep this up. Apart from those two bad starts at the beginning of the season, his numbers are about identical with Greinke.

Comment

• Still way too optimistic .

Comment

• IF, damn you, IF. I didn't say it was GOING to happen.

His final line today: 7 IP, 0 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 8 K.

Comment

• I think it's a pretty safe bet that this is the Tigers' year.
                In the division.
                Tallest midget kind of thing.

Yeah, Verlander is awesome when he's on -- and that was basically all of May. My fantasy team thanks him.

If Detroit had a better running game and a reliable closer, they could be scary.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• And you guys laughed when I took him in the 15th round...

I had read something during spring training that said he had messed up his mechanics somehow last season and was working on getting back to his old delivery.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    IF, damn you, IF. I didn't say it was GOING to happen.
                    I'll repeat

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Still way too optimistic .
                    It's like saying "If Greinke can continue his run", where is 0% chance he will (well Verlander isn't having quite as good a run as that)

Comment

• Gary Sheffield is freaking ON FIRE... and no better time for it either as now Beltran has to sit for a bit.

Comment

• I'm surprised Sheff has this much left. The Mets sure do need him, too. Santos' HR off Papelbon was great, btw, as was Papelbon's reaction (total disbelief, anger).

The Yanks get Posada back tonight, which is huge. Good news on Melky's shoulder too. Nady is close. The team is getting healthy... now if they can just stay that way (yeah right).

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• I believe the Mets get Beltran back today, which is great (he's not only their best hitter, but his great fielding is essential). And Pagan can switch into RF (until Church comes back from the DL) and uber-prospect Martinez can ease into the role.

I think Sheff is going to be full time for a while (or at least get by far the most swings in a rotation with Tatis and Reed) as Murphy takes over at 1B.

Comment

• 17 errorless games for the Yanks. I am envious of such fielding percentage. Though I wonder what their range is (as we know Jeter is horrid, and the newly added Teixiera is very, very good)

Comment

• Halliday won again. 9-1.

2 blown saves in the losing streak, or he'd be 11-1 by the start of June.

What was that about the Cy Young?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Please stop bragging about wins.
                                "

Comment

Working...
                                X